Browning BLR

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Browning BLR

Post by getitdone1 »

Was in Gander Mountain store yesterday and took a Browning BLR lightweight off the rack and handled it. What a nice, handy, lightweight gun! May have to have one in 308 Win. Believe it has a very short lever-throw to boot!

Anyone here have one of these. If so, how do you like it?

I have a Browning 86, 71, A-Bolts in 243 Win. and 375 H&H mag--I am a big Browning fan! Sure wish they'd make a replica of the Winchester model 94 SRC!

Don McCullough
Hobie

Re: Browning BLR

Post by Hobie »

Don,

This is a question for Doc Hudson and Tycer. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

I have one in .358 Winchester. Excellent rifle. Details here:
http://www.gunblast.com/Browning-BLR358.htm

Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

I've owned six BLRs total and still own three, a steel receiver .358, a Lightweight pistol grip .325 WSM and a Lightweight straight grip .450 Marlin. The BLR is a very nice handling rifle in any configuration. A .308 Lightweight would be a great all-round rifle, useful for much CXP2 or CXP3 hunting, but I kinda have a soft spot for the .358 version. If you like the way the rifle felt in hand, I doubt you'll be disappointed with it in your gun case...lol :mrgreen:
We are responsible for leaving the same legacy of freedom and rights given to us for our children and grandchildren.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

getitdone1 wrote:Was in Gander Mountain store yesterday and took a Browning BLR lightweight off the rack and handled it. What a nice, handy, lightweight gun! May have to have one in 308 Win. Believe it has a very short lever-throw to boot!

Anyone here have one of these. If so, how do you like it?

I have a Browning 86, 71, A-Bolts in 243 Win. and 375 H&H mag--I am a big Browning fan! Sure wish they'd make a replica of the Winchester model 94 SRC!

Don McCullough
ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

I have a BLR in .308 I love it. For me it is the perfect deer rifle.

Just MHO.

8)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

243 here - shoots great - CowboyTutt has one of those in 358 and loves it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

I did own one in 308, standard model not light weight, nice, easy to point and carry. I prefer the straight stock and I was foolish to sell it. Missed an elk with it. :o ...and it is always the rifles fault so it had to go..... :oops:
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

7mm08 here & its staying home till I stop breathing.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I've had five. Still have a newer 358 Takedown.

Buy it.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I own three. One of them, my first one, which I have owned for close to 20 yrs has become a scared veteran of many hunts and kills. I own lots of guns that are fancier, but only one or two max that's more accurate, and they are bolt actions.

I own guns that I have given 6 times as much money for, but I believe my old BLR is probably the very last long gun that I would ever let go of, and the older I get, the more likely I am to just grab it, anytime, I need a centerfire rifle, for anything.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I have an 81 steel reciever in 243 I'm particularly fond of.
My wife shoots an original design in 308 she does this sort of wierd stuff with :mrgreen:
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

What in the world are you guys shooting with a .358 ? :o
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Out of the box, probably the strongest and most accurate levergun available. I have one in 358 as well, and love it. I did have a trigger/action job done on it, but thats just my thing.

Buy it, you will find it to be the handiest, easiest to carry hunting rifle you own.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Triggernosis wrote:What in the world are you guys shooting with a .358 ? :o
Anything that is in season!

I'd not opt for a .358 if big bear or African Big Five were on the menu but anything from smaller antelope to moose or elk are fair game.

You must be confusing the .358 Winchester for one of the dangerous game cartridges. The .358 Winchester is the .308 case necked up to .35 caliber. IMO it is the finest of the medium bore rifle cartridges.

i have two BLR's both in .358 Winchester. One I've not shot enough to get a real feeling for but the other is the most accurate rifle I've ever owned and one of the most accurate I've ever shot. To say that I'm a great fan of the BLR would be the understatement of the decade.

I really can't speak about the lightweight models, as both of mine have steel frames, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain of a BLR being inaccurate.
Last edited by Doc Hudson on Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Doc Hudson wrote:
Triggernosis wrote:What in the world are you guys shooting with a .358 ? :o
Anything that is in season!

I'd not opt for a .358 if big bear or African Big Five were on the menu but anything from smaller antelope to moose or elk are fair game.

You must be confusing the .358 Winchester for one of the dangerous game cartridges. The .358 Winchester is the .308 case necked up to .35 caliber. IMO it is the finest of the medium bore rifle cartridges.

i have two BLR's both in .358 Winchester. One I've not shot enough to get a real feeling for but the other is the most accurate rifle I've ever owned and one of the most accurate I've ever owned. To say that I'm a great fan of the BLR would be the understatement of the decade.

I really can't speak about the lightweight models, as both of mine have steel frames, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain of a BLR being inaccurate.
i would :twisted:
scarville
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scarville »

I have two in 308.

A steel receiver model 81 I used for five years before I found out I'm supposed to hate the trigger. I guess I just got used to it because I still have it ten years after that.

