OT- Lyman 21 sight on eBay

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

OT- Lyman 21 sight on eBay

Post by Mike D. »

Sometimes, in spite of being somewhat savvy about these things, I just get carried away with bidding. There was a NIB Lyman 21-N sight that just closed at $443. I wanted it, so placed a big bid and forgot about it. Well, that's what it cost me in the end, but that's OK. I intend to put it on either my Browning 1886 carbine or a Winchester LW. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT- Lyman 21 sight on eBay

Post by spaceman spiff »

I'm guilty of much of the same. Probably over paid for some things.
I'll pay for what I want even if it's too much in some peoples mind. Enjoy
your new sight. Besides, how many of these sights in new condition exist?

I have railed here before about the cheapness of the new sights, no such problem
with yours. Got any pics of it?

Troy
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You just bought it early. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Not really, Hobie, the other bidder missed by only a few dollars. For a while it was stuck at $208 and I thought it could be "stolen". :mrgreen:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The sight arrived this AM and is truly NEW. Except for some dust and dried oil it's ready to go. If it is mounted on my hole free Browning carbine the saddle ring and stud will have to be removed, but that's OK. I could go ahead and put it on an 1886 EL with pre-drilled tang sight holes, but we'll see. I'm altogether happy with this nice Lyman 21N. :D
Lyman 21N.jpg
twoguns
Levergunner 1.0

Post by twoguns »

That is a beautiful piece of history Mike. I hope it does well for you. Can you tell us about this sight and why its better than a tang sight like the Marbles. Curious minds and all that.
A man on a gallopin' horse in the middle of the night would never know the difference.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The Lyman Nos 21 abs 38 sights mount to the frame of the rifle and don't interfere with your grip like the upright tang sights do. I have an original 1886 that had a tang sight on it, but I removed the thing because it ate my thumb every time I shot it. I much prefer a smooth, unencumbered tang to lay my thumb over.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mike,
Thats a good buy! Average ones coded "N" in nice shape go for $500. To find one NIB is great--------Just what is needed for a 95-99% .33 or 45-70 EXLGWT or a nice '95 which as you know, has the same hole spacing :D -----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Great find. Congats, Mike. 1886.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

It must be n fairly early No 21 because the box is plain and the top is only marked with faint blue lettering that says "Lyman Gun Sight Corporation/Littlefield, Conn.