Falling blocks

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FALPhil
Levergunner 1.0

Falling blocks

Post by FALPhil »

Why do some people consider falling block actions, or in the case of the Peabody or Martini, tilting blocks, lever actions? In my mind, even though they use a short lever to lower the block, they are not really lever actions in the sense of a Winchester 92, a BLR, or a Marlin 336. Falling/tilting blocks are really their own class of action, aren't they?
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

YES THEY ARE IN A PLACE ALL BY THEMSELVES. WE HAVE HAD SOME BIG SQUABBLES HERE ABOUT THIS IN THE PAST. MAYBE WE'LL HAVE ANOTHER HERE IN THE FUTURE !!! OKAY, LET'S START ONE NOW.....
IT AIN'T A LEVERGUN IF OPERATING THE LEVER DOES NOT EXTRACT AND EJECT THE EMPTY WHEN THE LEVER GOES DOWN AND LOAD A FRESH CARTRIDGE IN THE CHAMBER WHEN THE LEVER IS BROUGHT BACK UP.
OKAY OKAY....SO THAT MEANS ALL OF YOU GUYS WITH YORE SHARPS, STEVENS 44 AND FAVORITES ETC ETC ETC GOTTA GO AWAY AND START YOUR OWN WEBSITE. GO ON...SKEDADDLE.....WELL UNLESS YOU WANT TO BUY US ALL A COLD ONE AND ADMIT YOU HANG AROUND HERE TO BE WITH REAL MEN WITH REAL GUNS !!!

SEE, IT IS NOT ALL THAT DIFFICULT TO P O A BUNCH OF FOLKS; WHAT FUN !!!!
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Like Terry said.
But if you want to post pictures will let it slide 8)
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Well, here we go...

They are too lever actions, and some of the first by the way.
mad mucus
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mad mucus »

:shock: ..... Hold ya horses fellas, I have some popcorn in the pantry.

Mucus :twisted:
"Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."
cas
Senior Levergunner

Re: Falling blocks

Post by cas »

FALPhil wrote:Why do some people consider falling block actions, or in the case of the Peabody or Martini, tilting blocks, lever actions?
Because i gives us an excuse to talk about them here. 8)

I think Terry's description is of a Lever action repeater.
I generally don't consider them lever actions, but I don't see why they aren't I guess. Single shot bolt actions are still "bolt action rifles."

Hmmm.... The term "magazine rifle" has fallen out of favor. Tis a shame.
Slow is just slow.
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

Maybe because they are operated with a lever????????????????????

Might not be a lever action repeater, but argueing they are not a lever action is, at best, sophomoric.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Yikes.. My Red Ryder Repeating Carbine.. Hamerless Design, Has a Lever...Feeds a round from the tubular under barrel magazine.. . But doesn't extract... So, it is disqualified..NOT a true LeverGun... It comes sooo close too!! ...So then, Sharps, Ballards & all the rest are less than my Red Ryder and are disqualified too!!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My Ruger #1 has a lever, it just doesn't have a magazine.

My handi Rifle has a little itty bitty lever, it doesn't have a magazine either.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
FALPhil
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FALPhil »

Cast Bullet Hunter wrote:Maybe because they are operated with a lever????????????????????

Might not be a lever action repeater, but argueing they are not a lever action is, at best, sophomoric.
Sooo, my box lock SxS shotgun is a lever action because it is operated with a lever, even though it is not technically a repeater? BTW, the lever operates from side to side, not up and down... :?:
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

FalPhil....A bolt gun has a lever handle..Call 'em all what you want... See what I mean? We like guns..Post about them... No worries
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

:lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
FALPhil
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FALPhil »

Ben_Rumson wrote:FalPhil....A bolt gun has a lever handle..Call 'em all what you want... See what I mean? We like guns..Post about them... No worries
Heh, heh. I didn't realize I owned so many lever guns!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Terry Murbach wrote:YES THEY ARE IN A PLACE ALL BY THEMSELVES. WE HAVE HAD SOME BIG SQUABBLES HERE ABOUT THIS IN THE PAST. MAYBE WE'LL HAVE ANOTHER HERE IN THE FUTURE !!! OKAY, LET'S START ONE NOW.....
IT AIN'T A LEVERGUN IF OPERATING THE LEVER DOES NOT EXTRACT AND EJECT THE EMPTY WHEN THE LEVER GOES DOWN AND LOAD A FRESH CARTRIDGE IN THE CHAMBER WHEN THE LEVER IS BROUGHT BACK UP.
OKAY OKAY....SO THAT MEANS ALL OF YOU GUYS WITH YORE SHARPS, STEVENS 44 AND FAVORITES ETC ETC ETC GOTTA GO AWAY AND START YOUR OWN WEBSITE. GO ON...SKEDADDLE.....WELL UNLESS YOU WANT TO BUY US ALL A COLD ONE AND ADMIT YOU HANG AROUND HERE TO BE WITH REAL MEN WITH REAL GUNS !!!

SEE, IT IS NOT ALL THAT DIFFICULT TO P O A BUNCH OF FOLKS; WHAT FUN !!!!
OK, all of you'se guys who want to sign up for the Terry Murbach School of Lever Gunology please move to the right side of the room.
Also you'll need to wipe the Hoppes, Borebutter, Eds Red, or whatever off your fingers so you don't smudge up the application form.

