Proper levergun shooting form

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KentuckyLevrgunr
Levergunner

Proper levergun shooting form

Post by KentuckyLevrgunr »

I'd imagine most all of us have heard that rifles with two piece stocks shoot more consistently when the forearm is firmly grasped. The only problem I have with this is that I was taught to shoot a rifle in the old military style, with my supporting hand as close to the trigger gaurd as possible. In your experience, does a lever action rifle shoot less accurately or to a different POI if the supporting hand is not on the forearm?
There's two kinds of lever action rifles - those designed by J.M. Browning, and those that are inferior.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Proper levergun shooting form

Post by J Miller »

I think I've shot my lever guns in about every way one can over the last 40+ years.

I've really found no great difference in firmly grasping the forearm or holding it up close to the trigger guard. I think in "my" case I use the forearm hold most.
Me and the Marlin.JPG
Kinda like this.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMHO, It's more important that the rifle be pulled firmly BACK into the shoulder with pressure at both the rear of the lever/loop and from the forearm - with NO part of the rifle touching anything except a part of the shooter's body (face/hands/shoulder).

They're built differently than a boltgun, and shouldn't be shot in the same manner.

shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I mostly grip the front of the frame where the forearm touches. With this I don't put any pressure or torque on the barrel. I have also put my left hand on a tree and supported as far up the barrel as possible by laying the mag tube on my thumb. I haven't noticed any change in accuracy.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

I pretty much have had the same results as above,... different positions did not result in change in accuracy. Bench rest is a whole other game,... but I don't bench shoot my levers. At the most I'll use shooting sticks out past 100 yds.

But I do find I am a little more consistent if I place my hand in the same place for every shot, when physically possible. Which is why I carved out that spot on my fore end. I also carved a little ledge to hook my thumb on,.. for a nice firm snug hold. Plus I like a thinner grip,... on my lever/trigger hand as well. 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 76/444 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

I cant find a difference no matter how i hold the rifle as far as accuracy goes just the ability to chamber another round might be affected.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I try not to touch the rifle at all. I use my psychic will to hold the gun in place. My hands are just a conduit to allow the force of my will to flow. I don't actually "aim" either. The force determines where my bullets fly. :mrgreen:

Whether I'm on the bench or in a field position, I try to get the same stock-weld and sight picture, with the but of the rifle securely in the pocket of my shoulder.

On the bench, I rest the receiver on the bag. In a field position, I use my forward hand as a support on the forearm of the rifle.

IMO, the consistency of the sight picture, wherever your hands may be, is the defining factor.

:)
Last edited by FWiedner on Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Extending the support arm, out enough to grasp the middle part of the forearm gives you better lateral control of the rifle, whatever the action type. You will find it easier to track moving targets, and it induces a better-balanced shooting stance.

The "close-in" off-hand support position is fine for .22 gallery competition, but mostly useless in the field.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Buck Elliott wrote:Extending the support arm, out enough to grasp the middle part of the forearm gives you better lateral control of the rifle, whatever the action type. You will find it easier to track moving targets, and it induces a better-balanced shooting stance.

The "close-in" off-hand support position is fine for .22 gallery competition, but mostly useless in the field.
Yep. I like the 'palm just in front of trigger guard' stance for the format target range, or to get a feel for a gun, but it isn't too useful for field conditions (potentially moving targets).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "