What is better, corn cob or walnut?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

What is better, corn cob or walnut?

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Youngest son bought me one of those new fangled vibratory cartridge cleaning tumblers for Christmas, so now what kind of medium should I use, the corn cob stuff or the walnut stuff? With or without the treatment? My kid says it'll work better than my vinegar, water, soap, and salt solution...but I'm a skeptic.

Now I gotta buy the medium and seperator (naw, I'll just swipe my wife's caldron).
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What is better, corn cob or walnut?

Post by TedH »

The walnut seems to do better for cleaning really cruddy cases while the corn cob seems to do a little better job putting a high polish on the brass. I'm not to worried about shine, so I just use the walnut with a little polish added.
NRA Life Member
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Walnut, but it has to be fine enough to not clog the flash-hole. I was put on to these cleaning products from Mic McPherson and Jim Williamson and it cleans cases in a tumbler unlike anything we have ever seen.

http://www.brassworldeshop.com/mediamod ... iquid.aspx

I hope you try it, it really works outstandingly well with walnut.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I tumble with Walnut + polish. If I want a high polish I do a second tumble using corn cob and polish. :D
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

if you're an old cheapskate, errr make that a frugal Scot, you will use rice. The cheap stuff.

Rice is cheaper than either walnut or corncob and easier to find.

That is a little hint I picked up from Jim Taylor.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I use walnut charged with Midway's polish. Works a treat. So do lots of alternatives. Some folks like rice or ceramic media.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have never tried anything other than corncob. I think that I'll add some rice to it and find out what happens.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

BOTH. I LIKE 'EM MIXED ABOUT 4 TO 1 COB TO WALNUT. I ALSO LIKE THE POLISH THAT DILLON SELLS. I LIKE ALL BRASS POLISHED BRIGHTLY AS IT MAKES THE INSPECTION FOR DEFECTS EVER SO MUCH EASIER.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I clean with treated walnut, then finish 'em bright with untreated corn cob. You will need a sifter, and a good plastic one that looks like a perforated gold pan can be had for under $10.

If you don't want to bother with running them through twice, go with treated walnut. Don't buy the pre-treated stuff as it is treated with a rouge compound that leaves red residue all over everything it touches. Buy untreated walnut, then treat it yourself using the Frankford Arsenal brass case polish available from Midway.

That's my 2 cents worth of opinion :)

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Untreated corn cob media seems to work fine for me in the old Vibra Tek...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

Doc Hudson wrote:if you're an old cheapskate, errr make that a frugal Scot, you will use rice. The cheap stuff.

Brown or white rice, regular or minute rice (just kidding). Costco sells huge sacks of rice so that is good to know. How long do you use it before you have throw it out and start with new rice?
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

I have used rice for years without any problems. Change it regularly thats all. Sometimes a rice grain will lodge in the flash hole, but when I clean the primer pockets I just run a paperclip end through the flash hole, removes anything stuck in there that the decapper may have left by forcing the grain through the flash hole. More prevelant during humid weather conditions. Look after your brass and it will look after you.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Thanks for posting this, I have to get some new media soon, I think I am going to try the rice for a change, up to now it's been the green cob stuff. Tried the treated walnut but detested the red residue. :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

I use walnut purchased from PetsMart as bird cage litter. Squirt a little Meguire's #7 or #9 (whatever I grab first) car polish in it now and then.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

I use corncob. I check all of the flash holes, though, when removing cases from the media. I made myself a flash-hole unplugging tool by pounding an 18 ga finishing nail into a short piece of dowe a little ways, and then grinding off the nail head. That makes for a handy little device, with the piece of dowel as a handle, to poke stuck pieces of media back into the case so that it can drop out. Corncob media will, I find, occasionally clog inside of the case as well, but poking from the back side tends to loosen up the clogged media so that it can drop out.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Nekkid crushed walnut. No polish/additives. Results in a semi-gloss, satiny finish. Simple, cheap at Petsmart.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I buy Lizard & Reptile litter at Petsmart. It's ground walnut shells. A big bag cost about $10.00 and lasts a long time. It tends to be a bit dusty and several clothes drier sheets in with the media cleans most of the dust out of the hopper. I usually throw in a drier sheet with each cleaning batch of brass, pulls out the dust and other junk.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Check your local "Toys Are For Puppies" (Petsmart) for ground Walnut.
I did, and they wanted $21.00 for 10lb. . :o :o :o Cheeper at Midway USA ! :shock:
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Check your local "Toys Are For Puppies" (Petsmart) for ground Walnut.
I did, and they wanted $21.00 for 10lb. . :o :o :o Cheeper at Midway USA ! :shock:
Wow! They must have caught on to litter and reloaders. I bought the 10 lb. bag in So. CA about a year ago for less than $10.00
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

