Sorry not a lever but a N years fox called in.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Sorry not a lever but a N years fox called in.

Post by Nath »

I stepped out the door with one hour of 2009 left last night to find a clear sky lit by a bright moon and no wind. Perfect I thought for first light New years day for a fox hunt.

I got to the ground this morning just coming light, it was beautifull and frosty. I know the dog fox's are trailing vixens now and eagerly scanned the fields in hope.

I listened to some pheasants come off roost and watched from distance them make for some game cover where they feed on some wheat and maize.

I went around them up the side of the wood they left from roosting and where I know old fox earths are that are used to raise cubs.

As I was thinking to do some calling just one bird in the game cover started cocking a regular single note! Game on I thought!

After two good calls on my caller that by the way was wanting to freeze up from my breath he showed him self about 200yds away. I hastily made for a telegraph pole to aid my shooting.
Before I was ready he had crossed the field and was around 100yds away making for down wind of me. He heard me getting in position but because I was covered up and kept low he did not see me.

He kept walking and I shouted "oi" to him but allthough he looked just kept walking so I shouted louder the next time and then he stopped. The reworked trigger broke like a glass rod and that was the only bit of 2010 he ever knew.

It would of been a nice one for the 94 and even maybe the 9422, one day when my boat comes in :roll: I may try one of those BLR's.

All was quiet around there after for a few hours and I wondered where the vixen was ,,,

On the way back to my car I hunted a hazel stick out of a hedge as my old one was broke only to have a stoat come running towards me. With the wind on my face he came down to about five yards before he got worried, it was good to see his little beady eyes. I say he it was small so may of been a female. Should of shot it really but I had done ok so,,,,

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Sorry not a lever but a N years fox called in.

Post by Old No7 »

Happy New Years Nath!

Lever or not, I always like seeing your pictures and reading your stories. You seem to have much better fox hunting across the pond than we do here, that's for sure! And it's so great to see someone enjoying the outdoors -- with firearms -- over there.

Forgive my ignorance... But what kind of animal is a "stoat"?

(I'm thinking like a badger, skunk or weasel maybe?)

Cheers from Maine.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Stoat, a little bigger than a weasel.

Do you guy's call them fischers????

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Nice one Nath, good way to start 2010 :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Nath wrote:Stoat, a little bigger than a weasel.

Do you guy's call them fischers????

N.
We have fishers, weasels, minks, martens, and ferrets. I'd have to get a picture book to tell you the difference in the mink, marten, or fisher.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Thanks Nath and all.

I just checked, and over here, we'd call a Stoat an Ermine (Mustela erminea). See this link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoat

Interestingly that reference -- surely not the most esteemed of sources :wink: -- suggests "ermine" is only correct when they are in the white phase, while "stoat" is correct when they are in the brown phase.

Thus I can say I've seen many ermine -- easy to do when they are white due to the short days but the woods are still brown from no snow (which WILL NOT be the case this coming weekend for us...) -- but I've never seen a stoat.

Cheers!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Jealous... I only arose w/another 500 mile day ahead! :mrgreen:

Keep up the good work!!! :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Griff, drive carefull!

Ermine yes, I have only ever seen one in the ermine phase and see them regular in stoat phase.

Martins and mink are four times the size if not more.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

BE careful Griff. I did 407 miles today myself, most of it through the rain.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nice looking Fox. Pity there's no call for their pelts anymore.
I shot a Stoat in Ermine, when I was living in Worcestershire, it had just a tiny triangle of brown fur behind it's head, none of the beaters had ever seen one before.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Enjoyed your post and that photo. It is a nice shot of the rifle and the fox, but also has the landscape in the background. I really like that. It gives me a better idea of the country and provides 'atmosphere'. The only problem with the photo is that black rifle in the foreground! :o :D A fine old Purdy SxS sidelock hammergun would go so much better with the fox in the photo. I guess now you will have an excuse to go out and buy one. Tell your wife you need it for photos. :D
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

KirkD wrote:Enjoyed your post and that photo. It is a nice shot of the rifle and the fox, but also has the landscape in the background. I really like that. It gives me a better idea of the country and provides 'atmosphere'. The only problem with the photo is that black rifle in the foreground! :o :D A fine old Purdy SxS sidelock hammergun would go so much better with the fox in the photo. I guess now you will have an excuse to go out and buy one. Tell your wife you need it for photos. :D
Needs must Kirk needs must (black gun), I have been observing your wonderfull pictures Kirk and am conscious of improvement needed.
I had to get down on my belly in the frost to get that shot, I did want to get that sky line with a immanent sun rise.
I can see for miles and miles there on such days and like to imagine what it would be like if no one else was there as far as I could see!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Nath wrote: I can see for miles and miles there on such days and like to imagine what it would be like if no one else was there as far as I could see!
By gum, Nath! I thought I was the only one that did that. After turning off the light to go to bed, I will often stand looking out my bedroom window and if I stand at the right angle, there is not another light to be seen in the rural landscape. I then imagine that there is no one out there at all and enjoy the wild feeling it gives me. When we are wilderness camping, I will linger outside the tent before turning in for the night, staring at the stars stretching from horizon to horizon in a perfectly black sky and imagine that my family and I are a thousand years in the past when North American was utterly wild.

One thing I liked about your photo is that there were no houses visible, and I imagined the exact same thing you did ..... no one else there as far as I could see. Doing that gives me a better feeling for the land itself. I like photos where there are interesting things all the way from the immediate foreground to the distant horizon. Your photo does that, with the fox, gun, and vegetation in the foreground, and the trees and sunrise in the distance. Keep up the good work.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

I, too, enjoyed the tale and accompanying picture. I missed the caliber on that rifle; what is your EBR?

I once visited the Purdey shop while in London; was able to hold a beautiful SXS that was brought to me by an old gentleman all clothed in white. He seemed as immaculate as the gun was beautiful. The three salesmen in the "shoppe" were all outfitted in tweed 3-piece suits as I recall--or some such formal-looking wear. I was dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt so they surely must have guessed I wasn't a serious prospect.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Batman, it is a rem700 SPS Tactical in 308. 20" tube and Hogue stock (the cheap option!).

I recently ditched the Hogue recoil pad. The over molded rubber would grab my clothing , something I hate when close in! I made one from solid plastic that makes the stock a little shorter which I needed too.

I reworked the trigger soon after purchase, it took 6 hours and a few panics but is a creep free 1 3/4lb now.

The varmint load used today is a case full of H4895 (without checking 50grns) a CCI BR primer and a Hornady 110grn V-max. I have no idea how fast but fast enough! No bad pressure sign and the brass resizes easy so,,,,

I did have three rounds make one ragged hole in summer! Thats amazing for me!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Nath--Thanks for the information on your rifle; sounds like a nice setup. I always enjoy your posts; keep 'em coming.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

...that was the only bit of 2010 he ever knew.
I love it!

Interestingly, the countryside looks a lot like my part of West Texas (from some angles).
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Nice!!!
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

i guess I'm behind the times, but isn't it very difficult to get something like a .308 in England? i thought England had clamped down of ALL firearms or is it just handguns and semi-autos?

i know England has a very rich heritage of hunting and shooting.

good article; i enjoyed the read.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

donw wrote:i guess I'm behind the times, but isn't it very difficult to get something like a .308 in England? i thought England had clamped down of ALL firearms or is it just handguns and semi-autos?

i know England has a very rich heritage of hunting and shooting.

good article; i enjoyed the read.

British politics did ban handguns and auto rifles and pump rifles (except 22 auto and pump rifles). We have many restriction yes and my pet hate is the one where they won't let us legally take game or varmints with a muzzle loader rifle! That one really gets me wound up!

Normal ised cartridge rifles (as far as they are concerned) are no problem, it's the moment you ask for something out the norm we get problems! They in this case are the police for our areas, we have to ask and give a good reason for every gun we wish to have.

Very oppressive and depressing and goes a long way to not preventing any harm coming to the general public!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!