Old photo of friend's grandparents with question.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Old photo of friend's grandparents with question.

Post by Tycer »

This is a photo of my friend's grandparents.
Any of you forensic photo buffs care to make any insightful discoveries about the when where whys?
Specifically, what is the ribbon he's wearing?

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: Old photo of friend's grandparents with question.

Post by Pisgah »

Hard to be sure from the photo, but I have seen pictures of men wearing similar ribbons indicating GAR (Grand Army of the Republic) membership -- the veteran's oranization for Union vets of the Civil War. Really, just a guess. But the date, if correct, and the man's apparent age, make that seem possible. 53 years after the war's end he would likely be in his 70's.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I have a ribborn very similar to the one in the picture that my Grandfather (born in 1873) wore to show his service in the Spanish American War.

Just as a matter of interest, I also have his Veteran's Administration ID Card that he had for wounds he received during the Spanish American War.

That's a great picture.
ED
Yer never too old
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Great picture,and I bet Grandma could really give You the "works" if one got out of line. :) .
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think they are right about the ribbon, it appears to be a veteran's decoration of some sort.

HOWEVER, what interested the genealogist in me is Mrs. Williams' appearance. Where are they from? She would appear to be mixed race, possibly Native American and/or African American. While it is true that people who work outside would take on a permanent and very deep tan. You should see some photos of MY grandmother. However, she DID have some NA background (believed to be two different great or 2x great grandmothers). As she aged and spent more and more time indoors she did get a much lighter skin tone but she was still darker than I am.

The board and batten building in the background appears to be a store because of the crates on the porch. Those clothes would likely be their Sunday best. I'm betting he's a farmer.

So, how close are we?

BTW, I can do a bit of research if your friend would like.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Modoc ED wrote:I have a ribborn very similar to the one in the picture that my Grandfather (born in 1873) wore to show his service in the Spanish American War.

Just as a matter of interest, I also have his Veteran's Administration ID Card that he had for wounds he received during the Spanish American War.

That's a great picture.
That's my guess too. They are probably only in their late '40's or early '50's as people aged much quicker back then. Both their jowls are not even hang'n yet.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Hobie wrote:I think they are right about the ribbon, it appears to be a veteran's decoration of some sort.

HOWEVER, what interested the genealogist in me is Mrs. Williams' appearance. Where are they from? She would appear to be mixed race, possibly Native American and/or African American. While it is true that people who work outside would take on a permanent and very deep tan. You should see some photos of MY grandmother. However, she DID have some NA background (believed to be two different great or 2x great grandmothers). As she aged and spent more and more time indoors she did get a much lighter skin tone but she was still darker than I am.

The board and batten building in the background appears to be a store because of the crates on the porch. Those clothes would likely be their Sunday best. I'm betting he's a farmer.

So, how close are we?

Hi this is Susan, Tycer's friend. Thanks everyone for your thoughts - very exciting! I would love for you to do some research. They were my great grandparents from eastern Tennessee, Martha and Washington Williams. My family tree is buried in eastern Tennessee - I have very little info beyond this. I'm going to do a DNA test one of these days to trace it back.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Maybe she won first prize with him at the county fair?? :D :D
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Only read pisgahs reply and fully agree!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

No way in their 40s or 50s OTH, I say mid 70s. I do agree people did age faster, but not THAT faster? I know my grandma looked like geronimo though!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I don't know there BoogerBill, he has an awful lot of still blonde hair and she still has a waist....just my thoughts. Late '40's to mid '50's is still my contention. Wonder if they are from the Gatlinburg area? Even though their name is Williams, there was a lot of Wilhems in the area back in the 1870's.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Tycer wrote:
Hobie wrote:I think they are right about the ribbon, it appears to be a veteran's decoration of some sort.

So, how close are we?

Hi this is Susan, Tycer's friend. Thanks everyone for your thoughts - very exciting! I would love for you to do some research. They were my great grandparents from eastern Tennessee, Martha and Washington Williams. My family tree is buried in eastern Tennessee - I have very little info beyond this. I'm going to do a DNA test one of these days to trace it back.
Susan,

Please PM or e-mail me with some more info. I will need it to verify data I find. Basically I need DOB and full name as well as other names used for your parents, grand-parents, etc in that line. Just what you know is fine. Maiden names are important! Meanwhile, I'll start a tree. When you e-mail me I'll "invite" to so that you can visit it. :wink: ANY family stories as to where they were or came from, for certain or not, are helpful.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson