Info on Winchester Model 1895 .40/72 WCF

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BuckHunter
Levergunner

Info on Winchester Model 1895 .40/72 WCF

Post by BuckHunter »

I have the above gun with Serial #620. Can anyone help me with an estimated value (for insurance matters)? The gun is in good shape and I have a partial box of shells and some brass. Is there ammo available for this gun???? I also am looking for approximate value on a Savage Lever in .303 cal. and Octagonal barrel, gun is in good shape , thanks, SR
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Info on Winchester Model 1895 .40/72 WCF

Post by Terry Murbach »

THERE IS NO WHERE NEAR ENOUGH INFORMATION IN YOUR POST TO EVEN HAZARD A GUESS AS TO THE VALUE OF THOSE FIREARMS.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Photos would help greatly.

It's all about the finish. Is it original and in good shape? Has anything been altered,
such as butt plates, or sights or Lord forbid a scope?

The more details the more accurately we can help!
An 1895 in 40-72 in new (rare) condition is quite valuable, as is a Savage 95/ 99 with an octagon barrel.

If it's brown and pitted and has extra holes then not so much, but there is still a market and value there.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Yep...pics needed.

Ed
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Since I have been looking for one for several years, I will hazard a guess on the M. 95. It's worth about $2000.00 in good and COMPLETE, ORIGINAL condition. I have no opinion on the Savage. Loaded ammo for the 40/72 is probably available from some custom reloaders. Loading dies are available fron the CH die company. Brass and bullets are available. Brass is made from 405 Winchester cases with modified (trimmed) rims.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I have not seen a good, all -original '95 .40-72 for $2,000 for a long time. I fact, I hardly ever see one for sale and when I do, they usually fetch significantly more than that. Having said that, the local gunshop had one come in this week, first one I've seen for sale here in Canada for years. They don't care about collector's value and advertised it for $470. I thought I'd hustle my backside in there post haste and pick it up, but someone beat me to it. $470 is a screaming good deal for a .40-72 but, as I said, the local gunshop up here in Canada just likes to move their hold guns out the door ASAP and doesn't worry about what the collectors value is too much.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Gun Smith wrote:Since I have been looking for one for several years, I will hazard a guess on the M. 95. It's worth about $2000.00 in good and COMPLETE, ORIGINAL condition. I have no opinion on the Savage. Loaded ammo for the 40/72 is probably available from some custom reloaders. Loading dies are available fron the CH die company. Brass and bullets are available. Brass is made from 405 Winchester cases with modified (trimmed) rims.

Actually you can use 405 dies in most cases, and .405 brass is too thick on the rims. It's best to use reformed 30-40 brass or order it from Bertrams, unless of course you have headspace issues which the .405 brass will do nicely.

And Kirk....I'm sick over that story :cry: I paid around $2K for mine.....but then finding one had become sort of an obsession with me too...

Ed
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Kansas Ed, If you got your 40/72 off the web, it is probably the one I DIDN'T get.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Gun Smith wrote:Kansas Ed, If you got your 40/72 off the web, it is probably the one I DIDN'T get.
Nope, and BTW I'd never bid against another forum member knowingly...I picked mine up at Tulsa. It was stuck at the back of a rack looking dirty and forlorn :P ..I'd left my "second opinion" at the other end of the building and never thought I'd get back fast enough. :lol: That's a longass walk with money burning your pants pocket :lol:

Ed
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I saw two "shooter" .40-72s at the last Reno show. IIRC, neither was over 2 Gs, and one a few hundred less than the other. Both looked to be 50%+ rifles. I want one with NS barrel and shotgun butt. Rare bird, though.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Mike D, Since I moved from Northern California I don't get to the Big Reno Show any more. My buddy and I went twice a year. I bought several Winchesters there. I do miss that show.