Wnchester 53?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Spiritmaker
Levergunner

Wnchester 53?

Post by Spiritmaker »

Were all the M53 Winchesters serial numbered with the M92? I've got a 5 digit sn on a M53. sn 10XXX. Any help appreciated.

Spiritmaker
dimrod
Levergunner

Re: Wnchester 53?

Post by dimrod »

I've got two model 53s. One is in serialized in the model 53 series (like yours) and the other in the model 1892 series. It appears that Winchester was not consistent.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

In the early production Winchester used M.92 serial numbers for the M.53. The later production had their own series. Both types of numbers are correct.
The M. 92 serial guns are called "transitional" models, and were only used in the early production.
Shotgun buttplates and ramp front sights are standard, all other configurations were special order.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

The info that Gunsmith has supplied above is generally accepted in the Winchester collecting world, and comes from respected sources such as George Madis' books on Winchesters. However, I am researching the Model 53 in preparation for writing two articles on them, and as part of my research, I am compiling a database of surviving Model 53's. What I have found shows that Madis supplied some mistaken information on the Model 53.

First, there were two series of Model 53's. Contrary to Madis' information, Series I guns came first and were numbered in their own Model 53 serial range, numbering from 1 to 10,874 (June 18, 1924 to September 21, 1927).

From late 1927 and on, Series II Model 53's were produced, using Model 92 receivers and serial numbered within the Model 92 serial range. The receivers and action for the Model 53 was identical to the Model 92.

The barrel dates for the Model 53's tell the story. Of the barrel dates that I've been able to collect, all the Serial I barrel dates run from 1924 to 1926. The Serial II barrel dates (Model 92 serial range) run from 1926 to 1930. Somehow Madis got his info backwards. The Model 53 Serial numbers are the early production, and the ones numbered with the Model 92's are the later production Model 53's. He also seem to be badly off on the percentage of 25-20 and 32 WCF (32-20) calibers produced.

Spiritmaker, I would be very grateful if you could PM me with the serial number and brief description (takedown or solid frame, special sights, buttstock type) of your Model 53 for my database. Once I have the serial number, I can give you the exact date your serial number was entered into the polishing room record book at Winchester. If you don't mind, I would especially like to get the barrel date, as I do not have any barrel dates for the 10,xxx range. The two-digit barrel date is under the barrel near the receiver. If you remove the two screws in the forearm tip, you can then slide out the tip, the magazine, and then tilt the forearm wood up and out. When removing the two screws for the forearm tip, however, be sure to hold the button end of the mag in with your finger, else the mag spring will send the forearm tip flying. Your barrel date should be '26' or maybe '27'. By this late in production, it looks like they were using barrels that had been already made the year before, though your barrel date will give me a better idea. I already have Dimrod's info (thanks again).
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I stand corrected. My response was out of Madis' book.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Up until recently, Madis' book, and one or two others, were our best sources of info. There are a few fellows, however, who are now doing extensive research into several of the old Winchester Models. I am working on the Model 53. Madis is right about some things, but he is way off on some other things. One other area that he was off on is the dates of Model 1894's around the turn of the century and late 1890's. Anyone who has a model 1894 that dates in the late 1890's needs to add about three years to Madis' dates. Factory letters, however, are correct.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Spiritmaker
Levergunner

Post by Spiritmaker »

KirkD,

Sent ya a pm.

Spiritmaker
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Spiritmaker wrote:KirkD,

Sent ya a pm.

Spiritmaker
Thanks. I sent you a PM back with some additional info on your Model 53.