TedH wrote:The walnut seems to do better for cleaning really cruddy cases while the corn cob seems to do a little better job putting a high polish on the brass. .
I agree. I use walnut for the initial cleaning, then deprime, then use the corn cob for a shinier finish. I use either the crushed walnut from the pet store (lizard bedding) and add Flitz, car polish, Frankford Arsenal brass polish, etc. or just buy the pre-treated stuff from Midway.

BTW, you will love the vibratory cleaner. I tried every homemade concoction of vinegar, dishwashing detergent, salt, etc. out there, and the washing machine in a pillow case, etc. methods as well. The vibratory cleaner is so much easier and gets the cases a lot cleaner.

I don't worry about the walnut size -- not an issue if you clean before deprime, and if you clean after, just visually inspect and use a pick to remove if you see any pieces in the primer pocket. Small pieces actually help clean the primer pocket and can save you a step. Generally, though, you can clean before deprime, use a primer pocket cleaner tool and leave it at that.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Triggernosis wrote:I use walnut purchased from PetsMart as bird cage litter. Squirt a little Meguire's #7 or #9 (whatever I grab first) car polish in it now and then.
There you go right there. Let it run for 12 to 24 hours and it will be shiny as all get out.
Ricky

DWWC
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I use corn cob media with about a tablespoon of Brasso thrown in.
I first wash the cases in a solution of Simple Green and water, after they dry into the tumbler.

When getting them out of the tumbler I pour the whole works into the sifter pan, and then put the cases back in the tumbler turn it on and letem dance for just a minute or so. There won't be any plugged flashholes, its sort of amazing at the amount of media that will shake out of those cases .
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Thanks for the info guys...my buddy gave me a pail of corn cob, another a pail of walnut stuff, and my wife donated the rice (she'll never know it's gone, she'll be thank'n me for make'n dinner...stuff should boil out ok). Seperated 100 cartridges out for each and I will let you know which is better, 'course then I'll have to buy the stuff too.

Guess I'll have to change my general routine too. Normally I do the following:

1. De-cap

2. Soak in solution of vinegar(20%), dish soap(couple drops), salt (a table spoon or so), and water in a bucket on top the clothes washer. When the washer is done, so's my shells, takes about 45 minutes. The shak'n and jump'n of the clothes washer run'n sometimes brings the solution to a frothy boil, thank God the washer is designed that excess liquid drains back into the wash tub but my wife complains that her clothes smell like vinegar(she does not have a clue!)...oh well, guess you can't win 'em all. Then I rinse 'em off real good with clean water using my wife's caldron.

3. Wrap 'em up in a pillow case and throw 'em in the dryer with my before mentioned step. The cases seem pretty clean to me!

4. Lube and size, unless they are pistol cartridges, then I just size 'em.

5. Check length with Lee cartridge length gauge, at the same time using my wife's big fluffy towel to wipe off the lube. Also I hold a chunk of 0000 steel wool pad around the cartridges as I spin 'em to check 'em.

6. Ready to use!

Using this new fangled thing, what steps should I eliminate or add?
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Old Time Hunter wrote:Thanks for the info guys...my buddy gave me a pail of corn cob, another a pail of walnut stuff, and my wife donated the rice (she'll never know it's gone, she'll be thank'n me for make'n dinner...stuff should boil out ok). Seperated 100 cartridges out for each and I will let you know which is better, 'course then I'll have to buy the stuff too.

1. De-cap

2. Soak in solution of vinegar(20%), dish soap(couple drops), salt (a table spoon or so), and water in a bucket on top the clothes washer. When the washer is done, so's my shells, takes about 45 minutes. The shak'n and jump'n of the clothes washer run'n sometimes brings the solution to a frothy boil, thank God the washer is designed that excess liquid drains back into the wash tub but my wife complains that her clothes smell like vinegar(she does not have a clue!)...oh well, guess you can't win 'em all. Then I rinse 'em off real good with clean water using my wife's caldron.

3. Wrap 'em up in a pillow case and throw 'em in the dryer with my before mentioned step. The cases seem pretty clean to me!

