.357 Brass: Starline or Winchester?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

.357 Brass: Starline or Winchester?

Post by Otto »

I am guessing most will say Starline. Am I right?
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
DennisD

Re: .357 Brass: Starline or Winchester?

Post by DennisD »

My Winchester brass came from my once fired factory ammo and my Starline was bought new. I really haven't noticed a difference. Main thing is to sort and batch IMO.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

Otto wrote:I am guessing most will say Starline. Am I right?
NOT NECESSARILY, WHY ??
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Long before there was a Starline brass, Winchester brass has always been my choice.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I recently purchased a bag of Winchester new factory brass in 44 magnum. When I went to reload it about 1/2 of the primer pockets were so loose you could seat a primer with your thumb and tap the case on the bench to deprime. I sent samples and a letter to W/W and the BRASS never arrived but the letter did. I also got a $20 gift certificate. I sent more of the bad brass to corporate headquarters and to the fellow who sent me the cupon and NONE of that brass arrived either. "Sorry we are unable to verify your problem". I still have samples if anyone doubts the facts. W/W still has not admitted that they EVER had any bad brass.

STARLINE
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I like both equally and use both.
NRA Life Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I use either without reservation.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I purchase Starline brass in most calibers, especially .45-90 cases that can be used to form other caliber cartridge cases. Starline is better constructed, lasts longer and has uniform primer pockets. This important feature is not always the case with Rem or W brass.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Irascible
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Irascible »

Recently, I have noticed terrible burrs on flash holes of Winchester 44 special, Remington 44 magnum and Remington 357 brass. Not all. but some in each batch. These were tall enough that I felt them when they were struck by the knurled nut which holds the decapping pin. The 357 Rem brass was the worse with almost all of the brass having tall burrs around the flash holes. I have never seen any burrs on the Starline brass. Take a look inside, Starline has a much nicer system of making flash holes. Would the accuracy suffer in a revolver? I doubt it, but having something made right gives me that warm fuzzy feeling. It all works, but if I had to buy new I would buy Starline. Barring that, I would be prepared to de-burr flash holes.
Last edited by Irascible on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be - Abe Lincoln
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Irascible wrote:...having something made right gives me that warm fuzzy feeling.
That happens to me if I buy the cheaper brand of Depends... :oops: :roll: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I've got between 500-600 WW brass, most of it was nickel factory ammo. I've heard Starline is top brass but I had a couple hundred old WW brass given to me when I first bought the rifle and just haven't bothered to change.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Hobie wrote:I use either without reservation.
+1
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
woods-walker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by woods-walker »

I use both as well. Mostly in lever actions. No problems.
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

I use both in many calibers and would use either without hesitation. Its whats available at the time, if its Starline then so be it, if its Win then thats OK too. Neither brand has let me down in the 357mag.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I've tried both manufacturers in 357mag and 10mm brass cases with no problems from either. Haven't tried either in nickel plated though.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Anytime I need brass, Starline is the first place I look. There are a couple of professional gun guys, that credit the strength of Starline brass for saving their bacon, and these are a couple of guys I respect. My own experience with the brass is top shelf....good quality product, reasonable price, good delivery time. I usually buy 500 cases at a time.
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I don't if you guys have been trying to buy the stuff lately, but Midway, Buffalo Arms, Cheaper than Dirt, everybody was out of 357 brass.
Even the Starline website was out of brass. Couldn't even find once-fired brass.
The good news is, Buffalo just filled by back-order for Starline 357 brass.
Irascible
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Irascible »

Yes it's trickleing in. Midway just filled my back order of 357 brass. They do have a lot of the less popular though 40-65, 38-55, 44 russian, etc
Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be - Abe Lincoln
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I've used Winchester brass for years, but recently have starting using Starline brass in 38-55, 44 Russian, and 45 Schofield. I really like it, but I'm not sure I can say why.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

Starline in .44 Mag, .45 Colt, .480 Ruger, .45-70. Buy case lots of 500 for consistency and long time supply. This brass is just done right and I have yet to have a case fail, or be defective out of the box. They must have eagle-eyed inspectors.

Winchester in rifle calibers .348 Winchester, .243 WSSM and .375 Winchester (what else is there?), and most others, except SSA in 6mm PPC.

Lapua or Nosler in 6.5-284.

Winchester's latest lots of .204 Ruger have been outstanding (and cheap). same for .223 Remington (buy these in 500 or 1k lots). Hornady brass costs twice as much and wasn't any better - had to send early .204 batch back for neck splits and shoulder dents.

You can spend more, but Winchester is so inexpensive a few culls doesn't put a damper on the savings.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have used both and for my limited experience, they both have been good. I do notice that the Starline works easier and they have lasted longer. Most of the Winchester is no good due to splits in the case mouth after about 10 reloadings and the Starline is now on its 20th and still going. I may be pushing the Starline too long, but at moderate loads it is lasting around twice as long without any signs of trouble. My "Barn Burner" loads get the brass retired at 6 loadings no matter what.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

It sounds like Starline has changed some from when I first tried it. I bought several hundred rounds of 45 Colt brass when it first came out, and thought it was thick, hard brass, and rather hard to work compared to Rem and Win brass. I've mostly avoided it since then for that reason.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?