Where to go in Mexico for meds?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Where to go in Mexico for meds?

Post by Travis Morgan »

My girlfriend is type 1 diabetic, and has been since she was 7, so insurance doesn't cover it. Her meds cost WAY too much. I'm thinking of surprising her with a trip to Mexico to get a year's supply or so. My question is, where do I go, exactly? We live spitting distance from I-35 in Kansas. If anyone has a name of a particular doctor's office where they speak english well, I'd certainly appreciate it. If I'm liable to accidentally see a bunch of herds of hogs while I'm on my way back, well, I won't be upset.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Re: Where to go in Mexico for meds?

Post by pharmseller »

BE VERY CAREFUL BUYING MEDS OUTSIDE THE U.S.

I sorta have a dog in this fight because I'm in pharmaceutical sales, so take it for what it is worth.
Make sure you know what her meds look like, and compare them to what she gets.
The FDA, with all its problems, serves a vital quality-control role. Countries w/o such a department (or one that is largely ignored) have significant risks.
Be careful of outdated meds, especially with time/potency sensitive compounds.

If she has problems affording her meds, have the doctor help her with assistance programs.
Go to www.needymeds.org for almost all of the info she needs.
Pay attention to the left column for her particular issues.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The City of Angles Clinic in Juarez and the Star Medical Center in Juarez are somewhat popular medical treatment centers for El Paso's non-English speaking population - but everyone at either place speaks English. I don't know how/if they will provide diabetic supplies but there is a pharmacia' in both facilities.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have lots of patients with similar dilemmas (thanks to the counterproductive meddling of government), but I agree on the overseas stuff being potentially dangerous!

First, talk to her doctor; we hate 'those' kinds of discussions, but sometimes we really can find [...plug your ears, pharmseller... :wink: ] generics that work fine (after all they used to be the hot new brand-names of their day, and some are made by the same companies or high-quality competitors). Sometimes I'll find a way a patient can use a pill-cutter to save as much as $75 a month on just one prescription, too.

Second, follow pharmseller's advice, and check out the drug company's own programs; they give away tens of millions of dollars of medication to the folks 'left out' in that awful zone between regular insurance and Medicaid. A bunch of paperwork isn't as 'fun' as a drive to Mexico, but costs you less and will get you the genuine drugs vs. potentially a fake. Some doctors offices will do most of the paperwork for you and so forth for a nominal fee.

Third, if you do go 'internet' or 'international' realize that the government may or may not feel kindly about it; I don't know what kind of trouble you could get into, if any, but even non-narcotic 'drugs' crossing borders can be misconstrued, confiscated, etc.

Fourth, there actually are quite a few reasons you might get genuine, high-quality brand-name drugs from other nations cheaper. One is that the U.S. government often engages in agreements where they force our drug companies to sell stuff below their cost to other nations (so those with socialized health care can pretend it is working and 'affordable') in exchange for cheap canola oil or rubber or whatever. What of course then happens is our drug companies have to offset that forced loss by raising prices domestically, and the price raise mostly affects individuals who aren't insured, because our government has also given the insurance companies carte blanche exemption from basic anti-trust laws when they negotiate with the drug companies, and they will get unrealistically good prices accordingly, leaving the cash-pay patient to take up the slack. The hard part is knowing whether the 'overseas' products are 'genuine' or not, and even our own wholesalers and retail pharmacies occasionally get fooled and are stocking counterfeits without knowing it. Still, if you are dealing with a reputable outfit, you could get the real products and save a lot of money.

Finally, at the purchase end of the chain, insurance companies are also given the right to force the pharmacy to add what is basically a 'penalty' of sometimes a hundred dollars or so if the patient dares to purchase a product that is 'brand name', or one that is a 'non-preferred' brand. I say 'penalty' because in many cases the additional amount far exceeds what the actual amount is which the pharmacy will be paid. (As an example the cholesterol medication I was taking cost me $71, but the printout says I 'saved' $210 due to my insurance; the pharmacist told me what they would actually be paid would be my $71 plus about $12 or so from the insurer. In other words, they actually are willing to part with a bottle of the pills for maybe $85 or less, but the insurer has contractually required them to charge me not $85, but $281, if I try to buy those same pills myself. The insurance companies can this way pressure the patient to pay extra premiums for 'prescription coverage' they might otherwise forego.) Anyway, I mention this all because in some cases, being aware of this type pricing, you may be able to find a pharmacy which will actually part with her needed medications without tacking on the 'penalty' - they may be able to do a limited amount as a 'charitable' business expense (that is what physicians can do, as well, though if the insurance companies find out we overuse that charitable discounting to our uninsured patients, we can get in legal trouble). Or maybe you can just find a pharmacist who is willing to defy the insurance-government cartel!

Good luck.

