375 H&H--why?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

375 H&H--why?

Post by getitdone1 »

Why would anyone want a rifle chambered for the 375 H&H cartridge? I really like it and for the following reasons.

1. The power. When it thumps your shoulder you know you are shooting a powerful gun. When you shoot it into soft, wet soil--as I did recently--and the dirt flies 30-40 feet all around--you know you are dealing with power. The dirt was piled in a ridge by farm implement and about 10 inches high. I blew a hole in the ridge--several times--about 1 foot wide and 10 inches deep. Using Speer 270 gr BT bullets. Surprisingly, small amount of dirt came back on me and the gun. Never seen dirt fly that far with any gun I've previously had.

2. The history. It is, perhaps, the most used all-around big bore used in Africa. A high percentage of professional hunters in Africa will tell you to bring a 375 if you bring only one gun and will be hunting all sizes of game. Peter Capstick and others who praise it so highly. I have videos of Capstick using it in Africa. His custom Mauser gun.

I never expect to hunt in Alaska or Africa but makes no difference. This cartridge is just plain fun to shoot--standing, that is. From the bench I use extra padding for my shoulder.

Currently have a Browning A-Bolt chambered for this cartridge but may get the new Safari Express Mod. 70 Winchester for a side by side comparison. This Browning is light for this cartridge, about 8 lbs minus scope, mts or ammo. The Winchester is supposed to weigh 9 lbs. That'll help some with the recoil but not with the carrying! See advantages to both. The short bolt handle throw of the A-Bolt but the famous positive extraction of the model 70. When you load the A-Bolt with this cartridge things are a little too small and crowded to my liking. Expect the model 70 will be better in this regard.

Wonder how many 375 owners in this group? Any hunting stories when using this cartridge?

Don
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 375 H&H--why?

Post by BrianSH »

Why the 375H&H?

Because there are some critters bigger than deer, and meaner than a sexed up moose!

- Brian
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

I bought my first .375 when I was 17! Back then you could only get the 285gr Grand slam and 235gr from Speer, Nozler had droped the cal back then but did bring it back again. Hornady always made a good choice of bullets and I have been shooting the Big Sierra since I bought it. It shots cast bullets great too a 260gr at 1800fps makes a good deer bullet for woods hunting.
It has to be the least fussy cal when it comes to reloading Now we have lot's of bullets to pick from even plastic tipped ones. I have always stuck to the Hornady 270gr and Sierra300gr and Nozler Part for big game hunting. I use the 235gr speer for deer as the little slug holds up well. The Sierra 200gr pushed at 3000fps is a bomb on Gophers :D.
It's just a really fun gun But it really does not shine until the range gets far say over 200yds it hit's hard shoots as flat as a 06. But to be honest I don't think the animal dies any faster than if hit by my 7x57. It will however punch through a animal at any angle I guess that is what it was made for lol.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I agree! It's one of my favorites. I've got one in a Pre-64 Model 70 that is a beast. The only draw backs I've found are short case life and my particular rifle won't shoot lighter bullets well. It loves the 300 gr. Hornady RN with 77 gr. of Win 760 though. Coverleaf groups are common, and 300 gr. slugs at 2500 fps are plenty of wallop, on both ends! I've had similar results with the 285 gr. Speer Grand Slam, but they are kind of pricey for plinking.

Been thinking of trying some cast in it, but that's just another iron in my already too full fire.

