John Wayne commemrative ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

John Wayne commemrative ammo

Post by spurgon »

I saw some John Wayne commerative ammo in 32-40 priced at $42.00/box. How does this price run?
sppurgon
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

That would be the older stuff from the '70s. If you just had to have a box for your collection I guess it's not "too" bad. But if you're looking for shoot 'em up ammo, I'm not sure. Depends how expensive the regular stuff is.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

J,

I don't think that it is sold as loaded ammo now. Haveing one (rifle in 32-40) to shoot now was the straw that broke the camels back as far as me starting to cast bullets. A nice gentleman in Oklahoma is sending me some dies, brass, and some hand cast lead bullets in various size so that I can slug my barrel. Then he will sell me the right mold and sizers once we know what the rifle likes. It sure is nice the meet good people like that. I think I'll do as you said and get one box for the collection. I didn't know it but the headstamp says "DUKE".

spurgon
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

DUKE.....DID YOU SAY DUKE ???? THAT MUST BE MIKE VENTURINO'S AMMO. BETTER SEND IT BACK TO HIM....
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

too high
go to sportsman guide. i think i saw a special on JW ammo
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

spurgon wrote:J,

I don't think that it is sold as loaded ammo now. Haveing one (rifle in 32-40) to shoot now was the straw that broke the camels back as far as me starting to cast bullets. A nice gentleman in Oklahoma is sending me some dies, brass,
Save your money on the brass. Just run a 30-30 case through a FL 32-40 sizer and seat the bullet out a bit. Unless of course, you like a properly headstamped case. Big price difference. I go through lots of brass and as a former Boy Scout, I am thrifty.---------------
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I bought some from a fellow levergunner here a few months ago. I believe I paid way less than that. But, I'll certainly re-evaluate my decision to shoot it up when I get that 1885 Winchester after seeing that!

Aw, heck, it's why I bought it. But, maybe I'll save a box...

Just looked, one box has a $15.99 price tag. That might be a little low for current prices, but I think the original 5 boxes I bought in 1982 was right at $9.99 a box of 20.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Terry Murbach wrote:DUKE.....DID YOU SAY DUKE ???? THAT MUST BE MIKE VENTURINO'S AMMO. BETTER SEND IT BACK TO HIM....
Yep, it sez "DUKE" right on the headstamp, but it also sez "W" on one side of the primer and "W" on the other with .32-40 on the bottom. So, much as I like Mike, it's just as much "W-W"s as it is mine or Mike's. Neither "W-W" nor Mike is getting mine!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

The Wal-Mart in Nitro , WV has it for around $15.50 a box or at least they did have at Christmas time. Mike
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Mike-in-WV wrote:The Wal-Mart in Nitro , WV has it for around $15.50 a box or at least they did have at Christmas time. Mike
That would be the new .44-40 stuff for the new '92 JW Commemorative.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Thanks Griff, I never really looked at the caliber, just the price marked on the shelf below it. Mike