5. Check length with Lee cartridge length gauge, at the same time using my wife's big fluffy towel to wipe off the lube. Also I hold a chunk of 0000 steel wool pad around the cartridges as I spin 'em to check 'em.

6. Ready to use!

2&3
Ricky

DWWC
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I run them through the tumbler before I deprime and resize (one step). With the carbide dies, I don't want any foreign matter scratching them. Your steps #2 and #3 aren't needed (as said earlier), but I would insert a step 0.5 before you decap.

FWIW, unless it's .44 mag (or sometimes .357 mag) I don't check the case length on pistol cartridges. It doesn't seem to make a difference as I use a taper crimp die (so the cases don't need to be the same length as with a roll crimp) and .380, 9mm, .38 and .44 special cases just don't seem to stretch enough to be worth the effort. Every third time or so loading, I will clean the primer pocket with the Lee hand tool.

BTW, I've done the steel wool bit as well, and with the vibratory cleaner you won't need to. Therefore, maybe even #5 can be saved.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Go to Earl May's and buy som lizzard bedding. It's the same stuff as walnut and way cheaper. If you want a quicker polish when you wear your buffing compound down to a stub throw the stub in the tumbler. A bag of lizzard bedding and a chunk of rouge will last you years.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Y'all polish brass?
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hi guys. I'm probably wasting my breath here, but I'm going to say it again in the hopes someone actually listens. My friend Mic McPherson gets free samples on new products all the time in the hopes he will write about them. Mic reloads for a living, and his best friend is Jim Williamson. Either of these gentleman, who spend countless hours reloading and have access to any product they could want, have chosen the product from Brass World. They did so, because it works the best, by far the best, of any product they have tried. The dirtiest, sootiest brass you could imagine comes out looking virgin brass "pink" clean. I've never seen brass this color before in my cases using any other product. I'm reletively new to reloading so don't take my word for it, but rest assured that my friend's Mic and Jim have tried many, many products as they are in the buisiness.

If you wish to continue using "grass root" and out-of-date methodologies, go ahead I guess. But the combination of finely cut walnut shells that DON'T stick in the primer pockets (it has to be cut to the right size and I can refer you to a good, inexpensive source) and the product from Brass World is no more expensive, and works way, way better than any other method mentioned.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

CowboyTutt wrote:...(it has to be cut to the right size and I can refer you to a good, inexpensive source) and the product from Brass World is no more expensive, and works way, way better than any other method mentioned.

-Tutt
Please do...and the link doesn't work for me.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Alnitak, I tried the link and its not working right now. I don't know why. I'll contact Jim W. in the morning so I can send you the exact link for the proper walnut shell size and hopefully the BrassWorld link will work by then too. Thanks for caring enough to ask. I'm just trying to help. I apprecitiate your post.

Regards,

-Tutt

jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

RKrodle wrote:
Old Time Hunter wrote:Thanks for the info guys...my buddy gave me a pail of corn cob, another a pail of walnut stuff, and my wife donated the rice (she'll never know it's gone, she'll be thank'n me for make'n dinner...stuff should boil out ok). Seperated 100 cartridges out for each and I will let you know which is better, 'course then I'll have to buy the stuff too.

1. De-cap

6. Ready to use!

2&3
Yup. You can skip 2 & 3. Be sure to let the hippies in your area know, so they can be impressed with the fact that you are now "going green" and saving energy and reducing the amount of effluent you are draining back into "mother earth" by eliminating these steps. :P :lol:
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

The link is working again. Go figure. :roll: :roll:

-Tutt

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:mrgreen: Way to go Tutt, start the new year off making people want to spend money...... :D

Have you tried those brass bags? Curious how they might work, sure would save me alot of time sorting 40-65's and 45-70's after a match. :o
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

After buying two motorcycles in 2009 my friend said I'm single handedly trying to support the economy. :roll: :lol:

I haven't tried the bags but actually that does sound like a good idea.

-Tutt

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Happy New Year sir, maybe with just a touch of luck our paths wil cross this coming year. :!:
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Same to you Don! I hope to make it out to WY again this year, so will try to connect. Or better yet, maybe at FoBD in CO. My article on the facility is almost done and Mic has started editing it, so it shouldn't be too much longer.

-Tutt

Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

NonPCnraRN wrote:
Doc Hudson wrote:if you're an old cheapskate, errr make that a frugal Scot, you will use rice. The cheap stuff.

