The term "white powder"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

The term "white powder"

Post by Dave »

Not long ago I was a the gun club amazing everyone with feats of shooting skill.......OK, I was just messing around. I was admiring a high wall an old guy had along with some other nice stuff. He and his buddy were having a big time. He asked me it I wanted to shoot his gun and I said I did.

Then he said "Black or white powder?" I was confused until he explained he had black and smokeless loads for the gun loaded up. I chose black since it makes the most smoke and is cooler.

I am not a big black powder guy so maybe I am not up on the lingo, but I know a lot of gun lingo and I had never heard anyone say "white powder" meaning "smokeless" before.

Is that a term you all hear very often?
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The term "white powder"

Post by Ray Newman »

Yes, I heard it spoken and seen written. From what I've read in older shooting publications, "White Powder" it is late 19th/early 20th century term to specifically mean smokeless/nitro powder.

Same thing with "patched" bullets, which originally meant paper patched bullets. When the jacketed bullet was first introduced, it was very often referred to as "Full Metal Patched".

Same with "center fire". Winchester originally labeled many of its rounds "Central Fire".
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I had an old single barrel break action 12 ga shotgun when I was a pup that was named "White Powder Wonder".. Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I think that is what you put in your boots to get rid of odor.
:o
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

A lot of the early smokeless powders were whitish in color as they didn't have some of the stuff that is now put into them. ATB
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Smokeless powder is not black. The black covering was/is graphite, I believe, used to allow the powder to flow more freely for loading.
The old British Cordite was yellowish and was in long strands.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Cliff: you made me think and I know that's dangerous.

Didn't the old DuPont market a smokeless/semi-smokeless shotgun powder that many BP shooters loaded on a bulk basis as a substitute for BP? It was a white coloured powder and very fine. van't recall the name....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.