Most importantly, be sure she gets a good primary care doctor (family practitioner, or internist), and doesn't rely on an endocrinologist or gynecologist for the basics. The 'basics' (a complete physical yearly and a followup once or twice) may add about $365 per year but can spot so many things early and prevent so many big problems later, that being penny-wise there is being pound-foolish. For type one diabetics, most primary care doctors will involve an endocrinologist due to their expertise in the mixed-insulin regimens, pumps, etc., but if she finds an fp's or internists comfortable with that stuff it could save money and trips to the doctor. Some stuff can be had 'free' too - the LittleRedDoor program does free mammograms through most any hospital, and planned parenthood isn't my choice for most 'female' issues, but they at least can do a Pap yearly for free.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

I wouldn't go to Mexico for free dog food!

And,.... I live 50 miles from the border,... and have 5 dogs!

Be careful what you ask for.
Last edited by 76/444 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Travis: Canada is safer in many ways, but no hogs to hunt!
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

I'm no expert, but even with a legitimate script from a legitimate American doctor, I don't think Customs will let you return with more than a 30 day supply of any meds. I could be wrong.
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Travis Morgan....with all the violence at the border it is best not to try and save some money and risk getting mugged or worse. Several Mexican women including young girls were murdered within sight of a border crossing last week.....now most will tell ya that Gringos are safe but stray bullets don't miss just cause your Anglo.....just my opinion....

jumbeaux
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Palomas,
Just south of Deming, N.M.
Plenty of unemployed Mexican youth hanging around the border, willing to "run" into Mexico for you.
Still, caution is advised,
A gringo and his money are soon parted.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Mescalero,

I'm not willing to, or planning to, do anything illegal. I plan to get ahold of Border Patrol and Dept. of state in advance to make sure that we don't exceed any limits on transport or break any laws.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Did not suggest you do anything illegal, just informing you that a cottage industry has sprung up; consisting of "runners" that can travel " relativly " unmolested in Mexico, who are willing to conduct legal transactions in Mexico for you, for a fee.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

If y'all do go and drive over the border remember.....if you park and one of the local lads offer to watch your car for a couple of bucks...pay him or you might come back to a missing wheel or two....and keep some small bills in your front blue jeans pocket along with your wallet in the other front pocket. If you do get "shaken down" a small bill goes a long way...they don't give ya back change for a C note....DO NOT CARRY A FIREARM OR ANY AMMO into Mexico !!!!!!

jumbeaux
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Nuevo Progresso, south of Progresso, Texas in Hidalgo County is a community set up to cater to such needs as yours. Main street is five or six blocks long and linned to pharmacys, eye doctors, dentists, etc. etc. The gringo trade is what keeps this town alive.

The local cops won't bother you as the local businesses pay them not to bother you. There was a spell a year or so ago, when the mexican cops started pulling gringos over and putting them through the drill. They were wanting a raise from the local business community and that was their way of asking. They got it!

You don't need a Mexican doctor or any perscription to buy meds. Coming back into the US, do not fail to tell them what you have. They may or may not ask to see a perscription. A perscription for a US doctor is what they are looking for. You old empty US med bottle will do. DO NOT buy any meds with any kind of narcotic in it.. Don't do it!!!!!

I don't know how much you can buy, before the Feds say no. The worse that will happen is you have to go back to the pharmacy and get your money back. They don't seem to care much as long as it is not a narcotic. Try and bring back a narcotic and they will get interest real quick.

Park your care on the US side and walk if you are not comfortable driving in that crazy house. You will only have a short walk. If you do drive park in the lot of Arturos a great place to eat. The attendant will give you a ticket, which will be stamped when you eat there. The food is wonderful and clean. No need to worry about bugs. Either before or after you eat you can do your shopping.

Don't forget to tip the parking attendant when they give you the ticket and again when you return it to them stamped. Be generous, three or four bucks each way will get their attention for certain.

Nuevo Progresso is as safe as any place in Mexico although they did have a shoot out right in front of Arturos a couple of weeks ago between the Mexican Army and some drug cowboys. There were a couple dead on both sides, but no tourists were hurt and the place was full of them.

I live here on the border and folks down here buy their meds in Mexico on a regular basis. Most are made by American or European companies with plants in Mexico or Central America and the quality is good. My son-in-law is a pharmacist and says he would not hesitate to buy meds there. Of course, it is not American and the FDA is not looking over the shoulder of who makes and sells them. I have lived in South American and on the border most of my life and I have no concerns about the meds. Cost will be from 25% to 50% of what you would pay here depending on which med it is.
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

Charles gives excellent advise. While I haven't been to Nuevo Progresso, I did live in Arizona and used to run across the border at Nogales all the time for meds. and liquor.

99% of the time when I was crossing the border back into the U.S. all I had to do was say "I'm a U.S. citizen" and keep on walking. The border patrol guys don't give a schit about whether or not you're toting prescription drugs - they're interested in smuggling of the green and white stuff....and they know from their "profiling" who to target and hassle.

