OT: Cat Owners Are Cleverer - It is Official

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Cat Owners Are Cleverer - It is Official

Post by J Miller »

Cat Owners Are Cleverer - It is Official
By D J Bromley
For a long time now the relative merits of owning a cat or a dog have been argued. It has been suggested that because dogs can be trained and will give total loyalty to their owners they are the superior pet. Whilst it is a fact that there are no examples of cats doing a Greyfriars Bobby and sitting on their masters' grave for months they do have their strong points.

Providing you feed and cosset a cat and provide for its every need it will lie, sleep and sit around your home thereby giving it that touch of class it would otherwise lack. As far as a cat is concerned if you are silly enough to throw a stick or a ball you can jolly well go and fetch it back yourself. You have to admit there is some logic in that argument. Logic is something that a cat owner would appreciate because a recent study carried out at the University of Bristol in the UK has come up with some interesting findings.

Without being able to suggest why the learned professors of Bristol have discovered that cat owners tend to have better academic qualifications than dog owners. The study also found out that a quarter of the households owner cats while surprisingly a third owned a dog They also discovered that the number of pet cats and dogs in the UK had risen by 60% in the last 20 years.

The question still needs to be answered as to why cat owners on average tend to be better academically qualified than their dog owning counterparts? One suggestion is that the better qualified tend to work longer hours and therefore would not have the spare time needed to take proper care of a dog. (Big plus for cats, they do not need taking for a walk or have someone following them with a pooper scooper).

A more likely suggestion is that the cat being the far more intelligent animal will tend to seek out more intelligent owners. I do think that this is possibly a more likely explanation because the cat knows one thing from birth. Owners are designed to be trained and wrapped around the cat's paw. If the cat has an intelligent owner this represents a real challenge that the cat will enjoy. If on the other hand if it is too easy the game is no fun.

If there is one thing a cat likes it is a challenge, providing of course it is not too strenuous.

J :mrgreen: e
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: Cat Owners Are Cleverer - It is Official

Post by wecsoger »

Yeah, but dog owners (as a general rule) are friendlier. (grin)

I got a couple of both.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I don't want to start anything here but ....................... cat owners are sissies! :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

It could be that men who own cats seem to be more educated because they, like the animal that they own, are sometimes referred to as puzzies. That is not to say that because a man is educated that he is a puzzy. Far from it. It is not a cause and effect proposition. I know several manly men who are educated, but I know of no sissies that are not. It seems that every sissy boy goes off to college, but only a small percentage of real men do. They usually go to work right after high school. Again, being highly educated does not make a man a puzzy. We have many educated men in our nation, but again also, every sissy boy has a good education. Therefore, that might explain why more educated people would own such an animal that stands in a box and defecates over the side onto the floor, sheds hair into the air, and claws up the furniture.

Also, I suspect that Mr. DJ Bromley has seen one up close.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

With a dog you get what you put in to it-in other words you train it you are rewarded with good behavior and loyalty.Cats are just there no time investment and let's get serious, saving poop because the animal/owner is to lazy to go outside!The wife has cats and a litter box you just have to pick your battles :roll:
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

According to this study, what does five guard dogs and three barn cats,... make me?

:lol: 8) :lol:
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

76/444 wrote:According to this study, what does five guard dogs and three barn cats,... make me?

Confused, secure in your manhood, but open to experimentation.

Jeff
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

76/444 wrote:According to this study, what does five guard dogs and three barn cats,... make me?
Yep. Me too, except we have 14 Yorkies and they have the run of the house. Our half dozen cats stay in the barn.

Man, you gotta see what happens around here when a cat tries to sneak in the house. Those dogs have no mercy on 'em. :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

OK, Joe, since you have cats and you're therefore so dang smart and all, is a kitty cat's house spelled "cat house" or "cathouse?" I'm a dog owner so I don't have a clue, and moreover I think I'm in the proverbial "doghouse!" for being a stupid dog owner! I bet the kids on that "Smarter than a 5th Grader" show could answer my question, though, and tell us all the difference!!! :lol:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

mod71alaska,

I've never been really great at spelling. Cathouse or cat house? Well my spell check says cathouse is wrong and cat house is right.
So I'll defer to it.