Brown or white rice, regular or minute rice (just kidding). Costco sells huge sacks of rice so that is good to know. How long do you use it before you have throw it out and start with new rice?
Use the cheapest you can find. Lon Grain, Medium Grain or Short grain, brown or white it makes no diffeerence. Don't waste your money on the partially cooked Miunte Rice. Go with cheap raw rice.

I bought a cheap 20 pound bag or rice years ago and still hve lots of it left.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

Tutt, do you add that stuff to the walnut media?
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Yup, just a tablespoon seems to do it. After cleaning a lot of cases, you just freshen it up by adding a bit more of the powder. I'm currently using it in corn cob media but I need to get some of the very small walnut from the same place that Jim Williamson does that will not clog the flash hole.

-Tutt

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Thanks to everyone, as you have all given me some ideas for something to do during the cold weather.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Ok gents, appreciate all the input and I have concluded my experiment of cleaning 300 cartridges (100 each medium), using three different mediums. Here are my crude conclusions:

1. Corn cob- first run, about 45 mins, cleaned 'em to a semi sheen look. Ran 'em again for a couple of hours more....slightly more shine. About 10% better than my old washing method before drying in a pillow case. Trying to clean 'em out from the medium....really a pain in the butt :x :x :x , what a mess. Used a sifter and a bucket, dust all over the place, corn cob kernels flying all around....took an extra hour to vacuum and dust (and still did not get it surgically clean).

2. Walnut- first run, 2 hours, seemed to clean the BP cartridges much better than the corn cob, but even after a couple of hours did not shine anymore than my washing solution method. Except, the inside of the shells did clean up much, much better. Same issue with media seperation :x :x :x , dust and flakes flying all over.

3. Rice- cheap stuff, raw. After two hours, stuff works! Outside shined up like the corn cob, cleaned up the BP cartridges well, did not work on the insides as well though. Media seperation...not much dust, but those rice kernels fly all over the place!

Conclusion: I can do just as well as my "old" method, but it is easier to throw 'em in and forget 'em with the tumbler. But, it takes a whole bunch more time to seperate and clean the work area. I believe the solution would be to use the tumbler outdoors, in an enclosed, clean area, this is just too messy. Have not tried Tutt's polish yet, maybe that'll give 'em the luster for me to say Wow.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

mikld wrote:
Chuck 100 yd wrote:Check your local "Toys Are For Puppies" (Petsmart) for ground Walnut.
Wow! They must have caught on to litter and reloaders. I bought the 10 lb. bag in So. CA about a year ago for less than $10.00
Wal-Mart sells it also for less then that been awhile since I looked at the price but saw it on the shelf the other day when I was there. I dont have a tumbler these days I just put them in a sock and toss them in the dish washer (dont tell my wife :wink: :lol: )
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Old Time Hunter wrote:Ok gents, appreciate all the input and I have concluded my experiment of cleaning 300 cartridges (100 each medium), using three different mediums. Here are my crude conclusions:

1. Corn cob- first run, about 45 mins, cleaned 'em to a semi sheen look. Ran 'em again for a couple of hours more....slightly more shine. About 10% better than my old washing method before drying in a pillow case. Trying to clean 'em out from the medium....really a pain in the butt :x :x :x , what a mess. Used a sifter and a bucket, dust all over the place, corn cob kernels flying all around....took an extra hour to vacuum and dust (and still did not get it surgically clean).

2. Walnut- first run, 2 hours, seemed to clean the BP cartridges much better than the corn cob, but even after a couple of hours did not shine anymore than my washing solution method. Except, the inside of the shells did clean up much, much better. Same issue with media seperation :x :x :x , dust and flakes flying all over.

3. Rice- cheap stuff, raw. After two hours, stuff works! Outside shined up like the corn cob, cleaned up the BP cartridges well, did not work on the insides as well though. Media seperation...not much dust, but those rice kernels fly all over the place!

Conclusion: I can do just as well as my "old" method, but it is easier to throw 'em in and forget 'em with the tumbler. But, it takes a whole bunch more time to seperate and clean the work area. I believe the solution would be to use the tumbler outdoors, in an enclosed, clean area, this is just too messy. Have not tried Tutt's polish yet, maybe that'll give 'em the luster for me to say Wow.

If dusty add more polishing compound. It will help. Get a media separator, they're relativity inexpensive and save time and mess. If you want them cleaner leave them in longer, I never clean for less then 8 hrs and as long as 24 or more. It will not hurt the brass.
Ricky

DWWC