OT - Stoeger coach gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Stoeger coach gun

Post by rjohns94 »

Need your opinions of the Stoeger's from you shooters and owners. How do they hold up? Here is what I saw and I am thinking about getting one:

I saw a stainless (nickel) finished with straight english stock (my preference) 20 inch barrels. Tang safety. Extractor only. I have seen others with pistol grips, But I really like the english stock. figured it might match up well with the rossi 92 and smith 60 in .357.

I also saw the self defense one that is matt finished and has the rails.

This shotgun won't be shot all that much but could very well be used for "castle" defense, either cabin, boat, etc.

Your thoughts?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT - Stoeger coach gun

Post by perry owens »

I have one with 24in barrels because I shoot black powder CAS loads. It was very stiff to open when new but has freed up ok after about 1000 rounds and is holding up well. I think they are all non-ejectors because they are aimed at the CAS market. The auto safety is very easy to disable.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Mike,

I have one I bought new about 20 years ago that from what I see they appear to be built like a tank. 12 ga 3" (uplander model)
Of course they are not fancy and slick but seem to be very rugged.At least mine.
For the money,they are not bad! Got only about 400rds through mine!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I bought one for CAS. I haven't shot that many rounds through it, but it hasn't had a single issue. Obviously they aren't something you'd put next to a high dollar shotgun, but for what they're designed for, they're great.
Old Law Dawg
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

rjohns94 wrote:Need your opinions of the Stoeger's from you shooters and owners. How do they hold up? Here is what I saw and I am thinking about getting one:

I saw a stainless (nickel) finished with straight english stock (my preference) 20 inch barrels. Tang safety. Extractor only. I have seen others with pistol grips, But I really like the english stock. figured it might match up well with the rossi 92 and smith 60 in .357.

I also saw the self defense one that is matt finished and has the rails.

This shotgun won't be shot all that much but could very well be used for "castle" defense, either cabin, boat, etc.

Your thoughts?

For your purposes it'll last a lifetime. Several thousand are used in CAS (hard use and lots of it) and they get maybe 5 yrs out of em before they begin to act up.
Certified gun nut
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

A friend has one of the Stoeger Condor Outbacks. It's a fun gun, but was very stiff when new, but considering it's got extractors and not ejectors, a cheap used pump shotgun would be a better choice for self defense IMHO. The Stoeger seems to be built like a tank, it just depends what you want to do with it.
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

I bought one for SASS shoots about fifteen years ago when I first started playing that game. I can't tell you how many rounds have been put through that gun, but it's seen quite a bit of use. It was really stiff at first, but a little work smoothing things out a bit has made it a consistantly reliable weapon. Never had a lick of trouble with it. They make one heck of a good shotgun for the price.
"Shoot them big guns......you can see the holes better!"
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I've got one, like it well enough that I bought a 20 ga for my mother to keep on the farm. I don't think she's ever shot it, prefers her old Winchester 410 single shot.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

My grandson Jerry3 bought for CAS and has not had any trouble with it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Mike,

I have two. A Coach gun and an Uplander. They were both bought back with they were "IGA/Stoeger", and have been used extensively for CAS.

I competed in CAS several times a month for 10 years, then took a 6 or 7 year hiatus and concentrated on mounted shooting. Then in 2002 I started competing in CAS again. However, my involvement has been spotty. Although, like Adirondack Jack sez, I've heard of issues among new purchasers. But... what I've heard doesn't seem to be all that widespread. What this means for any particular gun is just so much guessin'.

I can say that both guns have no issues about them. I honed the cylinders over 20 years ago, and de-activated the auto safety feature as CAS is a "load 'n shoot" event with the shotgun. Once the safety is engaged, you can open and close the action w/o affecting the safety. So I've even used both the coach gun and the Uplander for skeet. I haven't done any other work on them. They are both rock solid... and wouldn't hesitate to rely on either as a self defense gun. In fact, the coach gun is in my closet even now!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Halfbreed
Levergunner

Post by Halfbreed »

I had a IGA Uplander SxS 12 gauge way back around 1985 and she was reliable and solid, wish I never sold her.
For all the things that were written aforetime were written for our instruction, that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope. Romans 15:4
All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness. 2Timothy 3:16
Jazzman
Levergunner

Post by Jazzman »

I have been looking for the coach gun but my local store only has the uplander in stock, not sure of the differences except for barrel length.
I would like to get the shorter barrels as it could be used for home defense and also if I decide to get into the cas game.

Jazzman