New puppy - PICS

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

New puppy - PICS

Post by mod71alaska »

Guys, I have my eye on a new puppy. Until 6 months ago I had enjoyed the wonderful eleven year companionship of either one or two retrievers. I've been feeling pretty lonely since. I haven't finally decided, yet, if I'm quite up for starting a new retriever, but I've come across a puppy that for some reason I've connected with. She's half lab and half golden retriever, the same as my previous (4) retrievers. I really like the lab/golden retriever mix. This puppy is the little one of her litter (and a little cheaper) but she has lots of spunk! I have to sell a rifle first, though. So I have reduced my Henry Golden Boy .22 to rock bottom on the Forum Classifieds. If you would take a look I'd really appreciate it. (Sale pending) http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=2360 Thanks, Victor mod71alaska@aol.com

Here's the retriever puppy I'm looking at. (Any name suggestions? I always have a terrible time naming dogs!)

These were my two retriever companions for so many years. Tess on the left also was the little one of her litter. Both Tess and Liesl were fantastic dogs and always up for an adventure...

...the adventure they had in mind that afternoon was a dog day afternoon snooze!
Last edited by mod71alaska on Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:11 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

I love Golden Retrievers and Labs. I have a Yellow Lab now named Daisy who is one of the best dogs I have ever had...except for the barking. As for a name, how about Maggie? Good luck on selling your Henry. That pup looks like a good one.
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I once had a very light colored yellow lab, named him BOOMER ... as in Boomer-rang. If you throw it out, it will come back <G>.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Precious?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
crawdaddyjim
Levergunner 2.0

Post by crawdaddyjim »

Well if you ask me I say he looks like a Henry. Or maybe Frenchy.
ImageImageImage
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

Looks like an "Annie" to me . Don't know why. :?:
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Victor;
Good to hear from you, but I do not need another .22. It is likely that someone does need it though.

PS beautiful .22. How do you take such great gun photos?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

When I look at the pic, I see "Jill".
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Pretty, pretty pup! Give her a good, old-fashioned girl's name. My Airedale
is named Bridget Griffin - "Bid" or "Biddie" for short. Both my other Airedales have had Irish names too; Ned Kelly, and Paddy O'Reilly. I'm sure your new little lady will grace that fine canoe for many a year to come. Long life to both of you!
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I'd name her GoLab Girl and for short call her Go!
Sure is a nice lookin' pup!
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

A hunting partner of mine has a yellow dog named Maize, or Maizie for her nickname. Being a Michigander, it kinda fit that way too. This potential pup of yours is sure pretty. :)

Regards,
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

How about "Blondie"? :D
GANJIRO

Re: New puppy and rifle for sale

Post by GANJIRO »

mod71alaska wrote:
Here's the puppy I'm looking at. (Any name suggestions? I always have a terrible time naming dogs!)
LEONA (lee-oh-nah) She has the color, spirit, and hopefully the hunting prowess of the real hunters of the pride the lioness. :wink:
She is adorable and will bring you many years of unmatched companionship and countless memories to come. :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Brundhilde :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

If you are selling the gun to get money to buy her, DON"T
I will give you the money,
Don't think I am altruistic,
That pup will look GOOD in that canoe,
Pup needs a good home
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Victor,
Good to hear from you. I've had two golden Labs. Wonderful dogs. I'm sure she'll be all you want in a new companion.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

We had a Golden named Daisy once upon a time. She was a wonderful dog. Always exciting to start off with a new pup. Best of luck. :)
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

How about 'Diana', as in Goddess of the Hunt?

That is a beautiful puppy!

- Tristan
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Call her Misty.

Man I love that canoe you've got there, you sure dont see them like that over here. Their all plastic now, cant even get fibreglass any more let alone a real classic.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Well, Victor - Since you're selling a Golden Boy to pay for her, how about naming her "Golden Girl" or "Goldie" for short ? (or maybe "Aura", as in "auric" ? :wink: )
Lloyd Smale
Levergunner

Post by Lloyd Smale »

thats a beautiful litte girl youve got there!!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Right now he looks like a Festus.

But he'll grow into a Sven.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sure is a cutie. Great pictures.

We had a two page list of names when we got our Great Dane last Spring. Finally settled on Lucy. Second place was Mercedes.

Go get that dog!

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I had a golden that looked just like that pup at one time, her name was Gabie
I have two black labs now, Sassy and Georgia.
Now go get that pup Victor :D
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

If you plan on hunting her a 1 syllable name is the only way to go.

Winnie

Oakley (Oak) for short
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Never name a dog anything that you are going to be embarrassed yelling down the street.

Cute pup! And I really like the canoe!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good looking pup, what about Teal?
Like the canoe by the way. Have the other dogs passed away? Where do they rest? Can you visit reg?
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

mescalero1... Thank you for your exceedingly generous offer, but of course I can't accept. Selling the Golden Boy actually only partially gets me to the $400 purchase price for the puppy. Needless to say, the puppy's purchase price is just the beginning of the expenses, too. Oh my, what am I getting myself into? How easily we forget...or we just don't ever want to know!...how expensive pets really are. I'll sell the GB and another lever gun to take care of the puppy, but I will have some leverguns left in my safe, too. Thank you again, kind Sir.

CRS... I wish I had the secret for taking great gun pics. I really don't have a clue. I pretty much point and click with a Canon digital camera, try to eliminate reflections by watching the angles, and then take a bunch of pics and hope for the best. I'm glad you like them because that must mean my ignorance is getting me by! I've been wondering.

