Need help re W94 SN

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Need help re W94 SN

Post by 1894cfan »

Just picked up a Winchester 94, SN #1333***, which I just ran through the Win. Serial Number site, and came up with Manufacture date of 1943 through 1948. :shock: I was told it was made in 1941.
Can anybody here help me narrow it down a bit?
TIA,
1894cfan
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Need help re W94 SN

Post by 20cows »

Lots of gaps and interruptions during and just after the war. The dates of manufacture are complicated. For instance is the date when the receiver was made or the parts finally assembled into a complete firearm?
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I bought # 2359216 new in I THOUGHT 1956 give or take a year. Yet the info I found on several sources tell me it was made in 1958! I dont think those numbers are gospel!
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Thanks, guys. I guess I'll just have to settle for sometime in the '40s, then. Oh, well.
BTW, It's in really good shape with a couple worn blueing marks on the barrel from being stored in a couple different gun racks, and a fair amount worn off the receiver from being carried. Doesn't look like it's been fired much. Paid $750 for it. No front sight hood, though.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Sounds like a decent deal to me. There aren't many that age that still have the hood, particularly if they were used much.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

If you remove the forearm and mag tube, you will find a number stamped on the flat of the barrel. That will at least tell you the barrel age and get you closer to year of manufacture.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The barrel date is a much better indicator of rifle manufacture (as opposed to receiver manufacture).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

iceman wrote:If you remove the forearm and mag tube, you will find a number stamped on the flat of the barrel. That will at least tell you the barrel age and get you closer to year of manufacture.
I'm kind of leary of taking the forearm and mag tube off, I've heard it might be rather difficult to get them back on, given the (possible) age of the rifle. I picked up one of the Gunsmithing Institute videos on the Win 94 that mentioned it. Any truth to it concerning 94s made during the latter '40s? BTW, I've had someone that knows Win 94s check it out, he says it's at least 95% condition! :D

TIA
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
I have 6 Pre 1920 and So far have had NO problem putting then BACK together. I have seen the opposite... rusted in place screws, mag housing & followers that were a challenge & patience issue to get out... but not to put back on after the rust-crud was removed. Mine are not 95% rifles either. They are shooters that I keep on shooting.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.