All I know is I've had cats since I was 5 with a dog here and there. And I can tell you dogs are a LOT of trouble. It's easier to clean a cat box than to take phydeaux for a walk and carry a pooper scooper and baggie. :twisted:

Of course if I lived out on a farm then things might probably be different.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Jeff Quinn wrote:

Confused, secure in your manhood, but open to experimentation.

Jeff

:lol: I wish you would have a long heart to heart with my wife!!! :lol:

:lol: You understand me more than she does!! :lol:
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Sixgun wrote:
Yep. Me too, except we have 14 Yorkies and they have the run of the house. Our half dozen cats stay in the barn.

Man, you gotta see what happens around here when a cat tries to sneak in the house. Those dogs have no mercy on 'em. :D

All mine get along like good boys and girls,.. as long as I am within eye shot!!

I lose most of my kittens when they are weaned and cruising around at night. And not one of my dogs owns up to the dirty deed , either!! :lol:
Last edited by 76/444 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

J Miller wrote:mod71alaska,

I've never been really great at spelling. Cathouse or cat house? Well my spell check says cathouse is wrong and cat house is right.
So I'll defer to it.

All I know is I've had cats since I was 5 with a dog here and there. And I can tell you dogs are a LOT of trouble. It's easier to clean a cat box than to take phydeaux for a walk and carry a pooper scooper and baggie. :twisted:

Of course if I lived out on a farm then things might probably be different.

Joe

:shock: PICK UP WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

You got to move in to the country guy. You can't see all the dog droppings for the horse, goat and chicken left overs!! :lol:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Knew it all along! :D

Seriously though, most men I know who don't like cats don't like them because they will not obey. They just have a serious problem with a pet that doesn't do what it is told, like a dog will.

I figure it was just good training for marriage! :shock:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I have had cats and dogs off and on over the years. I must say that while cats can be smart my current batch are retarded not to say I haven't had retarded dogs but you can cover it up with good training a dumb cat is just SOL. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JReed wrote:I have had cats and dogs off and on over the years. I must say that while cats can be smart my current batch are retarded not to say I haven't had retarded dogs but you can cover it up with good training a dumb cat is just SOL. :D
Actually... I have seen some pretty dumb cats, but often that is a result of inbreeding. Seriously! Another side effect of that is six digits on their paws.

Conversely, I've trained my current cat, plus two others, to sit and shake on command. It can be done if you get them early enough, are patient, and they are smart ones.

Don't get me wrong, I like dogs too. As long as they are not overgrown rodents!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Both can make really great pets!
I won't say which is better cause that is up to each owner's prefrence.
It's really funny when you have both kitty and pups that were raised together.
Back about 15 years ago we had a pair of red Doberman's and a BIG orange tabby Cat.(Max)
Got all three at same time and all were very young.
That cat loved my wife so much it wasn't even funny(much more than me?? :cry: )
Anyway the people we got Max from when he was a kitty had him declawed on the front paws???
But he would BITE! I mean just like a little dog would.If I was out of town, according to my wife,this cat would patrol the inside of the house and growl and hiss at any noise.He also would sit and guard at the bow window.
Wife said the Dobe's would just lay on the rug and sleep! :lol:
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

I do have to confess that I've probably been responsible for dragging home more pets including cats then the wife. My preferance is they go outside to live however one of the refugees I brought home is not an outside cat,I usually refer to her as football or second hand lion not her name.Looks like a football waddling down the hallway.My female weiner dog thinks all cats belong to her except one , the neighbor's cat hates that one.Know when it steps on her property and will give chase till it leaves.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Dogs have masters, cats have STAFF!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Gun Smith wrote:Dogs have masters, cats have STAFF!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Old Savage wrote:I don't want to start anything here but ....................... cat owners are sissies! :D
I own two cats, you fat ***! J Miller started this as a civil post about pets, and you take up insulting some folks based upon their pet ownership, on an otherwise respectful website. You started by saying you didn't want to "start anything here" then commenced with namecalling. I take it you don't own a cat, so how do you know enough to make a generalization whether cat owners are sissies or not?
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have had several cats that lived at my house over the years.
I have never OWNED a cat.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

