Win Model 88 .308 Weak/Slow friing pin ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Win Model 88 .308 Weak/Slow friing pin ?

Post by Joel »

My 88 has a slow squishy feeling trigger. Has a bit of a lag almost when I touch it off, and there is no good crispy loud snap. Is this from a week spring? Is this something I should attempt to tackle myself, or should I send it out? I am reasonably handy, but if there is a chance of launching springy/sproingy thingys into the atmosphere i'd rather not risk it. This gun has a very low serial number, and if it wasn't my favorite deer rifle i'd wouldn't even worry about it.

It almost feels like there is fluid/oil inside the bolt slowing it down, I wonder if I didn't over do it, and then storing it upright could it be the problem?
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Win Model 88 .308 Weak/Slow friing pin ?

Post by Gun Smith »

My guess is that there is oil, powder, or grease fouling in the trigger assembly. As I remember the M. 88 had kind of a weird trigger assembly anyway because of its location. If you do clean it, use oil sparingly.
I only use WD 40 in and on my guns. Of course I lived used to live in a climate that went to below zero at times, so I used no oil. In warmer climates light oil is OK.
The problem with oils is you need to clean your guns frequently because most oils will collect grit, and other bad stuff. When I 'smithed, MOST of my customers NEVER cleaned their guns, so gummy actions were common.
I'm sure other posters will chime in with their favorite lubes.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Was it better before and noticably bad now? They have a reputation for not the best trigger. I have a identical one to yours I bought a couple of years ago. My trigger is a lot like yours. I was out sighting it in with a new scope and had about three rifles that day. I was also a little disappointed with the trigger compared to my other rifles. The trigger let off took a little more and acted as you described.
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joel »

Booger Bill wrote:Was it better before and noticably bad now? They have a reputation for not the best trigger. I have a identical one to yours I bought a couple of years ago. My trigger is a lot like yours. I was out sighting it in with a new scope and had about three rifles that day. I was also a little disappointed with the trigger compared to my other rifles. The trigger let off took a little more and acted as you described.
It was better before. It sat in a safe for 6 years, and now I notice it is a little funky.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

my answer to almost everything like this is spray Boeshield T9 on it and see if it loosens up.
Right after I discovered the stuff, I was rebuilding a tired frozen Golden West, but first was trying to get it apart - the sideplate screws spun the nickel silver posts and wouldn't break even with a set of Big nylon tubing pliers holding the posts. So I sprayed the right areas with Boeshield to act like penetrating oil on the screws, and the next day, the whole reel was spinning like a top.
um, it didn't quite look like this before I worked on it (all the nickel silver was red with dealloying, the ebonite was tan with oxidation, and the aluminum was white with chalk)
the aluminum rings under the ebonite were corroded and swollen, and the Boeshield dehydrated them allowing the ebonite to relax, and little bit that seeped in internally softened all the waxed grease.
When grease breaks down, it makes wax and weak acids. All of that reacts with dirt to make a substance that is like hard clay. Boeshield removes the waters of hydration in the salts and the whole thing goes back to liquid.
If it's working for you then, you're really not done, but you know what the problem was - it still needs a disassembly cleaning.

spring relaxation takes both time and temperature, and temperature of course (relative to the original set heat treatment temp) shortens the time.
But most steel springs are set at 350oF or higher, so spring relaxation isn't my first thought on a rifle that age.
Bloodhound
Levergunner

Post by Bloodhound »

My son's 88 was purchased from a pawn shop...it was gummy and it took a full can of break free sprayed into the action...it came out Black....then some very light fine gun oil...and the trigger while not on par with my pre-64 model 70s, it is everybit at good as my two 88s(308 &243). Sounds like a gummed up system on your rifle
Scott

Do Justice
Love Mercy
Walk Humbly With Your GOD
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have two 88s and both the triggers are "mushy". That is standard on these rifles.
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joel »

Bloodhound wrote:My son's 88 was purchased from a pawn shop...it was gummy and it took a full can of break free sprayed into the action...it came out Black....then some very light fine gun oil...and the trigger while not on par with my pre-64 model 70s, it is everybit at good as my two 88s(308 &243). Sounds like a gummed up system on your rifle

Do 88's and model 70's share some parts? Wonder if a trigger can be spruced up?