repost of 4 for 4

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

repost of 4 for 4

Post by Scott Young »

i am reposting this thinking it got lost in cyber space. it is reworded some and shortened.

just the other day it rained and several ant mounds popped up. there were 4 ant mounds 200 yards from my front door. i grabbed my .35 remington and shouldered it launching a bullet into the first hill. you could hear the ants screaming as the fell from the sky. i shot the last three mounds just as easily. what struck me as unusual was a year ago i would have over contemplated the shot. that was before i took scott t's challenge. i have been sending lead down range for the last year according to scott's challenge. the rifle is a factory marlin .35 remington. i am shooting factory sights with factory .35 remington 200 grain bullet (they were on sale). i normally load my own, and have recently moved the fps back down some. if there is a shot that needs to be made inside of 200 yds it is dead. i have shot several critters over 100 and under 200. i am planning on stretching my range to 250-300 and increasing my firearm usage during practice. i have been using three so far they have been .32 ws, .35 rem, and a .44 mag. i will continue to use them and add a .45-70 and .45 lc black hawk.

thanks scott for the challenge! it has paid off well. i have a challenge for bow hunters but i will post it on another thread.
LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverBar »

Dang, Man! I'd wager you were not an ant in your-life-before.
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

Don't you love the .35 Remington? Mine is the most accurate levergun I own.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Wow - MOA, Minute-of ant ! :P :P :roll:
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

What is the legal bag limit and is that mounds or individual ants?

mmm french fried ant legs. And you get six with every ant.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

You gave me a good idea, I always poured Kerosene on my ant hills. Your idea sounds like much more fun!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Are you sure you're using enough bullet? Those ants are pretty tough.

Have you seen "Starship Troopers"?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

Wow a whole army of ants too :lol:
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

You're way overgunned. How can you call yourself a sportsman? The correct caliber for ants is .0035 at 6K fps, not .35, with a 5K X scope! You must practice until you can consistently achieve .0045 groups. Then you will have joined the ranks of the true ant hunters! :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Watch it - I hear them ants have friends - mainly termites. You may get a sneak attack from one of their allies!!! :shock:
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Pete44ru wrote:Wow - MOA, Minute-of ant ! :P :P :roll:
HILARIOUS! :lol:

Thanks,
bogie
LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverBar »

I used to have a pet scorpion in a terrarium. Fed him a termite (Hey! He's an ant in the record books!). The termite killed the scorpion, though he never did walk straight after that.

Ended up letting him go. True Story.

He was a mighty fine Boone and Crocket specimen.

If you're thinking of flying out to bag him, too late. That was 30 years ago. Although, come to think of it, his genetics are likely still in the pool!

Call me for GPS coordinates!
LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverBar »

E-gads! Double post.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

ScottY, I'm glad you brought this up. I have allways struggled gutting ants. Can you tell me of your methods please? Some pics would help too :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

i prefer to cut them into halves with my usmc kabar. although i wasn't able to serve in the military i love this knife. i lay the ant on its back and cut it from head to tail. i leave the innards in because they absorb the flavor much like crawfish.

a technical note concerning the .35 rem. the 200 grain bullet kills not only by impact, but also by atmospheric concussion and terrestrial shock.

i went out today and shot several more mounds. unfortunately i wasn't able to harvest the kill. it will be freezing tonight and i will collect my prize tomorrow.