Henry Actually Makes a 22lr 'Trapper'

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Henry Actually Makes a 22lr 'Trapper'

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Henry Actually Makes a 22lr 'Trapper'

Post by Blaine »

Interesting...... How are the triggers on those beasts?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Mine is actually pretty good. Those who've gotten gritty ones just call Henry, explain their issue, and Henry will ship them out polished parts for free!
Steve
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Very nice and now you got me thinkin' so I went to their website. Their "Frontier" model with it's octagon barrel looks pretty nice. I wonder how much it runs.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

nemhed wrote:Very nice and now you got me thinkin' so I went to their website. Their "Frontier" model with it's octagon barrel looks pretty nice. I wonder how much it runs.
Bud's Guns has them in stock for $320 delivered.
Steve
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

My boys have the Henry Youth Model and I like to shoot as much as they do. It fits fine and is light, reliable and accurate.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Do they make it in .22 Mag?
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Is that in .22 Mag?
I could always change the lever.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Grandson Jerry3 bought a Henry a couple of years ago. It is a real tack driver, I put a Marble's 1/16 gold bead like Ted did for his.That was a major improvement. A real slick action and a good trigger too.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
graham1
Levergunner

Post by graham1 »

86er wrote:My boys have the Henry Youth Model and I like to shoot as much as they do. It fits fine and is light, reliable and accurate.

Same situation here. Great little rifle! I'm about 5'11" and it fits me and my 7 year old, and everyone in between. Nice price on them as well.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

86er wrote:My boys have the Henry Youth Model and I like to shoot as much as they do. It fits fine and is light, reliable and accurate.
I have wondered about the fit of the youth model as its a little bit cheaper than the big loop carbine and I don't particularly need the big loop.

Cool lookin' Trapper Steve. 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

game keeper wrote:
I have wondered about the fit of the youth model as its a little bit cheaper than the big loop carbine and I don't particularly need the big loop.

Thanks, just a bit of cutting and pasting on the computer and Henry's picture of their Youth Model became their Trapper. BTW, I'm 5'9" but have long arms and I found I had to stretch my neck a bit to get close to the Williams receiver sight with their std stock. That and once I compared the std to my 2 Rossis convinced me try the youth stock. I'm very satisfied with it.
Steve
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

COSteve wrote: Image

I bought a youth model Henry a couple of years ago when Cabelas had them on sale for $239. It's for my grandson, I'm afraid if I ever take it out of the box and shoot it that he may never get it! <G>.

Henry has metal barrel bands available, and they are very reasonable. The front sight is integrated with the barrel band so I think it's a must to replace the plastic parts.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, The H001 (.22lr), H001M (.22 Mag), H001T (.22lr), H001TM (.22 Mag) & H001Y (youth) .22lr buttstocks are ALL interchangeable on the various receiver cover/tangs.

The only difference is that the youth buttstocks are shorter than the others, and the magnum stocks are checkered.

Sooooooo...................... IF someone wants a .22 Mag "Yout ;) Model", all they need to do is procure a .22 mag and swap in a H001Y buttstock ( and forend so both will nave no checkering) :mrgreen:

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

COSteve wrote:
game keeper wrote:

Thanks, just a bit of cutting and pasting on the computer and Henry's picture of their Youth Model became their Trapper. BTW, I'm 5'9" but have long arms and I found I had to stretch my neck a bit to get close to the Williams receiver sight with their std stock. That and once I compared the std to my 2 Rossis convinced me try the youth stock. I'm very satisfied with it.
Coincidence! I'm 5'9" with long arms, so now I know I can save a few bucks should I get round to buying a new Henry, thanks Steve. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I got my H001 a couple of years ago before the "Trapper" model came out.

About a month later it became my Win-Henry youth saddle ring trapper model :lol:

16" barrel
Win 94 dove-tailed front post sight
Win 94 saddle Ring
Win 94 rear sight
Win 9422 front barrel band
lopped two inches of the stock for my daughter.

Smooth as butter and as dependable and accurate as my Marlins and Winchesters.

Last edited by meanc on Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

The newer H001 Henrys seem to all be coming from the factory with both a metal barrel band and their metal front sight!! Time to do the happy dance. :lol:

BTW, I suggested starting with the Youth Model H001Y because it's cheaper than starting with a Large Loop Lever Model H001L which also has a 16" bbl ($22 cheaper at Bud's Guns). With the 'Y', you change the loop ($50 from Henry) and with the 'L' you change the stock which is also $50 from Henry.

For those of you who aren't comfortable taking apart your Henry, I'd suggest you spend the extra few bucks and get the H001L because it only requires removing a single machine screw to remove the stock to switch it for the shorter Youth version.
Steve
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Steve, is there enough "meat" in the receiver cover of the Henry to drill and tap for a standard side mount Williams FP?
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

graham1 wrote:
Same situation here. Great little rifle! I'm about 5'11" and it fits me and my 7 year old, and everyone in between. Nice price on them as well.
I'm in full agreement. My grandkids love this little levergun. It is smooth and easy to operate and plenty accurate enough to make all the bunnies tremble. Heap good gun. :D
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

Nemhed,

Yes there is. That is precisely what I did to mine. I used a small dremel wheel to take the ends of the screws down a tad inside the receiver with the sight mounted, but don't know whether I needed to or not.

I replaced the front sight too. Cut the plastic blade off and left the plastic barrel band in place. Then I mounted a Marlin from sight assembly to the barrel using only one of the two mounting holes using the existing Henry mounting screw, and, off to the races!!!

It's the perfect combination of light, fast handling, and the smoothest action there is. The trigger is just wonderful after a couple thousand rounds. The final bonus, it's a tack driver.
de k8bor

Dave
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I didn't touch the 6x32 screws that came with the sight and they work fine. Also, I just used the thinner metal Henry sight/bbl band I got from them for free. It works great.
Steve