Haven't used it on any game, yet.
NRA Life Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

It is just a great cartridge - all around - recoil feels more like a shotgun - it can be loaded up or down. And it is accurate - at least in the guns I have seen. 1 inch groups common in the MarK X Interarms and a friend with a Browning stainless shot a .27" group with full power cast bullets at 100 yds, only group he shot that day. I think you can make great case for it as a one gun battery.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joel »

I am thinking of doing a 375wsm. I have a 300wsm model 70, the barrel is ugly, so why not?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Don, some of the guys I know around here use the 375 on elk & moose for the one shot knock them off their feet and to deal with grizzlies. Both the 300 & 375 have a good taper to the case for extraction kinda like the levergun rounds. Its a good design. danny
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

TedH wrote:I agree! It's one of my favorites. I've got one in a Pre-64 Model 70 that is a beast. The only draw backs I've found are short case life and my particular rifle won't shoot lighter bullets well. It loves the 300 gr. Hornady RN with 77 gr. of Win 760 though. Coverleaf groups are common, and 300 gr. slugs at 2500 fps are plenty of wallop, on both ends! I've had similar results with the 285 gr. Speer Grand Slam, but they are kind of pricey for plinking.

Been thinking of trying some cast in it, but that's just another iron in my already too full fire.

Haven't used it on any game, yet.
I think lot's of the belted mags are the same as too the short case life the shallow shoulder does not help the H&Hs 300/375 My 700 was like that so I had it cut to 375 improved that helped. The BRNO is tighter and the Belts on Win cases that I have seem thicker and taller than Rem brass thus in my mind head space a bit better Norma brass is good too.
I can only get a 100fps more out of the improved case though in my gun. I sold the 700 a few years ago.
I have found that I have at least a 8'' point of impact change when I shoot the light bullets they shot great but boy you have to sure crank the scope down and to the right,yet a lead round ball shoots bang on at 20yrds to stop a charging Spruce Grouse.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

brno602 wrote:I bought my first .375 when I was 17! Back then you could only get the 285gr Grand slam and 235gr from Speer, Nozler had droped the cal back then but did bring it back again. Hornady always made a good choice of bullets and I have been shooting the Big Sierra since I bought it. It shots cast bullets great too a 260gr at 1800fps makes a good deer bullet for woods hunting.
It has to be the least fussy cal when it comes to reloading Now we have lot's of bullets to pick from even plastic tipped ones. I have always stuck to the Hornady 270gr and Sierra300gr and Nozler Part for big game hunting. I use the 235gr speer for deer as the little slug holds up well. The Sierra 200gr pushed at 3000fps is a bomb on Gophers :D.
It's just a really fun gun But it really does not shine until the range gets far say over 200yds it hit's hard shoots as flat as a 06. But to be honest I don't think the animal dies any faster than if hit by my 7x57. It will however punch through a animal at any angle I guess that is what it was made for lol.
+1 I also have a brno in 375 ouch & ouch.I shoot more cast loads in it than anything else :D
DAV life member.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

If one wanted to use this monster for deer, what load would one use? A solid for through and through, an expanding bullet loaded down, a cast boolit with large meplate, or a factory load?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

For deer, you can use any load you want!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Really kind of a one do it all gun.
In case you ever need more gun---you have it!
Can load it very mild to really wild.
Everyone should have one! :)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

My first 375 H&H was a Ruger #1H which I traded to a friends father for another 375 H&H a Interarms Mark X Whitworth that he stocked in a very nice piece of French Walnut . And of course I still have the Mark X !

Now I'm in the market for another Ruger #1H in 375 H&H that was made in the 70's or 80's to go in the collection !

Already have #1H's in 416 REM MAG and 458 WIN MAG so another 1H in 375 will be a piece of cake behind those two !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

madman4570 wrote:Really kind of a one do it all gun.
In case you ever need more gun---you have it!
Can load it very mild to really wild.
Everyone should have one! :)
+1, anyway the best cals are all around a 100 years old now or older. I wonder if we will see some nice guns come out in 2012 for the .375H&H?
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

We have three of these. The first, a stainless steel Winchester Model 70, was a gift from my then-girlfriend, now wife, who did not yet know I am left-eye dominant. The second, a left-hand Winchester Model 70 Safari Express, I bought so we would have his-and-hers Africa rifles. The third is a Ruger No. 1 I bought because I like the .375 H&H and the No. 1, so it seemed as good idea to try it.

We don't shoot these very often, as the private family land where we used to "plink" is now surrounded by more development, with a school nearby.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

mikld wrote:If one wanted to use this monster for deer, what load would one use? A solid for through and through, an expanding bullet loaded down, a cast boolit with large meplate, or a factory load?

DAV life member.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

mikld wrote:If one wanted to use this monster for deer, what load would one use? A solid for through and through, an expanding bullet loaded down, a cast boolit with large meplate, or a factory load?

Those good looking bullets of txpete's would do nicely, but I've also wondered about the Hornady 220 bullet that's intended for the 375 Winchester. Just keep the speed down around cast bullet speed.
NRA Life Member
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

ted I have tried the 220 hornady and the 200 gr speer(I also have a 375 BB94) both bullets shot great.I am just a cast bullet nut and started shooting the lyman 375-449 in the brno.sized .377 they out shoot the above jacketed bullets for groups using AA5744.

DATA FROM ACCURATE POWDER.

.375 H&H. (Holland & Holland)

Barrel length: 24”

Reduced loads:

Powder: Accurate – 5744.

Bullet weight: 200 grains.

Low load: 42.0 grains (2275 – 2375 Fps)

Midrange load: 51.0 grains (2650 – 2750 Fps)

Maximum load: 60.0 grains (2850 – 2950 Fps).

Bullet weight: 220 grains.

Low load: 40.3 grains (2200 – 2300 Fps)

Midrange load: 48.0 grains (2500 – 2600 Fps)

Maximum load: 57.0 grains (2800 – 2900 Fps).

Bullet weight: 280 grains.

Low load: 35.0 grains (1700 – 1800 Fps)

Midrange load: 42.0 grains (2000 – 2100 Fps)

Maximum load: 50.0 grains (2300 – 2400 Fps).

pete
DAV life member.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Pete I've got that Lyman mold and the RCBS 37-250. With my recent score of a Marlin 375 I wanted to get one of Ranch Dog's 375 molds. I happened to get his last one! It should be here tomorrow or the next day. Looks like I've got lots of cast bullet options in both of my 375's. Thanks for the data!
NRA Life Member
wavetrain75
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wavetrain75 »

Well, they'll drop an elephant and while the recoil is certainly stout it's a lot more manageable than you'd guess.

Don't have one, but it's in the running if I ever get into big bores.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

getitdone1 wrote:Why would anyone want a rifle chambered for the 375 H&H cartridge?
Cause I can kill ANY critter I want!

Mostly just deer though, the 270gr Hornady SP at 2700fps.

Strange how they were all one shot kills.............. :lol:

JP
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Remington 700 Classic from the custom shop here, 1982 manufacture.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I like the 260 grain Nosler Accubond at a moderate velocity around 2450 fps. I've shot a number of deer with that bullet and it is fantastic. You are never really "undergunned" with the 375. I like 380 gr Rhino bullets for buffalo, eland and other heavy game. The loaner rifle that I send with my clients to Africa is a Mauser 98 in 375 H&H. In spite of different sizes and experiences, my clients have experienced 100% one shot kills on all sorts of plains game and buffalo using the Rhino bullets and more recently, great results on plains game with both the 260 Nosler Accubond and the 350 gr Northfork soft point and solid.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Tis a classic cartridge, if I had the money I would love a Holland & Holland rifle in that chambering. Still love looking at pictures of them, dreams are free hey. Good excuse to go up the Territory after Buff.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

I have a couple of 9.3x62mm Mauser rifles, though not a 375 H&H, they come pretty close to it. I like that the 9.3x62 doesn't beat your shoulder up, which I think is due to the pressure being kept under 56,500 psi.

Steve
mike454
Levergunner

Post by mike454 »

One of the animals for which the 375 is juuuust right
Rifle is a pre '64 70, using 270 failsafes. The bear took 3 hits but never took a step after the first shot. Hide squared 9'4".
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Outstanding Mike! Details please! :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member