Winchester Model 94; 32WS

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester Model 94; 32WS

Post by lthardman »

I had some time to dig a little deeper in the fun safe this past weekend. About ten years ago, I bought this Winchester Model 94 chambered in 32 Winchester Special. The seller only wanted $150 for it, and there were three guys behind me who would buy it if I didn't. The serial number (1545XXX) makes it 1949 production, per the list I checked. So, even though I wasn't shopping for a 94 that day, I brought it home. It seems in quite good condition for the age, with most of the bluing (thin on the corners) good and the wood is nice. One spot of rust on the magazine tube that I have done what I can with. I purchased a box of 32 WS, and it seems to shoot just fine. Here are some pictures:

Some questions for you experts: I am not that familiar with the 32 WS cartridge. I picked up another couple boxes today, and found them to be a bit pricey. Do any of you reload this caliber?

Is the hooded front sight original in your opinion?

As you can see, there is a recoil pad (Redhead) on the stock. The rubber pad and the black backing appear to be attached to one another. It screws off, but comes off as one piece. Further, it seems to be pretty flat (no crescent or curvature to the butt). Do you think this stock was modified for the recoil pad, or can I simply replace the recoil pad with a new (old) butt plate? I don't recall the recoil to be so much that I need the pad. Thanks for any answers or opinions offered.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Winchester Model 94; 32WS

Post by KCSO »

And one of the BEST cast bullet calibers!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That sure is a nice rifle..... 150.00 is flabbergasting in today's market :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

In that time period, the hooded ramp front sight is standard, as is the flat "shotgun butt". It came with either a serrated or checkered steel flat butt plate. Many people put a pad on them to make them longer more than for recoil.

Your gun is in good shape. You got a very good deal, even for 10 years ago.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Nice snag! :D You done good on the price too. Unscrew the recoil pad and make a look-see if any wood has been cut. You most likely will luck out and you can screw on an original steel buttplate with little or no modification. They are available just about at any parts houses. Just google "winchester 1894 buttplate" and go for the late pre-war/post war one.

Its a no brainer cartridge to load for. Jacketed and cast are widely available for it. I make my cases just by running a 30-30 case in the 32 Spl fls. My favorite bullet is the 170 gr. RCBS gas checked one that I cast myself--21 grains of 5744 gives about 1800 fps and lots of accuracy.-----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

you stold that rifle! if you don't want to pay the high prices for .32, you can reload or rebarrel it to 30wcf. from the looks of the position of the barrel band ,it's an older gun :mrgreen: . no matter what you do, you are WAY AHEAD, i'd accept the cost of leaving it original and hoard some 32 w.c.f at gun show's, fleamarkets, online auctions etc.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Hornady makes the correct 170 gr. FP bullet. Load it over 31-32 gr. of IMR 3031 and go hunting. Get a flat checkered steel butt plate and see if it fits. If it does, drive on. :wink:

Dang lucky guys...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
What those guys said !! +1
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

fantastic. Love the caliber. well done.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Chuck 100 yd wrote::mrgreen: :mrgreen:
What those guys said !! +1
and 2. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Thats in really good shape!
Load em up like Hobie said and go hunting!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

lthardman wrote:I had some time to dig a little deeper in the fun safe this past weekend. About ten years ago, I bought this Winchester Model 94 chambered in 32 Winchester Special. The seller only wanted $150 for it, and there were three guys behind me who would buy it if I didn't. The serial number (1545XXX) makes it 1949 production, per the list I checked. So, even though I wasn't shopping for a 94 that day, I brought it home. It seems in quite good condition for the age, with most of the bluing (thin on the corners) good and the wood is nice. One spot of rust on the magazine tube that I have done what I can with. I purchased a box of 32 WS, and it seems to shoot just fine. Here are some pictures:

Some questions for you experts: I am not that familiar with the 32 WS cartridge. I picked up another couple boxes today, and found them to be a bit pricey. Do any of you reload this caliber?

Is the hooded front sight original in your opinion?

As you can see, there is a recoil pad (Redhead) on the stock. The rubber pad and the black backing appear to be attached to one another. It screws off, but comes off as one piece. Further, it seems to be pretty flat (no crescent or curvature to the butt). Do you think this stock was modified for the recoil pad, or can I simply replace the recoil pad with a new (old) butt plate? I don't recall the recoil to be so much that I need the pad. Thanks for any answers or opinions offered.
The hooded front sight is probably OK. I bought a flatband carbine that as close as I can determine dates to 1945, judging by the date on the bottom of the barrel after the forearm was removed. This gun is known locally and was not reworked or rebarrelled. It has a ramp front sight but the cover is missing. I've got a couple of those covers around (from newer 94's) and they fit like store-bought. The butt on your 94 had a flat steel checkered buttplate. I can't tell from the photo if your wood was shortened up when somebody fitted that pad or not. If they didn't, a steel one can be found and screwing it on should be no problem. As for handloading, I've got 30-30's, but never had a 32 special. There's plenty of data for that caliber, and all of the die manufacturers sell dies for it. Lots of guys over on the Cast Boolets website rave over this caliber as being a good one with cast bullets. If I were in your place I'd get me a set of dies and maybe an RCBS mold, and use this rifle. Lead bullets in this caliber can be just as good as, or better than store-bought ones for nearly all purposes--plus, greased lead will hardly ever wear out a steel barrel. Great Find!!
Bloodhound
Levergunner

Post by Bloodhound »

Have to love the .32...you can reload 170 grain bullet, the 170 grain bullet, or the ever popular 170 grain bullet...that said, I prefer the170 grain bullet :lol:

It is my favorite levergun cartrage...I load and shoot it in my custom 336A Congrats on your score...shot it a lot...you too will fall in love.
Scott

Do Justice
Love Mercy
Walk Humbly With Your GOD
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

The one I used to have seemed to be about the same results as my .30.30s . Yes, yours's is set up as should be, but back then I don't think the butt pad was a standard from the factor .
Some one will correct me if I'm wrong , OK ? . Plus you have a very fine rifle there . ..............Mutt :mrgreen: