Canadian Gunsmith?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
deertroy
Levergunner

Canadian Gunsmith?

Post by deertroy »

I have a Marlin 1895G in 45/70 and I am interested in having the action tuned, trigger lightened and a new recoil pad installed. I would like to send the gun to someone like Mic Mcphearson, Clements Custom Guns, or Brockman's Custom Gunsmithing. However, I am from Canada and US customs laws make it nearly impossible to do this. My question: is anyone aware of a quality gunsmith in Canada that can do this work?
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Canadian Gunsmith?

Post by Terry Murbach »

HOW 'BOUT ELWOOD EPPS ??? I MET HIM ONCE SOME DECADES AGO IN ORILLIA, ONT.
NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT HE MAY HAVE GONE ON TO HIS REWARD.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

There are a few real good ones in Canada. I would recommend registering on http://www.canadiangunnutz.com . Under the gunsmithing forum, you'll see a sticky that contains a lot of information on gunsmiths across Canada.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Terry Murbach wrote:HOW 'BOUT ELWOOD EPPS ??? I MET HIM ONCE SOME DECADES AGO IN ORILLIA, ONT.
Didn't you and Elwood work on the Brown Bess design together?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

BlaineG wrote:
Terry Murbach wrote:HOW 'BOUT ELWOOD EPPS ??? I MET HIM ONCE SOME DECADES AGO IN ORILLIA, ONT.
Didn't you and Elwood work on the Brown Bess design together?
I AM JUST A WHIPPERSNAPPER COMPARED TO ELWOOD EPPS. DON'T YOU GUYS REMEMBER ALL THOSE WILDCATS HE HAD ON THE 303BRIT CASE ?? HE WAS SORT OF THE P.O.ACKLEY OF CANUCKDOM.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

http://www.ellwoodepps.com/

He has a couple stores named after him.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

THAT IS THE PLACE I MET HIM AT, BLAINE !! HE STARTED THAT STORE AND IT WAS SORT OF A JUNIOR HERTERS WHEN I WAS THERE. THEY HAD EVERYTHING FROM SOUP TO NUTS FOR AN OUTDOORSMAN.
AND darned IF I DID NOT MISSPELL HIS NAME...ELLWOOD...ELLWOOD...embarrassing...
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I try and get to Ellwood Epps store at least once per year. You never saw so much goodies crammed into one small building.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Terry Murbach wrote: I AM JUST A WHIPPERSNAPPER COMPARED TO ELWOOD EPPS. DON'T YOU GUYS REMEMBER ALL THOSE WILDCATS HE HAD ON THE 303BRIT CASE ?? HE WAS SORT OF THE P.O.ACKLEY OF CANUCKDOM.
I'm too young to remember him but I do know of him and wish I could have met him and Mr Ackley. I discovered Mr Epps work while researching the 6.5/303. I was offered a .303 martini that had been rebarrelled to the 6.5/303, dies and all for almost a song. By the time I knew enough to know I should get it, it was gone.

Ever since then, a No4 Enfield in .25/303 or 6.5/303 has been on my "someday" list.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

I have first-hand experience only with his pistol smithing.

Gunnar Christenson
Armco Machine & Plating
P.O. Box 21073
Spruceland RPO
Prince George, BC V2M 7A5

250-962-9713
http://www.armco-guns.com
armco@telus.net

Mr. Christenson answers his telephone only certain days of the week, only at certain times of the day. These restrictions occur to free him to do his work.

Hope this helps.
deertroy wrote:I have a Marlin 1895G in 45/70 and I am interested in having the action tuned, trigger lightened and a new recoil pad installed. I would like to send the gun to someone like Mic Mcphearson, Clements Custom Guns, or Brockman's Custom Gunsmithing. However, I am from Canada and US customs laws make it nearly impossible to do this. My question: is anyone aware of a quality gunsmith in Canada that can do this work?
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Last Spike »

If you're in Western Canada, contact Dave Henry of D.Henry Gunmakers out of Bentley, Alberta. He did what you're looking for in my Marlin 1895 CB and I was very satisfied with the job he did.
deertroy
Levergunner

Post by deertroy »

Last Spike wrote:If you're in Western Canada, contact Dave Henry of D.Henry Gunmakers out of Bentley, Alberta. He did what you're looking for in my Marlin 1895 CB and I was very satisfied with the job he did.

I'll give Mr. Henry a call. Thanks