OT_ End of Season Deer Hunt - 2 first deer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

OT_ End of Season Deer Hunt - 2 first deer

Post by 86er »

A great weekend! First, it's hard to see one of my best friends suffer through a season without getting a deer, especially when I have been super fortunate. Yeah, you know him, Ricky. He put in the time and effort but the deer didn't cooperate. Second, my oldest boy said "you're going hunting again" enough times for me to finally say, "Yes and you're coming too"!

I traded a shotgun restoration for a deer hunt on one of the best private ranches in hill country, the Lagos. I told the gun owner and ranch manager that the deal was for two of us to work on the gun and both get a deer hunt. I cut Ricky in on the deal and he took on the job of getting fore-end parts and re-blackening the barrel and action.

We packed up and went. On the way there another friend said he was taking his family to an exclusive private deer ranch too, as he was being paid to cull does and spikes. We got an invite!

Sunday night we hunted the Buena Agua Ranch and the Quintas. Brandon and I did not see any deer from our blind, but Ricky was able to use his new Stevens 200, 7mm-08 with 140 gr Accubond handloads to shoot a good doe. The 150 yd shot broke a shoulder adn exited 20" back on the opposite side, dropping her in her tracks. First deer of the season for him!

Today, we were up in the dark and headed to the Lagos. Brandon and I were in a very nice blind and Ricky was stationed elsewhere. We could shoot just about any deer with the exception of "white tag" deer. The white tag deer are introduced breeder deer (bucks or does). At 7:00AM we saw a big white tag right next to the blind. At 8:00AM we saw a group of white tags but we were too busy figuring out how to poopy in a grocery bag to shoot. At 8:30 one more deer showed up but it was pee in the bottle time so Brandon was not ready (again). Finally, I could tell I lost his attention. I was going to call Al at 9:00AM to pick us up. At 8:50AM a bunch of deer started crossing way out there. I used the rangefinder and got 250, 256 yards. Brandon got his gun, a 221 Fireball, but I decided against risking a shot that far with a light rifle and inexperienced shooter. Another big deer stepped out and stood for a while. I check the rangefinder - 297. This is somewhat controversial. I made a split second decision to let Brandon shoot my 7mm Mag. I did not expect a hit but figured if he connected at least I'd know it and we could follow up. To make this work, I sat to the side of the rifle. Picture I am holding my arms out straight in front of me, left hand over barrel holding it tight into the corner of the blind window, right hand on the pistol grip. Brandon is kneeling in my lap. He leans his face over the rifle but his head is too small so his right cheek is on the rifle but he is looking through the scope with his left eye. The instructions are simple, "if you see the deer in the middle of the lens, pull the trigger". The words just escape my mouth when "Boom" - the gun goes off. I look up to see the deer jump about 5 feet high and run into the brush with a low head, classic signs of a hit. Another deer follows that one into the brush. Now I am perplexed. Did he hit it? Do we head out there? He can't wait so we go. I rangefind back at 297 and Brandon looks for blood with the help of a bloodlight, even though it is full daylight now. Whoa, he found some. It is a piece of lung on the grass - encouraging. He trails it himself with me lagging behind 25 yds or so. The blood trail was thick enough that he could easily follow it. After 75 yard he says "Dad, I'm not going to tell you where the deer is". I look ahead and it is lying dead in a ravine. We pull it out to the trail. It is hit right in the middle of the body, about 2ribs from the back. Lucky, it was obviously quartering away hard because the 150 gr Scrirocco exited the center of the opposite shoulder. Heck of a shot on his first deer. I think a little devine intervention guided that bullet!

A great weekend camping, hunting and hanging out with a bunch of great friend and my oldest boy. It doesn't get any better!

Last edited by 86er on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT_ End of Season Deer Hunt - 2 first deer

Post by rjohns94 »

that is awesome. I am so happy for all involved. Fantastic.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mike Rintoul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike Rintoul »

Wow, I wonder if good shooting ability is hereditary. That little guy has been hunting more times than a lot of adults. I remember you told me the turkey story, and earlier this year the dove. I hope his luck continues, but what makes you think it's just luck? His series of hits are becoming more conisistent and often to be mere coincidence! What I can't picture, and it gives me a chuckle, is you two figuring out the "poop in a bag" thing. Ha! Got to love it.
Mike Rintoul
Owner
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
www.grizzlycartridge.com
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Great shot, Brandon, and a great memory for all of you!
Tom Richardson
Shootist

Post by Tom Richardson »

Looks like the boy brought his truck along just in case he had to pull you out.

Nothing better for a dad.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Hey Tom - You have to keep 'em entertained in the blind. We shared the blind with Thomas the Train, the truck, some kind of laser blaster pistol and halloween fake snot! Not the typical deer blind accessories, but worked for us.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Congratulations!
It doesnt get any better than that!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Congrats to you and Brandon and Ricky. Venison for all.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
huntress
Levergunner 1.0

Post by huntress »

Congrats to both Ricky and Brandon on their kills! It sounds like a very adventerous weekend. Being a parent mysef, I enjoy hearing how you kept Brandon entertained! I think you need to finally admit that there is more than devine intervention going on here. His shots might not be perfect, but he connects everytime! It sounds like it was real good "daddy and me time" and Brandon will always remember his trip. If he's like my kids, the pooping in the bag will be the best memory! Either way, good job dad!
Sandy :P
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Outstanding story!

Dave B
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

What a day for both of you!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

It was a good weekend. Brandon is turning into quite the little man. He made the long trip and time in the blind better than then most adults. Joe does a great job with both the boys about gun handling and safety, weather it's a toy gun or real gun. I want to thank Joe for setting me up on the hunt so I could get some meat for the freezer.
Ricky

DWWC
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

That is just an amazing experiance for all of us let alone you two guys!

How was the recoil for the big little feller?

That land looks big a spacious-nice :D

Well done Brandon :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Mike Rintoul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike Rintoul »

I showed this to the kids and in doing so realized I did not congratulate Ricky. So, CONGRATULATIONS RICKY!
Mike Rintoul
Owner
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
www.grizzlycartridge.com
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006