The past IS another country...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

The past IS another country...

Post by Hobie »

Washington, D.C. Rifle club members at Woodrow Wilson High School Oct 1943

Not a levergun but...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: The past IS another country...

Post by Buck Elliott »

Looks just like our High School club from the late '50s...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

We had a rifle team as well.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Back in 1984, I took a rifle shooting course at Kansas State University. It was run by the ROTC, and it was on campus. Wonder if it is still available to the students there.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

We had an R.O.T.C. team as well. I shot on it for three years.

We also were allowed to bring our own personal guns to school and keep them in our hall lockers during the day -- pistols, rifles, shotguns, whatever we had. Nobody ever shot or threatened anybody else, and it was all cool. This was at Ben Lomond High School in Ogden, Utah -- not some rural 2-room school...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am only 44, and I miss those days.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

the good ole days...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I was the coach for the Sacramento CA Mira Loma High School shooting team in the mid-1970s. Many of the high schools had their own team and their own range, we shot at the El Camino High School range and at a large indoor range in the city park in the south part of town. It was not unusual to get 150 kids in on a weekend smallbore match. I suppose that is all gone now.
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

I graduated in 02. The school my friend went to had a shooting team but it was pellet rifles.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Back in my day, we all carried our rifles to school the day before opening day for deer hunting so our pa's could grab us out of school and head directly to camp. Heck, we didn't have any individual lockers and just hung our rifles on hooks in the hall way.

Then again the first rifle I actually bought, still have it by the way, I didn't have a driver's license yet. Walked into the store, they had a special on Glenfield 30A's with scope, sling, and a box of .30-30 ammo for about $39.99. Big bucks back then. I was about 14 at the time, rigged the rifle by screwing the scope on, mounting the sling, tossed the box, threw the sling over my shoulder and walked out of the building...nobody paid any attention. Started walk'n down the road to the Nike site (wonder how many remember those?) for a special deer hunt, got stopped by a Deputy Sherriff who asked where I was going. Told him and asked if I wanted a ride. Saved me a four-five mile hike, so I jumped into the front seat and loaded my gun as we drove to the Nike site. Never thought nuth'n of it.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

I think my college had a rifle team in my years there(1976-1980), but I had some very loud target practice in a concrete room under the football stadium while there. Now, in the mid 70s, there was absolutely no way my high school in commifornica would allow a gun team!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

We need to bring that back and make it manditory for graduation. Seriously.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

My wife took a rifle class at a Christian university (Hardin-Simmons) in Abilene, Texas in the mid '80s for her PE credit.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

they had a rifle team at Hargrave Military Academy in 77. wouldnt let me shoot because I was there as prep for USNA and not in an actual grade. stupid rule I thought. Are there any schools out there that stil have shooting teams? I'm not aware of any.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

O.S.O.K. wrote:We need to bring that back and make it manditory for graduation. Seriously.

I started to agree with you, but then I thought....how many kids in school now are on mood altering drugs (prescription or otherwise)?
You'd have to drug and psych test before enrollment!

On heck, I still agree with you. Home economics ought to be required too, for boys and girls.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

Post by OI phones in... »

Buck Elliott wrote:We had an R.O.T.C. team as well. I shot on it for three years.

We also were allowed to bring our own personal guns to school and keep them in our hall lockers during the day -- pistols, rifles, shotguns, whatever we had. Nobody ever shot or threatened anybody else, and it was all cool. This was at Ben Lomond High School in Ogden, Utah -- not some rural 2-room school...
That's pretty much how it was in Lander HS in the '80s. (700 students) I was Letterman on the Small Bore Team.
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

GOT GUN? Get T-Shirt!! Stand up & fight Prohibition!
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

OI phones in... wrote:
Buck Elliott wrote:We had an R.O.T.C. team as well. I shot on it for three years.

That's pretty much how it was in Lander HS in the '80s. (700 students) I was Letterman on the Small Bore Team.

+1 for Casper too (NCHS). All during the 60's (far too long ago unfortunately) there was an ROTC team (all boys had to take ROTC) and a team that was not ROTC. We had an indoor range at the school. We also had archery beginning in 7th grade. No one had a second thought about it.

I remember getting ready to go hunting entering the local grocery store on the way out of town wearing a handgun on my hip and the only questions I ever got were. . ."what caliber is it"? Seems to long ago and so far, far away.. . . . . . . .

. . . . .by the way OI, why the field phones? Reminds me of my days in the Army in wire comm. . . .
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

vancelw wrote:
O.S.O.K. wrote:We need to bring that back and make it manditory for graduation. Seriously.
I started to agree with you, but then I thought....how many kids in school now are on mood altering drugs (prescription or otherwise)?
You'd have to drug and psych test before enrollment!
On heck, I still agree with you. Home economics ought to be required too, for boys and girls.
Now THAT would be a good thing - yes kiddies, you get to learn about shooting, but ONLY if you go twelve months without a trace of mind-altering drugs in your system the previous year...I like it! 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Meeteetse wrote: . . . . .by the way OI, why the field phones? Reminds me of my days in the Army in wire comm. . . .
:mrgreen:
It's just the avatar I use for the account I have set up for when I'm using my PDA/Cellphone to log in. And yes, I've run a lot of TA312 wire when I was on the gun-line...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!