45LC Puma Carbine and a +P round

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Willie
Levergunner

45LC Puma Carbine and a +P round

Post by Willie »

I recently purchased a Puma 45 LC carbine. I was wondering if anyone knew if the rifle could handle the +p rounds like the buffalo round or any other round normally relegated to the Ruger Vacaro only.
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

Since they also make them in .454 Casull, I don't see why not.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

The .454 is assembled differently, with a screwed-in mag tube. When in doubt, ALWAYS ask the ammo maker.
zack coyote
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zack coyote »

I've shot a box of Buffalo Bore 300gr. out of my Rossi Carbine with no ill effects, except on my shoulder. I think the Rossi will handle hot loads with ease.
We'll be remembered for what we've done, not what we have.
www.johndietzstudio.com
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I have no doubt the action will digest +P loads with aplomb. As mentioned previously, the mag tube would likely be the weak spot, since all that really holds it in place is the rather small mag tube stud. I've read recently of someone who had a mag tube come loose after extensive shooting of heavy loads, the screw gradually coming loose unnoticed and wallowing out/stripping the threads in the hole. I guess it depends how "+" the +P loads are, and how many you shoot, and a wise precaution would be to check the tightness of the screw frequently, at least.
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

Jeff Quinn wrote:The .454 is assembled differently, with a screwed-in mag tube. When in doubt, ALWAYS ask the ammo maker.
I didn't know that Jeff, thanks for the info.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I have not heard of any problems using +p ammunition in these rifles. In fact, many load to much higher levels then +p!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

I understand the Rossi made M92s are stronger than the M94/1894s.

This is pretty interesting

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/ ... vergun.htm
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

Well, I own two 92's, both Interarms Rossi's. Both are .45 Colts, one a SRC and the other a half-round, half-octagon rifle. The half-octagon rifle has a carbine-style front band just behind the muzzle.

I have read Paco's atricles about reloading for the .45 Colt in the 92, and I've tried some of the lower-end loads. In particular, I've shot the 300-gr GC over a charge of H110. IIRC, it was something like 21 to 23 grains depending on the load. I worked up a variety of loads in half-grain increments.

My carbine digested them just fine, but the rifle...after six or seven shots and some judicial adjusting of my marble's tang sight, I noticed my groups had jumped high and left...then I noticed my mag tube was sticking out two inces in front of the muzzle !

The mag tube cap screw, the one that goes up into the tiny hole in the bottom of the barrel, had jumped foreward under recoil. The pin or whatever it is under the forearm cap had sheared as well. So I brought the gun home, carefully removed the end-cap screw, tapped the mag tube back in place, and tightened downt he end cap screw and loctited it. Now, the hole in the end of the barrel has a 'rounded' bottom; it's more like a rather generous dimple. I'm thinking of getting a square-bottomed drill bit and opeing up the bottom of the hole--being careful not to go any deeper--and them I'm gonna try and find a slightly longer screw to snug into it.

If that doesn't work, I've thought about either putting a set screw of some type in at the base of the frame where the mag tube goes intot he reciever, kind of like the mag tube retaining screw found on the side of a Winchester 97 shotgun.

From what I've read, the new .454 and .480 Pumas have a threaded magazine tube that probably accomplishes the same thing. Carbines seem to hold up to the recoil better, maybe the forearm/barrel band screw passing between the mag tube and the barrel holds the nmag tube in place better then the system on the full-length rifle.
WHELENATOR
Levergunner

Rossi Puma 45 Colt

Post by WHELENATOR »

I got one a few years old that steve Young worked over for me and it's been fine after eating some Cast Performance 265 WFN GC runing 1700 or so. I loaded them with 27 grains of H-110. Yeah, they are stout, and hurt. I also load the Keith 300 gr bullets I get here in town and load them also with H-110, but IIRC, it'sa about 22-24 grains. heck, I can't remember and I don't have my load notes in front of me. at any rate, they will shoot through a huge cottonwood and go so deep in the next one that I got tired of chopping trying to find the slug. The rifles are fine, but keep an eye on them. Some screws can and do back out occasionally.
lever actions are the original assault rifle!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Jeff is right as a general rule. What Brenda Vacaro has to do with it I don't know...

Mine digests 23 gr. H110 under 300 gr bullets with aplomb. No loose screws except in the trigger puller.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Willie
Levergunner

+p in the Rossi lever carbine

Post by Willie »

Thank you for the information. It sounds like I came to the right place to find some people that have experience with the heavier loads in the Rossi M92 lever guns. Most of the loads I shoot are more of the Cow Boy action level however I want the option of shooting a hotter load that may be well suited for hunting in New England. I have been using the Trail Boss powder and shooting in both the rifle and a US Firearms pistol.