Vortex 1.5X4X32 Crossfire or 1.75X5X32 diamondback for a Mar

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Vortex 1.5X4X32 Crossfire or 1.75X5X32 diamondback for a Mar

Post by afish4570 »

Marlin 3030 or Win94AE......Poor light hunting and/ or shooting cast boolits in these rifles....Wondering what the Vortex brand is and if is suitable ,acceptable and practical.See they run about 105 to 169 $$. Seems like they "fit" better than the bigger scopes too, on these types of rifles. The Burris Timberline 2x7x26 looks like a keeper too. Lets face it, old eyes, poor lighting in the deep dark forests require a scope.afish4570 :roll: :roll:
afish4570
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Vortex 1.5X4X32 Crossfire or 1.75X5X32 diamondback for a Mar

Post by mescalero1 »

A caution I keep proferring,
but it goes unheeded,
stay away from variable power scopes,
it seems the lessons of the past go unheeded, when the advertising dept takes control of R&D.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

mescalero1 wrote:A caution I keep proferring,
but it goes unheeded,
stay away from variable power scopes,
it seems the lessons of the past go unheeded, when the advertising dept takes control of R&D.

Ok what are the problems with variable power scopes?
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

All variable scopes must move the inverter lenses on a variable cam system to accomplish the power change.
This introduces both error in the manufacturing process and introduces un-needed weight to the scope, couple this with multiple moving parts, and you are ASKING for failure at critical time.
Now complicate the hunt by electing to chose a power setting for a given shooting situation.
Buy a LOWER powered scope than you think you need, and SHOOT it, at different ranges.
There is a parable, in New York, tourists ask how to get to Carnige Hall, local musicians; reply;
PRACTICE.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

afish4570,
If you are shooting at dusk or low light, I would tend to go with the largest objective lens I can get. I have used 32mm lenses, and its hard on my eyes as the light goes down. Find a scope with good eye relief, there is nothing worse than chasing or trying to find an image in the rear lens. I use both, but I prefer fixed magnification.
Try a few scopes at the store in the late afternoon.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

mescalero1 wrote:All variable scopes must move the inverter lenses on a variable cam system to accomplish the power change.
This introduces both error in the manufacturing process and introduces un-needed weight to the scope, couple this with multiple moving parts, and you are ASKING for failure at critical time.
Now complicate the hunt by electing to chose a power setting for a given shooting situation.
Buy a LOWER powered scope than you think you need, and SHOOT it, at different ranges.
There is a parable, in New York, tourists ask how to get to Carnige Hall, local musicians; reply;
PRACTICE.
LISTEN TO THIS MAN !!!!!!
HE IS NOT WHISTLING DIXIE HERE ABOUT THIS. I HAVE IN ALL PROBABILITY BOUGHT MY LAST VARIABLE POWER SCOPE. THERE WAS SOMETHING GOOFY ABOUT THE FIRST I BOUGHT 50 YEARS AGO AND THE LAST WAS WEIRD TOO. I HAVE NEVER HAD A SINGLE PROBLEM WITH A FIXED POWER SCOPE IN 4X, 6X, 8X, 10X, AND 12X, ALL OF THESE HAPPENING TO BE WEAVERS AND STILL IN SERVICE YEARS AFTER WEAVER WENT T/U. I LIKE 2 OR 3 POWER SCOPES ON SHORT RANGE RIFLES AND 6X ON LONG RANGE RIFLES. ALL THE REST CAN DO JUST FINE WITH A 4X SCOPE OUT TO HECK AND GONE, AND THERE IS NO GAME ANIMAL IN NORTH AMERICA THAT IS OUT OF RANGE OF A 4X SCOPE ON A 30/06, 338WINMAG ETC ETC HUNTING RIFLE. MY OLD CUSTOM 264WINMAG HAS AN OLD WEAVER 3-9X ON IT AND AT 4X I HAVE HEAD SHOT GROUNDHOGS SO FAR AWAY YOU BETTER PACK A SANDWICH AND EXTRA WATER WHEN YOU GO TO RECOVER THE VICTIM.
I AM WILLING TO MAKE A SLIGHT WAGER THAT THE PRICES OF SCOPES [ OUTLANDISH RIPOFFS IN MANY CASES ] COULD BE CUT IN HALF IF WE WENT BACK TO FIXED POWER SCOPES.
THEY WORK !!! YOU DO NOT NEED A VARIABLE SCOPE !!! THIS WILL BE A LOT MORE UNDERSTANDABLE TO THE YOUNGER GUYS HERE WHEN IT DAWNS ON 'EM YOU CANNOT BUY SKILL.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Thank You Terry and Mescalaro. Truth be known my weapons are strictly for self defense and targets. Hitting where I aim is everything. Wether the issue be my skills or sights or... a problem is completely unacceptable. Your input on the issues with variable power scopes is most welcome!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Terry is right,
fixed power is easier, cheaper to build.
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

mescalero1 wrote:All variable scopes must move the inverter lenses on a variable cam system to accomplish the power change.
PRACTICE.

Mescalero,... does this include "etched glass reticle" scopes, as well?
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

If it is a variable power scope, Yes
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

mescalero1 wrote:If it is a variable power scope, Yes

Thank you sir !!

8)
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

mescalero1 wrote:If it is a variable power scope, Yes
Welcome to Y2K, we are there now, if you had not noticed. :o
We are responsible for leaving the same legacy of freedom and rights given to us for our children and grandchildren.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

We were complacent.
We let the advertising guys aell us a bill of goods we did not need.
It seems that once Pandora's box was opened, we could not reverse the trend.
This is not true.
Do NOT buy a variable scope.
Write to the manufactures and demand a fixed power line up.
Consumer dollars rule.
You can make it happen.