FWIW, I don't trust our govt. (FDA, etc.) to protect me from a darn thing!
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

jumbeaux wrote: DO NOT CARRY A FIREARM OR ANY AMMO into Mexico !!!!!!

jumbeaux
That's why we're taking my girlfriend's car; I doubt I'd ever get my truck completely ammo free!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

It can be done Travis,
you just have to be aware.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Travis, I commend you on your idea, it's one that comes from the heart. But, I wouldn't go into Mexico at this time for any amount of money. Just too western and I wouldn't be able to play.
Old Law Dawg
levers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by levers »

A few years ago, we read an article in the local newspaper of a company that was gathering groups of senior citizens and using a bus to drive them to the Mexican border so that they could cross and buy prescription drugs. The bus ride was about 3 hours and they were doing an all day trip there and including lunch in Mexico. (I'm not sure why that made it more appealling :) ) I'm in AZ and the border town they were going to is Algodones. It is just west of Yuma, just inside CA. The article was quite positive and we reluctantly decided to drive there and check it out.

What we found was quite surprising. The entire village of Algodones seems to exist to do nothing more than supply drugs, alcohol, and various medical and dental services to US citizens. There is a parking lot on the US side where you pay $3 to park and walk across. There are numerous pharmacies and they are clean, friendly, and english speaking. There are quite a few "salesmen" in the streets trying to steer you to their businesses. There can be VERY long lines when crossing back into the US as it is a VERY popular spot with US retirees.

We talked with our doctors and discussed it with them. They did not shoot the idea down but expressed some concerns and advised us on some precautions should we elect to go there. We've had excellent luck with it.

While there are some AMAZINGLY low prices on some drugs. The biggest savings are on generic medications made in Mexico or Central America.....even some from Asia. Many US branded drugs that I've looked at are cheaper but in some cases not enough to justify the trip. I would also add that drugs that are very sensitive to storage conditions are risky. While the shops are all air conditioned, I would bet the AC goes off at night when the shop closes. That's probably not a big deal in the middle of the winter but in spring or summer it can be pretty warm.

If you decide to go, the rules are that you may only return with a 90 day supply of drugs. At the Algodones crossing, the border guards will ask to see a prescription if you seem to be carrying a suspect amount. Some classes of drugs get greater scrutiny. US prescriptions are not required in Mexico but may be needed to return to the US. We've not had any problems returning to the US but they now require passports and the US guards are none too friendly. They thoroughly check what you're bringing back so be prepared to justify whatever quantity you try to return with.

If a trip to Canada is doable, I would suggest going there instead of Mexico.....
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Travis Morgan wrote:

jumbeaux
That's why we're taking my girlfriend's car; I doubt I'd ever get my truck completely ammo free!
:lol: Sounds like my truck! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
papajohnabi
Levergunner

Post by papajohnabi »

Travis,
I have a grand-dau who has been type 1 D since she was 2. Be really careful on the stuff south of the border in regards to treating type 1 D. You're right, the meds are terribly expensive, but sometimes you get what you pay for. Just the opinion of a new guy on the block! Good luck
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Hobie wrote:
Travis Morgan wrote:

jumbeaux
:lol: Sounds like my truck! :lol:
You ever run outta ammo, then fish around in the truck and find enough to keep shooting for another half hour? I'm pretty sure there's enough under and between the seats to keep me going in a survival situation for a year or so. (and this is my NEW(to me) truck!)
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

This is sad. We live in supposedly the greatest nation in the world, yet our fine citizens are having to cross into Mexico in order to afford healthcare (and medications are part of healthcare). While I don't agree with Obama's plan, we desperately need reform. The worst things to ever happen to America are "insurance" and "credit". It's nothing less than organized crime.

Sorry about the rant. I wish you the best Travis.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Bogie,

It upsets me to, but, well, "Who is John Lott"?
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bogie35 wrote:This is sad. We live in supposedly the greatest nation in the world, yet our fine citizens are having to cross into Mexico in order to afford healthcare (and medications are part of healthcare).
Yeah, and the irony is that the meds are often made here, but the drug companies price them higher to U.S. citizens to make up for the forced-loss sales our government mandates to other countries, plus the 'penalty' fees the government allows insurers to tack on to 'non-preferred' medications, which are designed to punish anyone audacious enough to try and do without prescription coverage.

Now that same government says they're going to 'fix' things...

If my watch were broken and someone says they could fix it with a backhoe, I'll be more confident of success...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

In the health insurance industry, there's a very fine line between capitalistic freedom and criminal monopolization of healthcare. They've driven up the cost of healthcare to the point that many people simply can't afford it unless they have insurance. And then, if you have a pre-existing condition, they tell you that you must either starve or die, because they won't cover you. It's hard to have Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness when you're dead. That's not American. It's not Democracy. And, it's not Capitalism. It's simply a criminal violation of our God given inalienable rights. That's why I don't like insurance companies.

Our government is a gazillion dollars in debt. Enough said about that.

So, here's an idea. Let's allow the healthcare professionals (and ONLY the healthcare professionals) to control healthcare in this country. Why do we allow 2 very unnecessary "middle men" to control the entire industry???

Now, "Credit" is a whole other rant. :D

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.