Rem 700 and 721 barrel interchangeable?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Rem 700 and 721 barrel interchangeable?

Post by Joel »

I have an old rem 721 30-06, stock is broken, barrel is rusty a,d front sight broke. Can I screw on a rem 700 25-06 barrel? I would need to have headspaced, anything else? I have a nice 700 bdl stock I will refinish, I little work here and there and the action looks like it will fit in the stock.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Rem 700 and 721 barrel interchangeable?

Post by awp101 »

I'm going to start off by saying I don't know BUT according to page 9-10 here: http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3 ... _small.pdf it's close.

Hopefully a trained professional can answer better... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joel »

awp101 wrote:I'm going to start off by saying I don't know BUT according to page 9-10 here: http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3 ... _small.pdf it's close.

Hopefully a trained professional can answer better... :lol:
Thanks very much for that link, lots of good stuff in there, the ruger barrel looks similar too.
The 700 Looks pretty close, the threaded nose on the 700 barrel a bit longer. I wonder what that means?
bcp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcp »

700 - 721 barrel threads are the same. Barrel probably will headspace, but the sights, if any, may be on the bottom or somewhere else. If you need the sights or lettering in the right place, you will probably need a lathe, reamer and gauges. Headspace must be checked, no matter what.

That's why I like plain barrels for swapping.

The Ruger barrels threads WILL NOT work on a Rem 700-721. Rugers do closely match Win 70 push feed rifles.

Bruce
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joel »

bcp wrote:700 - 721 barrel threads are the same. Barrel probably will headspace, but the sights, if any, may be on the bottom or somewhere else. If you need the sights or lettering in the right place, you will probably need a lathe, reamer and gauges. Headspace must be checked, no matter what.

That's why I like plain barrels for swapping.

The Ruger barrels threads WILL NOT work on a Rem 700-721. Rugers do closely match Win 70 push feed rifles.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce!!!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Joel wrote: Thanks very much for that link, lots of good stuff in there
No sweat! I was asking about threading a barrel for a Martini Cadet elsewhere a week or two ago and someone posted that. The least I can do is pass it along... :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at