Every body else move to the left side of the room. Hobie will hand you a stick so you can beat the dead horse some more.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Terry, you're right this is fun :lol:

J 8) e
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

THANK YOU, JOE, FOR PUTTING THEM ON THE RIGHT--CORRECT--SIDE OF THE ROOM.
I THINK YOU MAY HAVE TO READ THE FORM TO THEM THOUGH...you know why too....IF THEY CANNOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A LEVERGUN AND A LEFER ACTUATED FALLING BLOCK MOST ARE PROBABBLY ILLITERATE...maybe even illegal alliens...TELL 'EM IT IS A STATE DISABILITY PAYMENTS FORM AND THEY'LL SIGN THE SHIQ OUTTA IT LIKE RIGHT NOW !!!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

How about this Terry, we give an entrance exam.

The prospective member comes up states their full name EG; Bubba Levercranker. Then we show them pictures of some rifles. If they can ID them on the first try all they have to do to enroll is put their right thumb print on the signature line and they are in.

How about that?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Rusty wrote:My Ruger #1 has a lever, it just doesn't have a magazine.

My handi Rifle has a little itty bitty lever, it doesn't have a magazine either.

Rusty <><
My Handi Rifles don't have levers. They have plungers.
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

Hmmmm........now, are we talking leverACTION, or just leverGUN?
Could be a loophole ya know. Its like it depends on what is is. :D :D :D
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Terry,

I miss you buddy!

Scott
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

SO I GET THIS EMULE FROM SOME YAHOO WHO TELLS ME MY LOVER OVER ON LEVERGUNS SAYS HE MISSES ME !!!!!! L OL !!!
IT TOOK ME FOR FOREVER TO FIND YOUR POST, SCOTT !!!! THEN I SET HERE AND LAUGHED LIKE A DAGGONE NINNIE OVER IT. L O L!!!

WE ARE DOING FINE UP HERE. I HAVE BEEN BATCHING IT FOR 3 WEEKS WHILE JUDY WAS IN EUROPE. SHE'LL BE BACK SATURDAY NIGHT.
I AM FEELING WELL AND HAVE RECOVERED FROM MY OPERATION LAST APRIL.
WINTER IS STILL UP HERE IN THE BLACK HILLS AS WE SPEAK BUT SO FAR IT HAS BEEN A FAIRLY MILD WINTER.
SANTA BROUGHT ME A NEW ' 73 SPORTING RIFLE FOR CHRISTMAS. HE BROUGHT JUDY NEW SNOW TIRES FOR HER CAR. HEY, IT IS WHAT SHE ASKED FOR. BY THE WAY HER CAR IS A VW JETTA WITH A RACING DIESEL SET UP FOR THE AUTOBAHN AND IT'LL CRUISE 140 AND HIT 160MPH SLICK AS YOU PLEASE. IT'LL HIT 100 IN THIRD GEAR AND YOU HAVE TWO MORE GEARS TO GO WOOOOOEEEEEEE....WHAT FUN !!!
I HOPE ALL IS WELL WITH YOU THIS NEW YEAR. I DID SEE SOMEWHERE THAT SOME BIGTIME CLIENT OF YOURS STUCK YOU FOR HIS FEES. I HOPE YOU NAILED THE SONOFABITCHE'S HIDE TO THE BARN DOOR AND BEAT IT BLACK.
HEY, I SENT YOU A CHRISTMAS CARD IN DECEMBER AND IT WAS RETURNED FOR THE WRONG ADDRESS.

KEEP IN TOUCH.

TM
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Terry,

I'll send you my new address by e-mail old friend.

Remember, when next you lift your glass, I'll be lifting mine to toast you.

Kiss that gal of yours on the cheek for me and I will give Miss Lisa a squeeze for you!

God bless,

Scott
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Terry,

I'm up for supplying the beer. And while I love my Sharps, it falls in second place to my Win94s. Or, maybe that's 3rd... I have a fondness for my '73 Sportin' Rifle (copy).

Although... that post did have a certain... nah, what I hear of Terry, jealousy wouldn't be a motive.... :twisted: 'Sides, Scott likes 'im, and anyone who invites me huntin' couldn't have bad taste! :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Stupid question I know but I just can't help myself, :lol:
Whats the name of that thing under the gun thats used to open the action? :shock:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Depends on the definition. The "classic" or "traditional" lever-action it is not. This is what comes to mind - i.e. - the "western" version of this action where a throw of the lever ejects the brass on the previous cartridge, loads the next cartridge, and cocks the hammer - when most people say "lever-action". However, it is a lever action weapon - as is a Sharps, Spencer, etc.

I remember posting this question a couple years ago when I first joined. It started a fun debate, which is half of why we are here! We all have to remember the site is popular and we get newbies all the time - including those new to shooting and lever-actions themselves. Having this rehashed once every year isn't a bad thing - lots of folks learn from it.

But the bottom line, as mentioned before, is we like ALL guns, and enjoys pictures of pretty much anything!!! :D
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Eh, magazines are over-rated. Except perhaps for close-range and medium-distance fightin', I could easily be happy with Ruger Number Ones, Sharps, and Rollers. Not that I plan to actually get rid of my BLRs, of course.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

There is a difference between a lever action singleshot rifle, and a lever action repeater, but it isn't the lever!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

I believe the old saying is:
"If it must be explained to someone, they will not understand."

Grace and Peace,
Pastordon
Pastordon's Blog
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. (1 Cor. 8:2)
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

ah come on fellas, I was hopin for a better bun fight than this :(

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.