Are primers still scarce?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Are primers still scarce?

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I've got a decent supply and haven't been looking for them lately - are they still hard to find? If so, that's crazy.

ETA - OK, did a quick look at Grafs - they had Wolf magnum small rifle and bench rest large rifle only. So, looks like yes, they are still in short supply. Weird = this long after the "rush".
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Re: Are primers still scarce?

Post by L_Kilkenny »

The rush is definetly easing here in Iowa. Last summer there were no primers to be found and if you did find em they were generally on the way out the door in someone elses bag. You had to be quick AND lucky. The last gunshow I was at (Thanksgiving) they had most varieties in small quantities for $33 +/-. And that was halfway thru day 2 of the gunshow. Didn't see much CCI that I recall though.

LK
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

CCI is still unable to catch up.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Gander Mountain in Indianapolis has CCI primers (small magnum rifle, that is) for ONLY $9.99...!

(Of course that's $99.90 for an actually useful-sized 'box' of 1,000... :( )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Seeing WOLF and REMINGTON Primers in my area for about $40 per 1K
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I can find all kinds, but the price starts at $60 per 1000. So, they are scarce as far as I am concerned. i am glad I bought up a bunch over the last decade or so.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I would say they are less scarce than they were this Summer, but are still not common. There were a good number of Winchester and Federal at our last gun show here for around $40/1000. They are staying in-stock at the online retailers for longer periods of time. Where they used to be in-stock for 20 minutes, now they will stay in-stock for anywhere from several hours to several days at the online sites.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

AJMD429 wrote:Gander Mountain in Indianapolis has CCI primers (small magnum rifle, that is) for ONLY $9.99...!

Serious question ... How the #%^$& does Gander Mountain stay in business?
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

Warhawk wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:Gander Mountain in Indianapolis has CCI primers (small magnum rifle, that is) for ONLY $9.99...!

Serious question ... How the #%^$& does Gander Mountain stay in business?

I wonder the same thing, their prices are out of control !! who is paying it ?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Last month I called the local gun shop and he had them in stock. 33.00 per 1000. Said there would be a price jump after the first of the year though. Oh well, I shoulda bought some.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
cworetired
Levergunner

Post by cworetired »

While at the gun show 2 weeks past they had alot with most tables asking $40/1000. Checked one table at $35/1000 and asked if that was his best price and right away he droped it to $30/1000 so I loaded up. He had CCI, Winchester. Had stoped at the local shop but he wanted $5/100 so I let him keep them. I keep looking cant have to many.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

they seem more available around here. run about 30-35$/thou.

funny thing though, i never see all types at the same place/time.

i see small rifle OR small pistol OR large rifle OR large pistol some mag some not.

some times two types together, but never all of them. i wonder if manufacturers

are tying to spread the wealth around some?

ok, so here's a question running around in my head. federal primers were one brand

i found locally, so i picked some up. what's with their packaging? it's huge compared

to anyone else. one of those big boxes takes up the room of two regular boxes.

are these primer so much more sensitive?
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

The supply has increased, but a lot of dealer are still trying to pretend it hasn't! I'm finding the distributors have them, but some of the dealers are still trying to get scalpers prices out of them.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Pokey, I know what you mean about the large boxes.

I have shot lots of Federal primers in both LR and SR and 209 shotgun but have not used their pistol sizes.

Their primers are top quality in my book. :D
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

cworetired wrote:ok, so here's a question running around in my head. federal primers were one brand

i found locally, so i picked some up. what's with their packaging? it's huge compared

to anyone else. one of those big boxes takes up the room of two regular boxes.
I got some Federals last year and moved them into a CCI package to save space. I cut the Federqal label off the package and taped it onto tje CCI package.

As far as scarcity, the local stores have them for 50 per 1000. They are available if you want to pay the price, but there are stores in the city with $30-$35 prices.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Just hang tight, those of us who have a stash can wait them out.
Don't you remember supply side economics from college?
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

Powder Valley had the wolf primers just a few days ago for $25 a carton. I bought some large pistol a few weeks ago and they seem to work okay.
g rice
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

Just checked and they still have large pistol and large rifle @ $25.50 a carton.
g rice
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I traded a brick of primers for some very hard to find ammo earlier this year, and I got a lot more in ammo than what I paid for the primers, but the guy who got em was more than happy with the trade. Was nice to trade off 1000 primers and still have plenty. I bought a bunch in 2008 and it was a smart move. $18 per 1K. :D
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

sore shoulder wrote:I traded a brick of primers for some very hard to find ammo earlier this year, and I got a lot more in ammo than what I paid for the primers, but the guy who got em was more than happy with the trade. Was nice to trade off 1000 primers and still have plenty. I bought a bunch in 2008 and it was a smart move. $18 per 1K. :D
Good move. i used my head and loaded up too and now i probably have more than ill live to shoot but thats alright.
g rice
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

gary rice wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:I traded a brick of primers for some very hard to find ammo earlier this year, and I got a lot more in ammo than what I paid for the primers, but the guy who got em was more than happy with the trade. Was nice to trade off 1000 primers and still have plenty. I bought a bunch in 2008 and it was a smart move. $18 per 1K. :D
Good move. i used my head and loaded up too and now i probably have more than ill live to shoot but thats alright.

Buy some mylar bags and throw em in with some oxygen absorbers. I see guys trying to reuse primers by filling with match head scrapings and I shake my head. If your worried, buy primers and bury em. :mrgreen:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Those of us who stocked up, can sit back and say " this too, shall pass ".
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Our local Gander Mountain has 'em for $60/1k, local hardware store has 'em for $30/1k....betcha you would never guess where I get 'em from.
Senior Levergunner

Re: primers nonexistent

Post by 2571 »

Mason, MI gunshow (400 tables) this AM had NONE. Saw one boxt of shotgun primers for in-line bp.
monkey
Levergunner

Post by monkey »

We have a 3 day gun show going on right now. Only primers were small rifle, $40/1k. -Nobody had any 45 Colt ammo either. Bummer.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

The profiteers are still out, just remember them when the crisis passes.
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

I was at the Melbourne, Florida show this morning (Jan.2) and the regular reloading vendors had primers, all types. They're down in price to $ 38 per 1000 of Winny Large Pistol or Large Rifle. Same for Remingtons. BenchRest CCI were still up there, at $ 50 per 1000.

This is still more than primers should sell for, but at least they're becoming available again. A good sign in my book. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

THUD! That was me falling out of my chair!!! :shock:
Peter M. Eick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Peter M. Eick »

All types are generally available here in Houston. I was able to build back up my supply that I started firing up the press again and cranked out about 3000 rnds this weekend. I will do another 3 to 5K this upcoming week as I start to build back up my stockpile I tapped down during the primer famine.

Once I get the old stock burned up I figure I should be able to order replacements at a reasonable price. I went it to a sort of hoard mode and shot about 2/3rds of what I normally would in 2009 and did very little reloading.
38-55 & 38/44 What a combination!
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

I remember $18/1000; and looking at what Biden and his friends were doing.

No matter how many I bought then, I should have bought more. Too cheap to pay what they want now.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

It has gotten to the point that I will not even drive into any Gander Mountain parking lots any more due to their ridiculous high prices. I will drive 100 miles instead. Until I read all your posts I thought I was the only person who noticed this.
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

I am with Bigahh about Gander Mountain. We have very few gun shops in our area but I will do without before I go back to Gander Mountain. Everthing seems over priced or it has no price on it and you have to find someone to get a price.
when your enemy is within range so are you
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I noticed that Natchez has bumped their primer prices for CCI and Winchester already this year. Maybe they're trying to catch up to the gun show prices.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.