OK SDA Applications -Done. FINAL EDITION ITS HERE!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

OK SDA Applications -Done. FINAL EDITION ITS HERE!

Post by Hillbilly »

Well... went to a SDA class, showed up at the SO for finger prints and paperwork. Shelled out the cash (ah... cash for the fingerprints, debit card for the OSBI)

Now they tell me it's just a matter of waiting (and waiting). Word on the street says 80+ days... or a month- go figure.

The clerk was ok... but as most county paper pushers can be... she showed some obvious irratation when we found a glitch in a convolution of the instructions on the form. That's ok... anyone that deals with any government procedures know that linear logic is a zig-zag at best.

The Deputy who did the finger prints was cool. First thing he says it, "how do you like going through all this just to carry a gun?" He had a couple of comments on how rights are impinged with some of the regulations. Then he asked me what I proposed to carry. "1911? Really- now that's what I am talking about".
Our county does prints in the booking-intake area. I got to watch a suspect go through intake while I was waiting. Seems that bad prints kick the application when it gets to the state... mine were done on computer scanning equipment. I hope those work better than rolling ink.

I hate doing stuff like this. Never had a record other than a few traffic tickets... but I always figure that my background will get crossed up with Dillinger's.

So... the wait begins...........
Last edited by Hillbilly on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OK SDA Applications -Done.

Post by mescalero1 »

Got mine in Az.
went through like a charm.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

We can always issue you a non resident one here in Fla! :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I always think how in THIS country, the individual citizen was supposed to have the inherent right to carry small arms, vs. the government (i.e. the police who grant you 'permission' to carry) are really only to be allowed such firearms under such restrictions as we the citizens place on them.

I keep my mouth shut, though, because smarting off to bureaucrats never works out well.

That's why I dislike bureaucrats!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Hillbilly Glad to hear you went the right way and got a permit. I know the 2 amendment gave us that right but I am now carrying legal here in Arkansas. Have had my permit alot of years now.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

good on you.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Cool. I just sent in for the Florida application should be here in 10 business days.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Welcome to the ranks Hillbilly. I've had mine over 9 years now.

What county are you in?

When I turned in my application the sheriff saw me walk by his office and stopped in the middle of a conversation to ask what I was doing there. When I told him I was turning in my CCW application he said "Oh God, you mean they're going to give YOU a gun?!?!" He then cracked a big grin and waved me on. (he and my dad brank coffee together semi regularly...)
allhands
Levergunner 2.0

Post by allhands »

Man am I glad I live in a "shall issue" state. Our permit system is very good, but we do have the occasional police chief who thinks he has the final say. WHen Portland got a new chief from LA, he was stunned to find out about the "shall issue" part and couldn't believe the number of permits he had to sign!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only state that gets it correct is Vermont (believe it or not) where there is NO PERMIT REQUIRED to own, or carry concealed or openly!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bill Nowicki
Headed "upta camp"
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Cnjarvis... I live in Logan... between Guthrie and the Iowa Nation.

~J
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

allhands wrote:The only state that gets it correct is Vermont (believe it or not) where there is NO PERMIT REQUIRED to own, or carry concealed or openly!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alaska too, I believe (though I could be misremembering).
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

alnitak wrote:Alaska too, I believe (though I could be misremembering).
I looked up Alaska carry law at www.handgunlaw.us and it was confusing, at least to me. It says "In Alaska any one who can legally own a firearm can carry it concealed without a Permit/License."

And then it goes on to outline the rules for acquiring a permit in the section "How to Apply for a Permit". ???
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JReed wrote:Cool. I just sent in for the Florida application should be here in 10 business days.
Since Florida honors Indiana permits, what is the advantage to a Hoosier of getting a Florida permit also...?
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I am gonna venture a guess.

The fussier your states CCW process is...the likelier you are to get a reciprocity agreement with other states?

From what I hear..Alabama is almost a "walk in walk out" process.

Oklahoma plays the "adminstrative angle to the hilt... but I found the "training aspect" very minimal compared to Michigan's.

We have to drop papers at the SO... after class is done. A very simple 15 question test... and some lectures from a lawyer telling war stories about shootings. Some very rudimentry gun safety and basic marksmanship... the 10-5 shot strings fired from 3 and 5 yards-no score noted. If you dont shoot yourself of scare the bejusus out of the RO you pass.

A Circuit court magistrate (who's a NG Col) was the shooting instructor in my Michigan class. 50 round.. 2 shot stings, double taps with a follow up to the head... some five shot strings... and 10 rounds in low light... not the "end all of training" but a lot more demonstrative of skills in my opinion.

The papers can lay in the SO for 14 days before they go of to the state OSBI... who then forwards finger prints to the FBI... this is all suposed to happen withing 90 days after the package arrives at the OSBI offices.

In OK... it seems that the favorite slow down excuse is "bad prints"... back to the SO and do it again.... if you get 2 sets of bad prints, you can go to the OSBI and they will take them.

If it all works.. papers go back to the SO... you should get a letter (some folks dont) and they papers will lay in records until you check in a lot of counties.

I understand that in our OK 30 days turnaround is a miracle... 90+ is the norm. In Michigan, if you were not disqualified by day 90.. the sherrif must issue a temp card until you are denies or your card shows up.

Wait wait wait..........
Last edited by Hillbilly on Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

I refuse to pay to exercise my rights! When I feel the need to carry, I carry. If I go to jail, so be it. I can get out of jail, I cant get out of dead.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Just past 30 days...tick tock tick tock.

I did buy a gun that required a FFl transfer... they tell me that most of the OSBI check data comes from the same Federal data base. I take that as a good sign. From what I am told bad finger prints are the major malfunction in OK... some SO's in the state just have a hard time getting a good set of prints... you can get 2 local print rejections then they let you go to the State and their tech will do them.

The county sent my papers along right at 14 days... my debit for the State fee posted a couple of days later....Wait wait wait
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Chas. wrote:
alnitak wrote:Alaska too, I believe (though I could be misremembering).
I looked up Alaska carry law at http://www.handgunlaw.us and it was confusing, at least to me. It says "In Alaska any one who can legally own a firearm can carry it concealed without a Permit/License."

And then it goes on to outline the rules for acquiring a permit in the section "How to Apply for a Permit". ???
So that Alaskans can get reciprocity in those states that require a permit to get reciprocity, which are all but Vermont...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Seems like here in OK, they take their sweet time. Both times I've been waiting on my CCW, it seems they've taken the specified time less a couple of weeks.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

AJMD429 wrote:
JReed wrote:Cool. I just sent in for the Florida application should be here in 10 business days.
Since Florida honors Indiana permits, what is the advantage to a Hoosier of getting a Florida permit also...?
Sorry lost track of this. The Florida permit is recognized in more states then the Indiana permit.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Still waiting ....popcorn, anyone?

Ok has some open carry legislation working through the State house this term ... kind of waiting to see how that works out.

Riding down and across the county road I live on makes me a criminal when I carry a SAA.... a regular Baby Face Nelson ya know. At least in this county, "Officer, the (insert here, coyote, cow, snake) is on the OTHER side of the road..." works.

maybe this week.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

have mine in penna. for about 15 years now. it's a fairly simple process, which contridicts most processes in penna. :o
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JReed wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:
Sorry lost track of this. The Florida permit is recognized in more states then the Indiana permit.
Thanks...! Maybe if I ever travel I should get one. Heading west from Indiana it won't matter what permit I have for the first 500 miles, though, thanks to Illinois... :evil:

firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Hillbilly,

You should be hearing from them anytime, I've been hearing about 8 weeks. First part of the year is worst because of renewals. Usually if there's a fingerprint problem you'd have heard by now. Under the former sheriffs (2) my county became the first for an almost auto-reject due to prints. The state finally started letting people from my county come up after one reject.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

"Your application has been completed on 3/22/10. Those applicants that have been approved will have their licenses waiting for them at the local sheriff's office. Within the next two-three weeks you will be receiving your letter notifying you of your status."~OSBI E MAIL from yesterday!

Got antsy yesterday and checked status. Does this sound like my paperwork cleared... or is it double-speak for "we are gonna reject your prints and do a warrant service at 2 AM because we think you're "the other Hillbilly" we have been looking for since 1977"? :lol: :D
Tick Tock...

A plus note... that email was answered in about 3 hours.... much better service that most Oklahoma agencies we deal with.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OK SDA Applications -Done. UPDATE

Post by Hillbilly »

Well ...stopped by the SO on the way in this afternoon... My card was here. OSBI issued on the 19th and it beat the notification letter.

Now.. I can travel in 30 odd states, heeled. I guess when Illinois gets it's collective head out it's collective butt one day I can travel across there without bagging my gun.

Good Job OSBI!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OK SDA Applications -Done. UPDATE

Post by J Miller »

Hillbilly wrote:Well ...stopped by the SO on the way in this afternoon... My card was here. OSBI issued on the 19th and it beat the notification letter.

Now.. I can travel in 30 odd states, heeled. I guess when Illinois gets it's collective head out it's collective butt one day I can travel across there without bagging my gun.

Good Job OSBI!
I would not suggest holding your breath.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OK SDA Applications -Done. FINAL EDITION ITS HERE!

Post by Hillbilly »

Joe... over at "carry.org" they explained the "loop hole" that gets you Illinois folks "6 seconds from Danger"... From what I read you can keep an unloaded gun in a purse or fanny pack... and load it up if you get in a bind. All thats needed is a good "FOID" card and the gun, purse and ammo...

Don't ask me to be the "test case" in Cook County. Folks living downstate need to seceed from the North Eastern counties.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hillbilly wrote:Joe... over at "carry.org" they explained the "loop hole" that gets you Illinois folks "6 seconds from Danger"... From what I read you can keep an unloaded gun in a purse or fanny pack... and load it up if you get in a bind. All thats needed is a good "FOID" card and the gun, purse and ammo...

Don't ask me to be the "test case" in Cook County. Folks living downstate need to seceed from the North Eastern counties.

Hillbilly,
I've read all about that "loop hole" and won't touch it with a 10' pole. When "carry.org" came up with this every single police chief and sheriff that was interviewed said they'd arrest any one they caught carrying like that. Then they'd let the courts figure it out.
No way am I gonna risk my unblemished criminal record and 2nd Amd rights to be a test subject anywhere in this state.
I think the idea was foolish and I think "carry.org" was foolish for suggesting it.

As far as seceding from the North Eastern Counties we really don't need to go that far. All we need is to quietly dig a big crevice around Cook County and then push it off into the lake.
That would solve ALL of Illinois problems.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Joe... I have watched Cook and Lake County politics for years... safely insulated from the fray by a good 90 miles of cold, fresh water.

For several years... about 100 miles of Kentucky served as a very good barrier for me also.

Today? About 500 miles of Oklahoma in series with Missouri seems a bit to close. I feel your pain Brother.