OT: Chamber Adapters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

OT: Chamber Adapters

Post by rock-steady »

Walking out of the woods from the deer stand, I have walked right up close to several big ol fat rabbits. I was thinking about getting a chamber insert for a 30.06, say one in 32 H&R Mag. I would be able to shoot 32 S&W, 32 S&W Long and 32Mag out of my bolt gun. I could pop a rabbit and have some fresh camp meat. Have any of yall tried a chamber adapter, and did it work OK? Or is this a bummer idea?
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: Chamber Adapters

Post by iceman »

Good question! I have also seen 20ga /357 adapters, are they worth it?
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

it works just fine, as long as some range work is done beforehand to determine the POI with the rifle's sights zeroed for the deer hunting full-power loads - especially for those who hunt in areas where the carrying of a companion .22 handgun is proscribed.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Or make some squib loads for the guns cartridge in question!
Probably be cheaper.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One I had (and lost before I tried it) was for .308 in .30-06, and was semi-permanent. I'm sure the lower-pressure, full-length ones would come out more easily, but it could be a bit of lube would be good (...or dangerous...). Anyway, I'd check that out before using one.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

There's a guy in AK that makes them. They run about $20 each in blued steel IIRC.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Nath wrote:Or make some squib loads for the guns cartridge in question!
Probably be cheaper.

Nath.
I think this would be a better idea :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

I have two of them for the 25-35 Win. to .25acp
They are nothing to brag about accuracy wise. :roll:
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I have one in 32 auto/30-30. it works fine, and accuracy isnt too bad to about 30 yards or so. No lube needed.

I look for cheap 32 auto ammo at guns hows, and parial boxes, but find that just loading some round ball or very light cast bullet loads is simpler and cheaper in the long run. If you arent a reloader, this may be a good time to at least pick up a Lee Loader so you can make up some small game and practice loads simply.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Tumbleweeds II
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tumbleweeds II »

I have an old Marbles .32 ACP to .300 Savage adapter that holds the .32 cartridge at the front, so the loaded adapter looks a lot like a .300 round. I works, but point of impact is nowhere near that of the .300, so I have to sight it separately. If I want to own one rifle and hunt rabbits with a Savage 99 in the off season, it is pretty good.

The handloader thing of a cast bullet cat sneeze load that shoots to point of aim at 25 yards would work a whole lot better. I have an old Don Zutz book with some .30-06 recipes if you're interested. On the other hand, I'll bet a Trail Boss load would be really "boss".
Formerly known as "Tumbleweeds"
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Thanks for the information. I will nix the chamber adapter idea and try the "cat-sneeze" approach. I have some .30cal Lasercast 170gr flat points that i use in 30/30 loads. TumbleweedsII, could you post some 30'06 cat-sneeze recipes or pm me?
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Picked a couple up from SportsmanGuide awhile back. For my Mauser ought6. Probably one of the most stupid things I ever did. Not only was accuracy at a spread of 1 to 2 feet at 25 yds,...then I started thinking how I really didn't want to screw with the chamber, on my long distance weapon.

I tossed them at my desert range,... without looking back.
k8vf
Levergunner

Post by k8vf »

What about using the Remington Accellerators for 30-06?

.222 cal, i think , in a sabot at abt 4000 fps, but might do what you want.

Do they still make these?

BTW, if you use these in your lever gun with tubular magazine, REMEMBER ONE IN BARREL and ONE ONLY in magazine.

Mark
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

How about converting your old 8mm K98 Mauser to a 22.....

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displ ... &oh=216543
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Tumbleweeds II
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tumbleweeds II »

Rock-steady, I'll check my records when I get home this evening.

As to the Accelerator, it is still available but I would rather shoot a rabbit with a big game load. Then you would have a better chance to find the bullet to wipe off some meat :lol:
Tumbleweeds II
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tumbleweeds II »

I haven't shot this load myself, but here's what Don Zutz had to say:

.30-06, 180 gr. cast bullet with gas check

13 - 17 gr. Unique, 1500 - 1875 fps
12.5 - 14.5 gr. Green Dot, 1500 - 1625 fps
19 - 25 gr. 2400, 1700 - 2000 fps

The idea is, you try different loads until you find one that shoots to point of aim at small game range, like 25 yds.

He also offered a jacketed bullet load: 150 gr. bullet, 22.5 - 25 gr. SR 4759, 1800 - 2000 fps.

Zutz suggested you elevate the muzzle before shooting to move the powder to the primer, stating that squirrels and grouse are usually shot in trees anyway. For rabbits, you might want to put a puff of dacron over the powder to keep it where it belongs.

All this info comes from "Handloading for Hunters", published by Winchester Press in 1977. It's old info, and powders have changed, but not so much as to make any of this dangerous in a rifle cartridge. Just don't load so light that you have a chance of leaving a bullet stuck in the bore.

After you come up with a good load, you can shoot small game with your deer rifle all summer and be even more of a deadeye than you already are.

Good hunting.
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

I have a couple to us in a Contender carbine .223 barrel. The .22 LR works fine, very usable. The .22 mag accuracy is near useless. Your best bets are either a good .22 sidearm or squib loads for the rifle.