J.C.Higgings, Sears model 54 30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

J.C.Higgings, Sears model 54 30-30

Post by Lefty Dude »

Who made these for Sears ?
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: J.C.Higgings, Sears model 54 30-30

Post by awp101 »

The Sears 54 is a Win 94. I have the barrel and mag assembly for one that was left over from a project.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

awp101 wrote:The Sears 54 is a Win 94. I have the barrel and mag assembly for one that was left over from a project.
Ding! Ding! Ding! Es correcto!

To look up yerownself: http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.sears-3-m.html
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Griff wrote:
awp101 wrote:The Sears 54 is a Win 94. I have the barrel and mag assembly for one that was left over from a project.
Law of averages, I was bound to be right about something eventually. Can we sticky this as proof? :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

We keep goin' like this, we're gonna be legends in our own minds ! :mrgreen:

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Pete44ru wrote:We keep goin' like this, we're gonna be legends in our own minds ! :mrgreen:

Careful, I already have delusions of adequacy... :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

The Ted Williams Model 100 is the same Winchester '94 after Sears left the J.C. Higgins label and signed the baseball player of the decade to endorse their sporting good line.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

They want $299.00 for the piece. Whats it worth ?

The left side of the receiver has so many pluged holes, it's D&T for about any sight available.
Maybe even a side-mount scope.
How can I tell if its a pre-64 model ?
SASS# 51223

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Lefty Dude wrote:They want $299.00 for the piece. Whats it worth ?

The left side of the receiver has so many pluged holes, it's D&T for about any sight available.
All of the Sears marked Win 94s are Post-64s. There should be only three holes in the top of the left side of the receiver. The one towards the front should have a large head screw in it, it's the link pin screw, and two small 6x48 plug screws toward the rear for the installation of the receiver sight.

Any thing else has been drilled after the fact.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Thanks, Joe.

I'll keep an eye on the piece and will go look at it again.

Every one needs a beater 30-30, right?
SASS# 51223

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Lefty Dude wrote:Thanks, Joe.

I'll keep an eye on the piece and will go look at it again.

Every one needs a beater 30-30, right?
Absolutely.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Every time I hear someone talk about having a Ted Williams rifle or shotgun it makes me think about the time I was in a gun shop and a guy walked in with a .30-30 Ted Williams he wanted to sell. They low balled him like gunshops usually do on something like that and the guy went ballistic. He started shouting "what are you trying to pull... this is a Ted Williams commemorative!" I started laughing so hard I almost hurt myself.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

J Miller wrote:

All of the Sears marked Win 94s are Post-64s. There should be only three holes in the top of the left side of the receiver. The one towards the front should have a large head screw in it, it's the link pin screw, and two small 6x48 plug screws toward the rear for the installation of the receiver sight.

Joe
Not necessarily. Sears had the Ted Williams models factory drilled and tapped for several different scope mounts that were available at the time. I've owned 4 (two currently) of these rifles and all were done this way.

Rob

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

We know who Ted Williams was, but who was JC Higgins (besides just a name on Sears proprietary stuff)?????
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

I always thought the Ted Williams name was an improvement over the J.C Higgins brand. Some years back, on an elk hunting trip one of the party had a J.C. Higgings 30-06. It appeared that the action was probably a Husqvarna, the stock was nicely figured and the overall finish of the gun was excellent. He related that he bought it used. He got it for $75.00 because the owner thought it was a piece of Sears "stuff." He couldn't have been more wrong!
Happy Trails!
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I believe JC Higgins worked in the Sears Corp. sales dept. He was a nobody.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I believe JC Higgins worked in the Sears Corp. sales dept. He was a nobody.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

firefuzz wrote:
J Miller wrote:

Joe
Not necessarily. Sears had the Ted Williams models factory drilled and tapped for several different scope mounts that were available at the time. I've owned 4 (two currently) of these rifles and all were done this way.

Rob
Really??? I've never seen one with more than the three regular holes. Always willing to learn. Could you post some pics?

Thanks

Joe
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

Griff wrote:

To look up yerownself: http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.sears-3-m.html

Thanks for the chart, I saved it in my favorites.

JT
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Joe;

On the piece I saw there are 4 D&T's spaced the length of the top of the left side of the receiver. Possible side mount scope rail attachment. Then the typical Williams receiver D&T hole pattern to the mid left receiver rear, all look factory and are fitted with plug screws. Plus the action screws and pin holes on the left receiver side.
SASS# 51223

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Lefty Dude wrote:Joe;

On the piece I saw there are 4 D&T's spaced the length of the top of the left side of the receiver. Possible side mount scope rail attachment. Then the typical Williams receiver D&T hole pattern to the mid left receiver rear, all look factory and are fitted with plug screws. Plus the action screws and pin holes on the left receiver side.
I found a small and not to crisp pic in my files that does show more than the standard number of screw holes. So I guess I've learned something today. Still hoping for a clear picture of left side of one of these.

Joe
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

I have a Ted Williams Model 100. The only "extra" holes are the two receiver sight holes. It is a very good shooter!
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Lefty offer 'im 2 crisp Franklins. A beater .30-30 is worth that much.

You'd have to show me a new in box TW model with said holes, for the price, Winchester wasn't likely to do anything extra.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Griff;

My thinking exactly, pard.

I'll check on it tomorrow. If it has the cheap pop-can metal lifter I might just pass. Or use it as a bargaining chip.
SASS# 51223

Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I returned today for a second look at the piece. I ask what the best price would be, $250.00 was the asking price. I made an offer of $200.00, was rejected and I walked.

On closer inspection the rear sight elevator ramp was missing, was told I could get one from Brownells. The cartridge carrier/elevator is the cheap steel type, not very reliable in my opinion. I prefer the machined carrier/elevator. This piece is very stiff and hard to cycle, it need lots of internal smooooothing. It has been a closet queen for a very long time.

