Rossi 92 sights??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
grahng
Levergunner 2.0

Rossi 92 sights??

Post by grahng »

Had my new Rossi at the range today shooting at 50 yds. The best I could do to get a group on the paper was to shoot 5-6 inches south of center. Grouped fine at center by doing this. Do I just need to dump the stock sight?
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Rossi 92 sights??

Post by 1886 »

One could raise the rear sight by utilizing the ladder or replace the front sight with a taller unit. Regards, 1886.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

grahng wrote:Had my new Rossi at the range today shooting at 50 yds. The best I could do to get a group on the paper was to shoot 5-6 inches south of center. Grouped fine at center by doing this. