Hog hunting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Hog hunting

Post by shooter »

Did something last night I've never done before. I went hog hunting with dogs. I don't exactly know how I feel about hunting with dogs, but I wanted to go along and see how it was done. Unfortunately we came up hogless. The dogs had a couple bayed up, but we couldn't get to them before the pigs slipped out the back door because there was a lot of water in the way. We ended up just getting wet and crossing it, but not in time. I've never crossed water with ice in it, but i tell you it was COLD!! It's unusual for the water to ice over here in TX, anyway, but I guess it is left over from the cold spell we had last week. Anyone else done the hunting with dogs thing?
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Re: Hog hunting

Post by Dave »

Sounds like a blast!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I haven't hunted hogs with dogs, but I used to chase mountain lions with dogs in Idaho. Talk about a hunt that will just plain kick yer butt! Try and keep up with a pack of hounds chasing a cat in about two feet of snow in country that is more vertical than horizontal. Would like to try hogs with dogs sometime too.
NRA Life Member
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

we probably logged about 4 miles last night. I left my house at 5:00 p.m. and didn't get home till midnight. It was hard to get up and go to work this morning. I'm feeling it, too. I'm sore from the waist down. We traveled through so much mud and water last night, I thought I'd crossed the border into Louisiana!
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Hog hunting in Florida I reckon is still done with dogs and horses. That was some good hunting. My brother always had some good dogs.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I don't know that I'd hunt over dogs if an outfit didn't have proven bay and catch skills.

I like running around in the woods, but I'll be jiggered if I'm gonna get wet and cold and then come home empty-handed.

You might have ought to shot one-a them damm dogs.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds like fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My son likes going that way, chaing the dogs through the woods at night. All he carries is a K-Bar and a piggin string.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Rusty wrote:My son likes going that way, chaing the dogs through the woods at night. All he carries is a K-Bar and a piggin string.
Rusty, I savvy the Ka-Bar, but what's a piggin' string?

Inquirering minds want to know.

-Brian
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

FWiedner,

I feel the same way. Before I went, I heard that these guys' main hound is the best hog finder in the country, and the rest of them were pretty good. My buddy told me that these people had been offered a few thousand dollars on more than one occasion for that hound. I guess he found a few that night, but they got away. I'm not experienced enough to say if it was our fault or the dogs', but it was fun anyway. It's not something I want to do again and come up empty, though.
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

BrianSH wrote:
Rusty wrote:My son likes going that way, chaing the dogs through the woods at night. All he carries is a K-Bar and a piggin string.
Rusty, I savvy the Ka-Bar, but what's a piggin' string?

Inquirering minds want to know.

-Brian
A piggin' string is used to tie the hog's feet after the catch dog has a good bite on the hog. If you have ever watched a rodeo, a piggin' string is also used in calf roping.
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

shooter wrote:Did something last night I've never done before. I went hog hunting with dogs. I don't exactly know how I feel about hunting with dogs, but I wanted to go along and see how it was done. Unfortunately we came up hogless. The dogs had a couple bayed up, but we couldn't get to them before the pigs slipped out the back door because there was a lot of water in the way. We ended up just getting wet and crossing it, but not in time. I've never crossed water with ice in it, but i tell you it was COLD!! It's unusual for the water to ice over here in TX, anyway, but I guess it is left over from the cold spell we had last week. Anyone else done the hunting with dogs thing?

I have hunted hogs both with and without dogs. I personally prefer having the dogs around. What county are you hog hunting in?
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

"Anyone else done the hunting with dogs thing?"

Yup,... on cotton tails with beagles. A little more involved though, than just deciding to go out, grab a gun and load up the dogs. Beagles are little short legged critters , so, you have to wait for a freezing rain to lay down a layer of ice on existing snow. Then wait for about 2 to 4 inches of snow on top, so the rabbit can't get too far ahead of the dog. And then, you have to weight for it to be warm enough (just above freezing is good) so the dog can keep a scent. Some dogs better than others , of course!

Man,... there just ain't noth'n better in the world than when everything comes together,... you wake up on that day,.... REALIZE IT IS THE DAY,...you get all your gear together, hit your hunting buddies place at daylight, load up his dog and head into the woods.

WITHOUT EVEN A PHONE CALL TO EACH OTHER!

Rabbit hunting over dogs is an addiction!

8)
Last edited by 76/444 on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

I dont think I would mind sticking a bayed up pig with
a couple dogs latched on but I believe I would rather
use a spear or lance than a knife.

I just read the other day that more men were killed in
the civil war with the lance than any other weapon.

I didnt know that.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Nate C. wrote:
shooter wrote:
I have hunted hogs both with and without dogs. I personally prefer having the dogs around. What county are you hog hunting in?
The other day we were just outside of Wills Point. I know some people who have some land out there.
RJM52
Levergunner

Post by RJM52 »

...Wills Point... I used to live in Greenville...not too far from there but there were no hogs around back then.

Sounds like a great time till you come across the wrong kinda water snake... :shock:

Bob
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Nice to hear some familiar territory. Still have a few relatives in Wills Point. I was born just down the road in Mabank, (well born in Athens but lived in Mabank, Mabank has few Drs and no hospital).
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Hounds on a hot trail is pure purty music.