I'll make the offer again in a couple of weeks, again $200.00.
SASS# 51223

firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Griff wrote:Lefty offer 'im 2 crisp Franklins. A beater .30-30 is worth that much.

You'd have to show me a new in box TW model with said holes, for the price, Winchester wasn't likely to do anything extra.

I borrowed this pic off an auction (it was easier than getting out the camera), it's EXACTLY LIKE the two I own. In the '60's Sears and RareBack were the Walmart or Cabela's of today. When you ordered thousands of guns a year from a company you pretty well got what you wanted. If you still don't believe me I'll take pics of the other two but it'll be a couple of days as one of them is at my Mom's.

This is a pic of a standard post '64 Winchester.

A late pre-'64 ('60 or '61)

An early pre-'64 (1907 or so)

BTW, I'm not sure the TW models sold for less than regular '94's at that time. I worked in three different gunshops part-time for about 15 years and handled a couple of dozen of these guns, every one of them was just like this.

Rob

Because I can!

jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Those Ted Williams guns would all have that abominable tin cartridge lifter, but the cast-steel one they came out with at the tail end of that period for the Model 94 Winnies could be fitted. I have the later lifter in a Classic Rifle-mine was installed during the pre-production phase, in a gun that I ordered as a Winchester employee. It's seen countless rounds and has never failed. I know of 30-30 carbines with the tinny version that never went beyond a couple of boxes of shells before they crapped out. One was in a carbine that my youngest brother bought in 1971 or thereabouts. He ended up taking it to a Winchester warranty gunshop just before deer season where they replaced it with the then-new cast steel one. It's never failed since. On the flip side, to be fair--I know of two rifles that still have the tin lifter and it's still working for the owners. For how long, nobody knows. That tin lifter is the most unpredictable piece of stuff that Winchester ever made.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have had several of the Win 94s with the stamped carrier. None of them gave me any trouble with that part. One had problems with under the carrier jams but that was easily fixed.
Were I to purchase another 94 with the stamped carrier I'd not bother to "fix" it till it really broke.

Some of the early post 64 94s were indeed stiff to work. Those I polished till they shined and it didn't help. I think those are stiff due to a metal to metal friction problem.

Were I in the position to buy one I'd do it. Never owned a TW 94, although I've owned two other Sears nameplate long guns and both worked very well.

Joe
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Fire Fuzz;

The pix you posted above has the hole pattern D&T's as the one I am looking at. The lifter is about as thin as I have seen. My brother ownes a BB-Classic made about the same time frame as this piece and his lifter is the stamped steel, but much stronger. I think Winchester installed a different lifter on the Sears models.

This 54 also has a funky nose-piece on the fore stock. A large metal tip with a sling stud-swivel attached. One ugly nose on the piece. The furniture appears to not be Walnut, maybe Ash with a light Walnut stain and a steel butt plate.

The piece is a Sears 54 and not a TW-100. I would guess a mid to late 1960's model.

If I get the piece so-be-it, if not won't be a big deal.

This is only a beater for sure, or throw down. I'll go $200.00, no more.
SASS# 51223

firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I don't have a regular Winchester '94 available to compare right now, but the lifter in the TW looks to be thin, but not stamped. Thru the years I've probably fired a couple of hundred rounds thru the two I've got with no problems.

$200 is the max I'd pay for one of these guns too, unless it was like new or had aperture sights already on it. I use mine for truck guns or loaners and they work great for this. They shoot as good as any other '94 I've ever had.

Rob

Because I can!

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

firefuzz wrote:
Griff wrote:Lefty offer 'im 2 crisp Franklins. A beater .30-30 is worth that much.
I borrowed this pic off an auction (it was easier than getting out the camera), it's EXACTLY LIKE the two I own. In the '60's Sears and RareBack were the Walmart or Cabela's of today. When you ordered thousands of guns a year from a company you pretty well got what you wanted. If you still don't believe me I'll take pics of the other two but it'll be a couple of days as one of them is at my Mom's.
<snip>
Rob
Well, I've only seen 2 or 3 of the Ted William's model... and none of those had screws in them. Those screws do have a "factory" look about them! I'd still like to see an ad or catalog description, but won't say "never."
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

My assumption is that Sears must of had a side mount Scope base attachment made by Weaver that would most likely fit the "K" series scope with a J.C. Higgins name.

I own a marlin 1897 made in 1905, when I got the 22 lever rifle it had a side mount Weaver Scope attached on the port side.The model is a G-4 Weaver and the mount has a hole pattern as is on the Sears 54 lever 30-30 rifle. If I had the 30-30 it would be interesting to see if this mount mated to the top four hole pattern.

My G4 is Marked "Weaver" patented El Paso, Tex. U.S.A.
SASS# 51223

Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

My TW 100 must be highly unusual since it doesn't have scope mount holes or the stamped lifter. It has the cast lifter. It ought to be a collectors item with those two special features!
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
dogngun
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dogngun »

My understanding on the J.C. Higgins Model 54 is this...they are pre-64 Winchester Model 94's stamped with the Seart "J.C. Higgins" brand name and a serisl number series all their own...which no one knows. The Higgins Model 54 was discontinued in the late 1950's or early 1960's, and the lever rifle re-named Ted Williams...so it is possible to have a TW that is really a pre-64...The Model 45 was a Marlin lever gun, and I believe there were some marked just Sears, but I am not sure about that...

J.C. Higgins was a Sears employee from the very early days of the 20th century.
Supposedly, someone got this info from the Buffalo Bill Historical Society
and posted it on another forum several years ago.
FWIW.
mark
The GOP/teabag party - Anti American AND stupid.