Thanks to all you guys for the name suggestions. Nothing quite hits me like a hammer, yet, but as I said pet naming is really difficult for me. I probably need to get the puppy home first, and hopefully inspiration will strike. Assuming I sell the Golden Boy I'll be bringing her home in a week and a half. However, it's entirely possible that she'll be a year old and still called "little one" because I couldn't come up with a name!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Vic,
As I've never had a water retriever I can't relate. Is there any reason you favor the Lab cross over a pure bread of either kind? Just curious?

thanks,
Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

mod71alaska wrote:... but as I said pet naming is really difficult for me. I probably need to get the puppy home first, and hopefully inspiration will strike.
Starve yourself for a week, smoke some peyote, sit on a cliff in the blazing sun and sing a song.

Something will come to you.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Sir,
If you take her in that canoe & hunting she won't care what you call her
I just wanted to save from someone who would not appreciate her, but it seems you have made up your mind to get her, good for you
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

mod71alaska wrote:However, it's entirely possible that she'll be a year old and still called "little one" because I couldn't come up with a name!
Nothing wrong with that! My two youngest cats are brother and sister. They're names are Tomcat and Little Sister because that's how I kept them separate when they started coming around. Someone would ask "Which is which?" and I'd say "That's the tomcat and this one is his little sister.".

8 years later they still answer to those names... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I can't take it anymore! I'll buy it. You know, for the past 15 years I've hunted elk with a scoped Tikka 7mm Rem Mag. Then about a year and a half ago I find this site. Shot this year's elk with a Marlin 45-70 and bought my first Winchester from a forum member a few months back. My youngest son saw the picture and really likes it so..........Sold if it's still available. I'll e-mail you.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Worked on a ranch in CA for a while. We had two black & white barn cats. They were cautious creatures, seldom glimpsed, but almost always together. They were called "Police Car" and "Ambulance"! :D I never knew which was which! :roll: Good luck on the naming ritual.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

mod71alaska, For some reason I my home computer won't let me send out an e-mail so I PM'd you. I can receive e-mail but my outlook express is messed up.
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

Tell us about that canoe! I've got a serious canoe fetish.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Senior Levergunner

single syllable name

Post by 2571 »

Guy's right about a short name if dog to be trained.

SPIKE would be appropriate for such a gentle- looking dog.

Good luck with both dog & Henry!
twhman
Levergunner

My 2 cents

Post by twhman »

Love that canoe - looks like your dogs have a great life.

I like Goldie or just Gold for her name since you sold your golden to finance the purchase.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

DerekR wrote:Tell us about that canoe! I've got a serious canoe fetish.
Dittos! :lol: Canoes and dogs (hell, boats and dogs), that's a wonderful life right there!

PS Dogs aren't expensive, it is a life wasted without a dog that's expensive. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Got to take Tia for her booster jab in feb-£40 or $80 to you :roll:
She is more than worth it though, today she was trying to dig a nicked squirrel out of a rabbit hole
[img][img]http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o65/ ... ute001.jpg[/img]
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bullet Bob

Post by Bullet Bob »

This is Abby at 8 months old; I wanted to name her Dixie, but in the "New South" I'm forced to live in at the moment (not much longer!), it would have been politically incorrect (don't ask). So anyway, feel free to use Dixie!

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

We decided on "Remington" (aka Rem-dog), for this little guy.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Dogs, they do soften us up some :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

JKBREA....I did not receive either your PM or email. Standby and I'll get back to you by email. I'd like to see your son get the Golden Boy.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My two golden retrievers were named, "Gretchan" for the female and "Brutus" for the male. Both names fit the dogs. Gretchan was a beautiful long hair and Brutus was just that; big and strong.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Rusty... I like the lab/golden retriever mix primarily because of past dogs I've owned of this breeding combination. My experience is that the mix between AKC lab and golden retriever tends to produce a little more mellow retriever than either of the pure breds, and it also keeps the really nice traits of each breed. It's important to emphasize the word "tends" here, but that has been my experience. My previous 4 dogs all have been smart and easy to train and excellent working retrievers but without any hyperness, for example. I like a quiet, thoughtful, intuitive, and loving companion dog that is instinctively eager to retrieve, has a big heart, and is willing break ice for a retrieve if I ask it to. I've had really good luck with the lab/golden mix in achieving these qualities, especially with the females.

FWiedner...."Starve yourself for a week, smoke some peyote, sit on a cliff in the blazing sun and sing a song." Hey, I'll try your suggestion. Are you my source for the peyote?

DerekR....The canoe in the picture is an 18' Peterborough made in Peterborough, Canada. It's a handmade ceder/canvas and paddles like a dream. The only down side is it's weight. Regrettably, I sold the canoe because I no longer could lift it alone. Father Time marches on.

Pete44ru.... Come on, you know "Rem-dog" is really spelled "Rem Dawg!" Go Sox!!!

A Big Thanks to all who checked out my Golden Boy .22 on the Forum Classifieds. I have a sale pending.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks Vic,
I see a lot of people with mixed breeds that seem to do it on a regular basis that's why I was wondering. Sounds like there must be folks up there that have the breeding problems under control.
I always thought a Doberman-Rottweiller cross might be interesting. It's good to see people aren't always so critical of AKC breeding programs.

Thanks,
Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rroberts
Levergunner

Post by rroberts »

I go for Sunshine and you can call her Sunny. I am not sure I like the Rusty idea though. :wink:
... Rusty
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Call your new dog Paddle, it will go with the canoe or the memory of it!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Come on, you know "Rem-dog" is really spelled "Rem Dawg!" Go Sox!!! ]

AW, Come on, Victor ! And, here, I was trying ta keep politics outta this thread, too ! :mrgreen:

Besides, the Patriots are doing jes fine, Thank you ! (What a season, for Boston/New England sports fans)