Bullet fit

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Bullet fit

Post by perry owens »

Spent some time cutting down 100 50-70 cases to form 56-50 Spencer rounds so I can spend some range time if the ground ever dries out enough to get up the road to it. It's tricky to measure the bore size of a 3-groove bore but as far as I can tell the bullet mould I have throws them out at about bore diameter, at 0.515in. I like to have bullets that are 0.001 or 0.002 over bore size so I am a bit concerned that these might tumble and I have wasted my time loading them.
Here is one I drove through the bore with a wooden rod
The rifling has engraved it ok so if black powder bumps it up a bit It might take a spin. With Spencer moulds at $125 each I don't want to buy any more. Any opinions guys?

Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bullet fit

Post by Nath »

Can you lap the mold Perry?

Is it soft lead, the bullet?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

You could beagle the mold. Get some thin aluminum tape and place a couple small strips between mold blocks when you cast. There is a lot more info on this practice over at the cast boolits forum.
NRA Life Member
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Nath wrote:Can you lap the mold Perry?

Is it soft lead, the bullet?
It's 20:1 alloy. If I go any softer the lip of the breechblock gouges the ogive of the bullet when it pushes it back into the magazine.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

My friend, I have to say this :

"Worry is always worthwhile, and I know it for a fact. The things I worry about never happen!"

Heck, it's all fun -- go out, shoot them, and see what happens. Odds are probably at least even that they'll do fine. If not -- well, all of life is a leaning curve. :wink:
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Looks to me like you got a pretty good "bite" on the bullet. As others said, load a few rounds and try it.
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Looks like you may get some leading from gas cutting through the grooves, where they don't seal.

jomo