Recent hunt with Henry 30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Recent hunt with Henry 30-30

Post by t.r. »

Last weekend I hunted at Double D Ranch in southern Ohio. It's steep country and heavily wooded. Ranch size is approx 200+ acres not counting the steep ravines.

Saturday I hunted from a ground blind for many hours but did not observe the herd of red deer. Sunday morning I was assigned a different location in the forest. At about 9:30 AM the herd crossed a ravine approx 300 yards away and bedded down in direct sunlight on a steeply sloped hillside. Did I mention it was very c-c-cold? After an hour, it was obvious the red deer were not moving so I stalked as quietly and slowly as I could. But when about 150 yards away, I was spotted and the animals spooked and trotted over the ridge.

My guide and I discussed options. We split up. I posted behind a colossal hickory tree while he circled around to spook the herd toward my position. I heard them approaching through the forest and the tension was exquisite!! My stag led the herd at a fast run at approx 85 yards. I swung the carbine and just as the sights were even with his mahogany mane I squeezed the trigger. But the stag showed no sign of being hit. The action was quickly levered and another shot was fired. This slowed the animal considerably and turned directly toward me as I levered the Henry and fired again. The great stag stumbled and toppled over.

During skinning we observed where the shots had struck. First two impacted behind the shoulder and struck within 2 inches of each other. These bullets completely destroyed the chest organs and broke through ribs to vanish into the snow. The third shot struck center of chest and penetrated the length of the body and we found it in the hip area. This bullet appears very much like a magazine ad photo. My guide took most of these photos. What a memory.

The meals and lodging at Double D Ranch are well above average. Nina, the cook, fixed lasagna one evening featuring ground elk venison and it was truly outstanding! Fresh cake, brownies, and cookies were always available.

Hunting exotic animals (non-native to North America) is not for every hunter. But I had a ball and brought home much meat, a fine trophy, and a great memory!

Red deer are European cousins to North American elk. Males are called stags and females are known as hinds. Live weight of this stag is estimated at approx 350 lbs or so. Larger than a huge mountain muley! But my 170 grain bullets did not bounce off!

This Henry 30-30 is a KEEPER!

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Recent hunt with Henry 30-30

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Nice shootin. :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

Wow! nice trophy and very good shooting!!! i'd be mighty proud of that trophy too.. We dont hear too much about henry centerfire rifles but if they are as nice as the rimfires i wouldnt hesitate one second to buy one.

If you dont mind me asking, how much meat did you end up with ???
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Great hunt.
ED
Yer never too old
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I really like that Henry rifle! Red Deer is some of the best tasting game meat there is. Congratulations!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Congratulations! Nice experience for some good memories.
Old Law Dawg
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

A fine trophy and a fine rifle. Congrats!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

t.r.,

Congratulations on the fine stag. This is the first hunt report I've read of the Henry rifle being used. I'm glad it worked as it was supposed to.
And, and, and, dare I look again .... factory iron sights, no carrying handle ... Wow. Good shooting there.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Thet looks skookum to me, fer sure ! Congrats !

BTW - How did you like the .22-style mag loading feature, and was it practical for your hunt ?

Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Exciting hunt and good shooting!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

"I heard them approaching through the forest and the tension was exquisite!!"

That line used by "t.r." to describe his excitement sums it up for many hunts I have been on.

Yes, the .30-30 is a very capable round. It'll take any animal on the North American Continent.

I've been eyeballing one of the Henry .30-30s at my local gun shop. I just may pick it up this spring.
ED
Yer never too old
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thats just great :D Good report and good shooting, I like your methods as in "just keep shooting" till the job was done.

Big ain't they, did you have fun dragging him out? This feller was heavy!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Answers to questions:

The meat is still chilling under ice in 3 large coolers. I'll butcher on 17th and share the meat count.

The Henry is designed to accpet Marlin 336 mounts. Eventually, I'll order two piece bases from Millett and mount a 2X-7X scope by Simmons.

The factory iron sights are semi-buckhorn just like my Dad's older 300 Savage. I can hit a gallon jug at 100 yards with steady rest. Broadside running shot at 85 yards is fairly simple if one practises throughout the year. This is not a legitimate accurasy report; simply sharng what I've experienced with the Henry.

The (factory) Henry trigger is quite outstanding. Easily comparible to a professional custom trigger job.

I hunted with Winchester Power Point ammo featuring 170 grain softnose. Always delivers both quick expansion and deep pentration.

SUGGESTION
Make a deal with your local shop to buy a Henry 30-30 on layaway. Mine cost $525. plus tax but I spread payments over 6 months. No interest or extra charges, either.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Guns & Ammo would have you convinced you need a .700 Thermonuclear Self-Guiding Super Ultra Massively Overkill Magnum Plus P Plus or you wouldn't have even had a chance. :mrgreen:

It's not always a one shot kill, and a .30-30 is "enough" for most things out there. Good job on that deer.
Halfbreed
Levergunner

Post by Halfbreed »

Does the Henry have a tang safety or a hammer block safety or just a good old fashioned and much preferred halfcock?
I don't think I'd have any problem with the Henry's loading system via magazine tube. For a hunting gun 6 rounds at a time more than adequate.
Last edited by Halfbreed on Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For all the things that were written aforetime were written for our instruction, that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope. Romans 15:4
All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness. 2Timothy 3:16
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Awesome trophy TR ! Actually makes me look at that Henry centerfire in a whole new light too :D I have heard they deliver very good accuracy for a lever gun also.
----- Doug
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Big Grin!!!! :mrgreen:
Sounds like a great time.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Great report and pictures! 8)
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Excellent Job, thanks for the details.
It is not the critic who counts
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

t.r. or anyone with a Henry 30-30,

Could I impose on you to take a close up pic of the inner magazine tube latching mechanism? Just curious how it's set up.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Excellent report. Well done
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

great information and nice stag!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a Henry .22lr, and if the big guns are anywhere near as slick, then they would be great guns. Looks like a great hunt.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

c-c-cool
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"