OT- But gun related.....Black Talon 1, Possum 0

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ridgerunner
Levergunner 2.0

OT- But gun related.....Black Talon 1, Possum 0

Post by Ridgerunner »

Had a hen killed a few weeks ago, had no idea what got it. Heard the girls squaking about 830 tonight, went out, chickens running around pen, raising hell. I went into coop, and out stepped a nasty ol' possum. A WW 158 LSWCHP +P anchored her from the S&W 642, but she was still moving. then, ears ringing, I had my wife watch it until I could get some ear protection and my M92FS with the evil +P+ 127 Ranger Black Talon. 1 to the head ended her chicken eatin' days. She had a pup stuck to her tit, mother and child both in trash can.
Confederately yours,

Ridgerunner
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- But gun related.....Black Talon 1, Possum 0

Post by JerryB »

A chicken eatin' possum is worse than a egg suckin' hound.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

The old poss was not worth that $3.00 bullet, shoulda found an old blazer aluminum case fmj for it! :D
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

JerryB wrote:A chicken eatin' possum is worse than a egg suckin' hound.
CAN you please explain that sayin' :D Never heard it B4 :idea: Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

buckeyeshooter wrote:The old poss was not worth that $3.00 bullet, shoulda found an old blazer aluminum case fmj for it! :D
To quote a popular PHRASE: A good shot. PRICELESS :D
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Ridgerunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ridgerunner »

My wife gets VERY upset if anything happens to her "hennies", so the dead poss was well worth the price of the bullet, had I paid for it. Since I got some of my department's duty rounds when I retired, it didn't cost me a thing and gained us peace of mind....
Confederately yours,

Ridgerunner
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

JerryB wrote:A chicken eatin' possum is worse than a egg suckin' hound.
The worst I can remember from when I was a kid was a mink. A big male could wipe out and entire hen house in a single visit. Not to many critters smarter than a mink with toes missing from a missed trapping attempt.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

After I killed a skunk with the 30 WCF a couple of weeks ago I can pass along this advise...

You probably did not use "enough gun". If the editors at "Guns and Ammo" get ahold of the idea possums die from Jframe delivered wounds no telling what they may write about next.....

My folks always told us if a possum gets into an open water well you might as well nail a lid on it and start digging a new well. Those are nasty critters.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
1historian
Levergunner

Post by 1historian »

I live in a tight neighborhood...my wife objected to the possums getting into the trash and making a mess (we have secured the trash in various ways but to no avail...) so one rainy nite I waited in the shed with a single shot 22 rifle loaded with .22 Cb cap...18" barrel low velocity = little noise...the first head shot incapcitated the beast the second ended the trashing...no one complained...