jlchucker wrote:
Old Savage wrote:I don't want to start anything here but ....................... cat owners are sissies! :D
I own two cats, you fat ***! J Miller started this as a civil post about pets, and you take up insulting some folks based upon their pet ownership, on an otherwise respectful website. You started by saying you didn't want to "start anything here" then commenced with namecalling. I take it you don't own a cat, so how do you know enough to make a generalization whether cat owners are sissies or not?

jlchucker,

Guy, I can assure you O.S. was just kidding, and certainly did not want to insult anyone here.
But everyone on here is trying very hard not to turn around and insult someone back if they take it that way.

The Moderator's are really being over worked because of all this type drama and most of us Forum members have agreed that to keep this Forum going well "let's please try and keep it Civil"

It would have been much better to either say nothing or just say somthing like O.S. I really hope you were just kidding because I kinda took that personelly.
I can absolutely assure you O.S. was just kidding and respects everyone on here.PM him and talk it over and you will see he is a great guy. Remember this type drama is hurting the Forum and causing the Mod's a lot of grief.

With respect------Madman
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

jlchucker wrote:

Your kidding right?

First off,... if you have no sense of humor, LOOK AT THE SMILEY!!! :lol:

Second,... if you are a cat owner, and took this personally,... you might wish to consider that you may be revealing more than you should!

If the shoe don't fit, guy,... don't put it on. 8)
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

We have a 20# + yellow ( golden really ) and white neutered male cat that I coaxed inside the house about 8 years ago. His name is Charlie. If you watch him and note his body language he is a better watch dog than most dogs I've owned. If anybody or any animal comes around the house he goes full alert. If they are not to his liking he starts a low guttural growling that gets the attention of every other cat in the house.
By watching him and the others I know when the mail man has snuck through, or when there's a dog nosing around outside, or even when there's a hawk ( remember my post on the hawk ) outside.

Concerning OS comment, it's a joke, don't be offended about it.

Joe
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

A farmer or rancher!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I am an equal opportunity pet owner. the tally for me is 4 cats, 4 dogs a horse, and a passel of ducks and geese (they're pets when they start running toward you when you throw food on the ground, and you dont view them as dinner anymore :lol: )

I would say by far the ducks and geese are the lowest maintenance, followed by the horse, then the dogs. Cats for me are high maintenance ---- not just the litter boxes, but the sweeping, dusting and everything else -- not to mention the throwing up occasionally, occasionally missing the litter box and other things cats tend to do.

Its fun for me though, cant imagine life without any of 'em now :D
----- Doug
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

J Miller wrote:We have a 20# + yellow ( golden really ) and white neutered male cat that I coaxed inside the house about 8 years ago. His name is Charlie. If you watch him and note his body language he is a better watch dog than most dogs I've owned. If anybody or any animal comes around the house he goes full alert. If they are not to his liking he starts a low guttural growling that gets the attention of every other cat in the house.
By watching him and the others I know when the mail man has snuck through, or when there's a dog nosing around outside, or even when there's a hawk ( remember my post on the hawk ) outside.

Concerning OS comment, it's a joke, don't be offended about it.

Joe

Seems like I was once educated about an ancient feline breed that served as a warning system for ancient Egyptians,.... anybody have more?
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Got to say from our own experience at least for us, cats are easier than dogs as far as proper upkeep.
But I love both and they both are great pet's!
Right now our 3.5 month old yellow lab is like raising a child :lol:
Have never seen a pup with this much energy. 40lbs of pure crazy energy.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

jlchucker wrote:

Wow. :shock:

This is a graduate thesis on a stick...

