Hawes Western Marshall, Info Anyone?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Hawes Western Marshall, Info Anyone?

Post by nemhed »

I have the chance to look at one of these, the guy is asking $200:
".357 Single Action cowboy gun, 6" blued barrel, Hawes Firearms Co. L.A., barrel also stamped "Germany." Brass backstrap and triggerguard. Wood grips. Blueing shows wear on cylinder and holster contact points. Some discoloration on ejector shroud. Shoots well, very accurate."

There is not a whole lot of information about these. They apparently were imported in the 50s and 60's. Any information or personal experience would appreciated. I'm more familiar with Ruger SAs than Colt Clones, so buying tips on what to look for may be helpful. Thanks!
Ysabel Kid

Re: Hawes Western Marshall, Info Anyone?

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I've handled one before - a .44 that looked a heck of a lot like the Ruger Super Blackhawk - but never fired one. The one I saw was well done - very good fit and finish. I'm trying to recall what has been discussed here before - I'm pretty sure the topic has come up, but it has been a while. Sounds like a good price for a SA in good condition.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The "Hawes" single actions were made by Sauer & Sohn in Germany. They are not really a "clone" as the frame & cylinder was enlarged to about the size of the Ruger Super Blackhawk. They did not make the topstrap as thick as the Ruger however, sticking with the fixed-sight configuration of the old Colt SAA.

I had a number of friends who tried to wear out their Hawes and were not successful. One friend had a .44 Magnum ... he put many thousands of rounds through his and it remained tight and accurate.

Another had both the .357 and the 44 Magnum. He also put untold thousands through both of them, again without loosening the guns or hurting them. In fact, I was with him one day when he was shooting some reloads fairly rapidly. One was a dud and the bullet stopped halfway down the bore. He was shooting fast enough that he fired the next load by reflex. 250 gr. Keith with 21 gr. 2400. All it did was put a bulge in the barrel. The gun itself was not hurt. He rebarreled it and it was just fine.

Like any single action the screws loosen up from prolonged firing of heavy loads and the Hawes had no washers or little plastic buttons on the screws to keep them from backing out. Carrying a screwdriver in one's pocket was always advisable.

The firing pin arrangement was like that on the Great Western guns and will sometimes loosen ... but that's just part of maintenance.

Overall they were a great single action pistol.

PS = article about Sauer & Sohn http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauer_&_Sohn
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

$200 for a heavyduty 357 is a great deal in today's market. And as Jim said - they are STOUT. If a 357 of that size fills your needs (or wants) then you could do a lot worse than this one.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

AmBraCol wrote:$200 for a heavyduty 357 is a great deal in today's market. And as Jim said - they are STOUT. If a 357 of that size fills your needs (or wants) then you could do a lot worse than this one.

+1 :) Would grab that in a minute! Great Find!
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

I've got one that is similar. It has adjustable sights and is stamped Herter's. The rest of it is the same made by the same maker. It is ox strong, reliable, accurate, and one of the best handguns I've managed to find for the price. I rides with me everyday and is loaded with cartridges designed to shoot through a steel truck door and still have enough swat to do damage on the otherside. Buy it. You won't be sorry.

If it every wears out, and I doubt it will, it can be used as a boat anchor or a weight to hold the roof on your trailer down in a tornado.
Last edited by Idiot on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I appreciate the replies and the information, but it ain't ridin' on my hip just yet. The guy hasn't returned my e-mail or called me, so... :roll:
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

That gun is heavy enough that running a 100 full house 357's thru it isn't bad at all, if you got the muscles in your forearm to hold it that long. :D
Instead of riding on your hip , :D you may want to consider a shoulder holster. :mrgreen:
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I bought one(357) in germany from the rod & gun club over there.mine was stamped jp Sauer & Sohn IIRC.good solid revolver.I kept it fed by casting bullets off a coleman stove and sizing them with a lee cookie cutter. :lol:
pete
DAV life member.
SoftwarePro
Levergunner

Post by SoftwarePro »

I friend of mine has one of these, she was recently asking me if I knew anything about them. It belonged to her husband who passed away about 25 years ago. I'm sure it hasn't been fired since then. It's a nickel-plated .45 Western Marshal with black pearlized grips. Real pretty gun. It feels heavy to me but I'm not used to SA's. Very solid piece, though, and seems to be in good working order. I'll have to see if I can get her to take it out to the range this spring.
Tumbleweeds II
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tumbleweeds II »

I had a .44 mag for a couple of years. Although the sights were fixed, it shot .44 specials right to the point of aim. Wish I had it back.

It didn't seem heavy to me, but I'm kind of built on a truck chassis.
Formerly known as "Tumbleweeds"
gregg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gregg »

As West Dakota told me once when I called him to as about a Pinned & recessed S&W Hi-way Patrolman I found
"What the blank are you doing sitting there talking to me for? Get in there and buy it."
Got one with blue well wore. 357 mag, Fun well built gun. Like Jim Taylor said built Great Western of the 50's.
If you like SA's its a good one. Mine not for sale!
Sights hit on mine with light 38's AND heavy 200 gr 2400 loads.