Thoughts on Ruger's "Mini" series

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Re: Thoughts on Ruger's "Mini" series

Post by MrMurphy »

They've always chased .mil/LE contracts with the Mini. Bermuda uses them for it's "troops", Ireland's Gardai uses them (Federal cops) as did the French Gendarmerie (the full auto AC556k). The Mini-14/20GB was the one model I actually wanted but they didn't build them for 20 years.

Most shooters will never put more than a few hundred rounds through a gun in their lifetime. Then you get guys like me who put over 1,000 a year through a single pistol easily (My Glock has in excess of 8,000 rounds through it, and most of my other guns get similar treatment).

The Mini caters to the first market. Nothing wrong with that.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Texas DPS used Minis for years, and the troopers of my acquaintance liked them. When my agency was researching which carbines to let us carry on duty, the only thing "wrong" to be found with Minis was that the op rod tended to break after 160,000 rounds, among the DPS Minis. One-hundred sixty thousand. How many range trips is that?

OK, so I have two Minis. One to shoot massive quantities of ammo, the other to shoot much less, which will be the carry/go-to Mini. If I ever break the one, which is unlikely to happen due to my age and budget, I will have the other to shoot until Ruger's excellent CS returns the first one.

Actually, yes, Texas DPS did just acquire Bushmasters to replace the Minis. Perhaps Bushmaster won the bid. Minis are not as cheap as the old days.

As I have said many times before, I have an HBAR for long-range shooting, and Minis for close-range utility/defense. IMHO, in each case the best .223/5.56 rifle for the job.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Here's the Ruger Mini you need - to heck with the wimpy .223 and not-quite-as-wimpy 7.62x39...!

Ruger .308 XGI = http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =158064380

It's a bit pricey, though... :shock:
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

I really like my mini-14. It shoots as accurately as I need it to, and mamma can handle it in case varmints show up when I'm not home.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

this one is mine... we were out trying to find what pulled my cow down earlier today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Wow... I'm tempted... Really...

IMO that's what the Mini was always meant to be.

But dang, a fella could build a hellava M1A for that money...

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.