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

College degree, enough hours that if I would have stuck with just one course of study that I could have had a Ph.D., and never owned a cat. I like dogs, and while I don't dislike cats, I don't actually like them either. Does it matter? Not really. I would bet that 86er would be a dog person. Anyone want to bet against me?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Sorry jl - I'll have to be more obvious in my humor when I try to get a rise out of J Miller. :D :D :D :D :roll: :wink: :lol:

He and I have had many private dealings and by now he is not about to be drawn out by any attempt that is so simplistic on my part.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Actually - I rather like some cats.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

mescalero1 wrote:I have had several cats that lived at my house over the years.
I have never OWNED a cat.
Well said! :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

jlchucker wrote:

Just playful banter. Kind of like when I and others call one another enablers. Wait, that's the truth! :shock:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old Savage wrote:Actually - I rather like some cats.

ME TOO!

She's about to bust in all the right places!!! :lol:
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

We have 3. I never thought of myself as a cat person, but when I got together with my wife she got me to agree to having a cat. one gray female tabby (who is vicious and likely insane) a male siamese and an orange tabby who are both very lovable.

on the practical side of things, they are more convenient to own than dogs as they can take care of themselves while you're at work or out of town for a few days. If you don't own a home, it seems a little easier to find landlords who will allow cats and not dogs. Also, since we started keeping cats I have never woken up to find rodent poop on the kitchen counters. Watching the three of them co-ordinate a rodent hunt is really something to see. I appreciate the duality of a cat. The same animal that is curling up in your lap and acting cute one minute will be snapping the head off a hapless garter snake or mole in the basement the next minute (leaky foundation).
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Jason_W wrote: I appreciate the duality of a cat.
Kind of like owning a small tiger! :D :D :D
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

The cat of the house is the proud owner of 4 pet humans. She initiates playing fetch and will bring back sticks, shoelaces etc that you throw for her, Rules the roost no less. Bloody thing also wakes me up at 3.30am on weekends as she's used to me getting up for work Monday to Friday and feeding her then.

Animals are way smarter than us - look at all the effort Fishermen put into trying to outsmart an animal with a brain the size of a pea

regards Jacko
Last edited by Jacko on Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

76/444 wrote: If the shoe don't fit, guy,... don't put it on. 8)
Or high heeled pump if you talking about cat owners ;)
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have a dog and three cats and are fond of them all. Cats are good people!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Jacko wrote:...Animals are way smarter than us - look at all the effort Fishermen put into trying to outsmart an animal with a brain the size of a pea...
...and then throws it back into the water!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Cats can be pretty clever too...

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

...and cats are useful!
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

JB wrote:
76/444 wrote: If the shoe don't fit, guy,... don't put it on. 8)
Or high heeled pump if you talking about cat owners ;)

Man,... some of you guys just don't let up!

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Just jealous. Some are not man enough to own a cat! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Just jealous. Some are not man enough to own a cat! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What does that make me?
I live with ten of them, 11 if you count my wife.

J :lol: e
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

J Miller wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:Just jealous. Some are not man enough to own a cat! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What does that make me?

:lol: That makes you well stocked up on Tamale mix'ns!! :lol:

:lol: Not count'n the wife, though! :lol:

:lol: just kid'n, just kid'n,.... look, see, smileys everywhere :lol:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Your good men, and I am proud to know ya! :mrgreen:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

76/444 wrote:
J Miller wrote:
What does that make me?

:lol: That makes you well stocked up on Tamale mix'ns!! :lol:

:lol: Not count'n the wife, though! :lol:

:lol: just kid'n, just kid'n,.... look, see, smileys everywhere :lol:
Yep, I see the smileys.
Slight thread drift. When I lived in AZ I frequented a gun shop who's owner was a guide for mountain lion hunts. I asked him once what they did with the meat. He said it was usually eaten.
Well OK then it's not wasted. But it was all I could do to not toss my cookies right there. So ifn you want tamale makins go pop a couger.

Yuck, I just can't hunt a cat. Self defense, putting down a sick animal, hunting down a livestock killer; yes. Hunt them for sport. Ugh.... no.

Now back to our regular scheduled cat thread.

Joe