BL-22 vs 39a

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

BL-22 vs 39a

Post by foxtrapper »

Which is the better gun :?: I'm talking about new models. The Marlin has a rebounding hammer, does the BL-22. This will be my first lever .22 .
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Re: BL-22 vs 39a

Post by cubrock »

foxtrapper wrote:Which is the better gun :?: I'm talking about new models. The Marlin has a rebounding hammer, does the BL-22. This will be my first lever .22 .
This is a Ford/Chevy question. You can't go wrong with either. The BL22 has a shorter stroke and is a lighter gun. The 39A is a take-down and is high quality all the way. Buy whichever you prefer after handling them.
.........THE TWINS..........

Boge Quinn
Shootist

Post by Boge Quinn »

I've got both, and I'd have a tough time picking between the two. I like a straight-grip stock, so between my 39A and my BL-22, I'd take the BL-22. Between my Mountie and my BL-22, I don't think I could make the choice. That's why they print money.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

You can stop by here and try both. I like the full sized Marlin for mimicing practice with my full sized guns. I have the sights set up exactly the same and the distance between sights is identical - so I get my the same exact sight picture as my centerfire. The BL is small and light. To me, if I shoot it with a scope it feels similar to my Sav99 in trigger pull and sight picture, but lighter. Either one is a winner. I know of 2 excellent BL's I can point you to if you don't have one spotted already.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I, too, have had both - and found I was overpowering the light weight of the BL-22, causing unsteadiness in sighting, leading me to prefer the Marlin.

Since YMMV, indeed, be sure to try before you buy.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I find the Marlin very steady - have not shot the other.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I'd rather provide jobs for Americans by buying a Marlin. The Japanese seem do be doing well enough without our support.

The BL-22 seems small and toy like IMO. It's too small. The 39A is very much like shooting your centerfire hunting rifle.

The BL-22 is $50.00 cheaper though.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have both a BL22 and a Mounty, and I used to have a pistol gripped 39A. I like them all for different reasons. In some ways I like the little light BL22 with factory open irons the best for plinking and it just handles like a wane, and for some funny reason that particular conbination of sight radius and the sights on that gun, really work for me, and I shoot it really well for open sights. I can't say that that about a lot of guns.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

39 a

Post by Hillbilly »

I have a 39 A and It's on the short list of rifles I wont sell .

The extra weight makes it hang better for me.

I own a Rem speedmaster and Ruger 77/22, too..I can outshoot either with the Marlin offhand

Those Brownings and Winchesters have a nice look...
~Jeff
JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JeffG »

well, I'll throw my two cents in. I went on a binge and bought both this past month. The 39A was dirt-cheap and I tried to shoot it for the first time this past week, turns out the firring pin is broken. $18 plus shipping got me a new one, and (I'm NO gunsmith) it looks like a snap to drop it in. This gun is just the right weight and length for me, it comes up beautifully, and it's built for ruff service. I wouldn't hesitate to toss it behind the seat of the truck (on a blanket, of course) and just leave it there all the time. I'll let you know how it shoots next week. The BL-22 does seem a little prissy, all little and shiney, with all those curley-Q's on the receiver. I'm afraid I'll scatch it just taking it out of the cabinet. I thought I'd keep it pristine for the grand kids...NOT!! I took it out (...and scratched it). MAN!! what shooter!! The action was effortless, smooth as a swiss watch, and effortless to sight with the open sights. It feels small but I will certainly take it to the next "everybody welcome" match at the gun club, just for the fun of winning with a little light weight lever. After the next scatch it will probably be my permanent squirrel gun.
There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle

-Albert Einstein
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

Both mine are 40+ yrs old but the Browning shoots better.
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
Dakota7
Levergunner

Post by Dakota7 »

Bought my first Marlin 39a in 1968 and would NEVER part with it.
Dakota7
bobbyjack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bobbyjack »

gon2shoot wrote:Both mine are 40+ yrs old but the Browning shoots better.
My Marlin is a 1948 model(old like yours)thats before Micro-Groove barrels,maybe thats why yours is under snuff.

Bob :roll: