re-sizing bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

re-sizing bullets

Post by El Chivo »

with recent developments, it looks like I won't have access to .359 bullets, I'll be restricted to what I can buy at the local store, which are 158 grain .358s.

I was looking at "lubrisizers" and dies on the Buffalo Arms site, but, is there a way to use the resizing dies with a standard press?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: re-sizing bullets

Post by fordwannabe »

Lee precisions sizer dies are used in a regular press and then lubed by the pan method or alox. I have never used this system although I have one set on order an they should be here monday. However many people over on castboolits seem to like them. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Post by msmith1228 »

I have several of the Lee,they work great. They will also make any size you want for about $30.00.

Mack
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

As Ford said . Also be advised that it is a very simple job to make the Lee dies any custom dimension that you may need . The Lee's really shine when you use a tumble lube boolit and then just mix them around gently in a container w/ the Alox . Got both the Lyman and the Lee push through dies and for many situations the Lee's work the best. As far as just tumble lubing a standard grease groove boolit....I haven't yet tried it however I do think that it will work as long as the velocities are kept reasonable.ATB
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

msmith1228 wrote:I have several of the Lee,they work great. They will also make any size you want for about $30.00.

Mack

+1 :)
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Me too. I have one at .432" so I can attach gas checks on my Ranch Dog .44 cal. boolits without sizing much for my over bore Puma.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Might be wrong but I never heard of any sizer that could turn a .358 into a .359. Generally they size things down. I'v heard of tools to "Bump" a bullet up in dia but have never seen one & dont know how uniform they might be.
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Glenn »

El Chivo,
I'm sure you're aware you can't "size up" those .358" bullets from the local store in a sizing die. They are made for squeezing them down. However :wink: you could use the Lee die to "bump" the bullets up to the die size if you can get a custom rod made that fits the bullet nose and is just smaller than the inside of the die. Run the bullet up into the die, drop the rod down onto the bullet and give it a whack with a rawhide mallet. The harder the bullets, the more force required to bump them. Lower the base ram and tap the bullet out the bottom of the die with the nose punch.
Glenn
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

thanks, that is what I was wanting to do - just buy bullets at the local store (since mail-order will be out) and press them. So it sounds like these dies press sideways, thinning and elongating a bullet. I need something to press down and fatten and shorten the bullet. Maybe I'm thinking of swaging.

Getting this 35 Rem to work for cast lead is getting so complicated, I may have to forget about it.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

Corbin and CH-4D make dies to bump up bullets. They wont be cheap but will do what you want to do. If its only bumping up a cast pill a few thou then one of them makes a set to fit a normal O frame press.