I recently bought a new takedown with the aluminum receiver. It's not as smooth as the older one but it hasn't had near as much time to get broken in. I can shoot minute of zombie out to 300 yards with either so I figure it's accurate enough.
Last edited by scarville on Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
What most people call a "right" is the equivalent of a dog walking on a leash. Just because your leash is a little longer than the other dogs' does not mean you don't have a master.
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

I've had a couple and like them quite a little. The one I still have is just like Mr. Quinn's. A new 358 with the aluminum frame. It had some trigger work on it and is a very good shooter. The 358 is a good little elk cartrige if you don't have to shoot too far. My action is very, very smooth. Good gun.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

tman wrote: i would :twisted:
You would what?

Go after Alaskan Browns with a .358 Win?

Try to take the Big Five with a .358 Win?

Say you've owned an inaccurate BLR?
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

I'm thinking that necking DOWN the .308 to something like 7mm-08 would make better sense for most North American game.... :)
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

Ive had 2 of the rifles, both steel framed, 1 in 308 {sold} and 1 that is just pure pleasure and its chambered in 284 win, :mrgreen:
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I really do like my .308 BLR Lightning. It made me seem a better shot than I really am. When Browning released a run of .308 BLRs with stainless barrels, clear-anodized receivers, and laminated stocks, a few years ago, I latched onto two of them, and recently acquired a Takedown, also in .308. I can't claim any adventures with them, other than plinking. If I manage to outlive my father-in-law, who is afflicted with dementia, I plan to do MUCH woods/hills walking about with these rifles.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
rjroberts
Levergunner

Post by rjroberts »

Be sure you get one made in 81 (I believe) or later. The magazines are tough to get for the earlier ones made in the 1970s, and they are magazine sensitive. I had one (mid 70s) in .243 and it was one of the handiest and most accurate rifles I've ever handled. First three shots out of the box were at 100 yards just standing offhand, no target-shooting antics and I put three holes in a 1 1/2" group. But that danged @$**%$## magazine wouldn't feed worth a darn and the rifle would jam. Sold it.
Yes, I am a pirate,
200 years too late;
the cannons don't thunder,
there's nothing to plunder
for an over 40 victim of fate.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Doc Hudson wrote:
tman wrote: i would :twisted:
You would what?

Go after Alaskan Browns with a .358 Win?

Try to take the Big Five with a .358 Win?

Say you've owned an inaccurate BLR?
i was trying to revive the elephant killed with a .22lr thread :P . although i prefer opened sighted tubefed bigbore 94's, the scope sighted pre-81 .308 is my go to piece for the occasional long shots. maybe i'm nut's, but i wouldn't trade it for a pre-64 model 70.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

tman wrote: maybe i'm nut's, but i wouldn't trade it for a pre-64 model 70.
Having never owned a Model 70 that shoots as well as my BLR, I can't help but agree with you.

Image Image
UNITE!
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I also own a 308, and .358. I have a low powered Leupold on the .308, and it is pure Joy to hunt with that rifle. The 358 I keep a peep on, and use it for my many walks during hunting season. I load a mild load behind a Hornady Round nose bullet. It should be the Cat's Meow! I would love to see a heavier Barreled version come out. I would order one right away for tree sitting.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

My BLR is the Jap steel receiver 358. Killed two whitetail deer with it this fall, a six point buck and a nice fat doe. I was useing a 200 gr Hornady FTX @ 2575fps. shoots this load in little tiney groups... Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Don,

I went all Browning this past year. I now have (1) Belgium BAR in 30-06, (1) BPR in 30-06, (1) BLR Takedown in 30-06, (1) BLR in 270, (1) BLR Stainless Takedown in 450 Marlin, (1) BL-22 and (1) Sweet Sixteen. I really like the BLR's, but the BPR is sure sweet also. The BAR and Sweet Sixteen came to me after my father passed away, but I have killed many deer with the BAR. My goal is to end up with only 30-06's this year, replacing the 270 and 450 with either BLR's or BPR's.

The only glitch with the BLR's is taking them apart if you like to do such things. The timing of the bolt, lever and gears is very critical. I have researched the issue and now have some fairly good instructions on how to do it.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Has any one done a trigger on one?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Bruce wrote:Don,

I went all Browning this past year. I now have (1) Belgium BAR in 30-06, (1) BPR in 30-06, (1) BLR Takedown in 30-06, (1) BLR in 270, (1) BLR Stainless Takedown in 450 Marlin, (1) BL-22 and (1) Sweet Sixteen. I really like the BLR's, but the BPR is sure sweet also. The BAR and Sweet Sixteen came to me after my father passed away, but I have killed many deer with the BAR. My goal is to end up with only 30-06's this year, replacing the 270 and 450 with either BLR's or BPR's.

The only glitch with the BLR's is taking them apart if you like to do such things. The timing of the bolt, lever and gears is very critical. I have researched the issue and now have some fairly good instructions on how to do it.

Going all Browning is probably the only company that I could do that with, if I was inclined, and I must say, I could pretty much sell everthing but my Brownings and still have enough of everything for about anything I wanted to do.

3 each BLR 81's
1 each BL 22
3 each Browning A5 shotguns
Browning 86 carbine in 45/70
Browning 92 saddle ring carbine in 44 mag
Browning 22 semi auto pistol
Browning 95 Leveraction in 30-06
Browning B-78 Singleshot 45/70
Browning High Power 40cal semi auto pistol

That makes 13 Total which is an unlucky number, OH WAIT A MINUTE! I almost forgot, I have a Browning Citori 12 ga model 625 over and under comming, this next week, which I purchased on Gunbroker.com, last week on Christmas afternoon. That makes 14, for a minute there I was scared, 13 being an unlucky number and all. :D

Browning has produced a lot of fine models over the years, One thing I will say is in general, I have experienced far less quality control issues, with the Brownings I have owned over my lifetime then I have with most all other brands.
NRA Life Member, Patron
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

So a couple of guys thinking about or going "all Browning." Thought of that myself. That company is a class act and always has been. Of course John Browning--the guy who started it all--must be about the most respected person ever in the world of guns. As many of you know, his Biography is a great book for any gun lover.

It really would be fine to have all Browning AND John Browning made guns.

Don McCullough
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

My sole hunting rifle (other than my .22's) is a Browning A-Bolt and I have an A-5 shotgun, so I'd say I'm a Browning man also. However, the A-Bolt is not very highly regarded amongst many rifle afficianados due to several issues: 1) metal injection molding of the receiver, 2) some have experience rust issues with the trigger mechanism, 3) having to take the safety off to unload it, and 4) the swing-down detachable box magazine. I have no complaints with mine, but on the 24-hr Campfire and PredatorMasters there's a couple of posters that will rip into 'em like they're trash.
I think the new X-Bolt has addressed some of these issues.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Browning BLR 358 and Win 94 in 356

Post by afish4570 »

Kissing cousins. Love my 356 too just like you like the 358 in your BLR. Has reasonable power, decent trajectory and alot of wallop in a small package. The 356 is a cast boolit shooters delight Love the RCBS 200 gr. FP :roll: :roll: afish4570
afish4570
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

Had one in .270, shot great, but had a bit longer throw than I like. Now have one .308, and she is a keeper. Shoots straight, handles nices, pretty to look at! Can't complain a bit! Probably the only gun I own w/o sentimental value that I will not part with!
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Nath,

I have heard about some BLR's having a heavy trigger, but I have not encountered one myself. All of mine are reasonable and clean. The trigger and it's spring are very easy to get at and if they are the issue, the work should be easy. The same goes for the sear connector and the sear, but there are some very critical angles involved with their relationship to each other and the trigger, so messing with those by filling is not recommended. There is a trigger adjustment screw, but it has nothing to do with trigger pull weight or smoothness. It is used (adjusted) to keep the hammer from falling fron the half cock position when the trigger is pulled.

Now, to answer your question. No, I have not worked on a BLR trigger. If I thought it was the trigger spring or a spring associated with the sear, I would not hesitate to tinker with it, but I do have a background with some firearms repair. I do recommend the following book for those who want to know more about the BLR. "The Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly, Part IV: Centerfire Rifles - 2nd Edition - by JB Wood. It covers the bolt, lever, gear timing issue very well also. I should note that the very latest BLR's have a different ejection port and the timing adjustment is not covered for them. Mr. Wood's books are very good for those who like to tinker with firearms.

WWW.MidwestGunWorks.com is a good source for information and schematics also.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks Bruce, looks ok on the drawings.

The design of the moving parts looks quite impressive to me!

The trigger mech does not look that difficult in the drawing, looks alot easier than a Rem 700 to me.

Thanks.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Browning BLR 358 and Win 94 in 356

Post by tman »

afish4570 wrote:Kissing cousins. Love my 356 too just like you like the 358 in your BLR. Has reasonable power, decent trajectory and alot of wallop in a small package. The 356 is a cast boolit shooters delight Love the RCBS 200 gr. FP :roll: :roll: afish4570
i could make do with all brownigs. a 86src and a 06 95 should handle all the world's game alone. but i'd miss the 94-.356wcf. :(
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

A good gunsmith can improve a BLR trigger, a great deal. I have had a couple of BLR triggers done, and they usually produce a pretty good trigger, but maybe not of the best quality that you might get on a fine boltaction, but plenty good enough, for most conditions.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Lastmohecken wrote:A good gunsmith can improve a BLR trigger, a great deal. I have had a couple of BLR triggers done, and they usually produce a pretty good trigger, but maybe not of the best quality that you might get on a fine boltaction, but plenty good enough, for most conditions.
The Rem 700 I have now was awful! It took six hours into the early hours to get it just right!

The 94 trigger is a fiddle to stone. A Marlin336 was a doddle IMO.

You never know, one day one may come my way :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Post by afish4570 »

Forgive me , but what are fiddlestones and doodles.....easy, hard,cinch, snap or impossible???afish4570
afish4570
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

afish4570 wrote:Forgive me , but what are fiddlestones and doodles.....easy, hard,cinch, snap or impossible???afish4570
Whats to forgive?

Fiddly= intricate,awkward or tiresome.

Doddle= easy task.

From the Oxford English dictionary.

HTH.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!