Chamber cast

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
twoguns
Levergunner 1.0

Chamber cast

Post by twoguns »

Like the "Chamber and Cartridge Dimensions" link on the Leverguns home page... here is a pictorial representation of the 1986 Browning production run of the 1886 Winny - 26 octagon barrel. I made this today with short brass and soft lead and it was a bear to unchamber. This is definetly a no-throat chamber.

Chamber length = 2.125
Bore = .450
Groove= .456
The ding above the number 2 happened when I extracted the case.

A man on a gallopin' horse in the middle of the night would never know the difference.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Chamber cast

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Wow ... no throat at all. Do you notice it when you try to eject an unfired round? Does it stick a bit?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
twoguns
Levergunner 1.0

Post by twoguns »

This a new-to-me rifle and I have not made up any rounds yet. So, I don't know the answer. I have ordered several different kinds of bullets both cast and jacketed to check it out.
A man on a gallopin' horse in the middle of the night would never know the difference.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

That is typical with leverguns. Usually it causes no problems unless you try to shoot bore riding or long nose bullets that are oversize. :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I found the "Chamber and Cartridge Dimensions" link on the Leverguns home page, but for some reason it wouldn't function (drop-down menu hitch of some sort).

Anyway, is that where it actually discussed the chamber-casting method you used, or is there another handy link to a description of the process? It looks like you just chambered an empty, and poured lead down the muzzle, although I'm suspecting it's a bit more complex than that. How do?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
twoguns
Levergunner 1.0

Post by twoguns »

Nope not a chamber cast - the impact method

http://www.texas-mac.com/Making_a_Chamb ... ssion.html

This works better in falling block style actions. It is difficult to get a lever action back open. I recomend using Cerrosafe instead.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

twoguns wrote: I recomend using Cerrosafe instead.
Thanks. That's probably what I need to do.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "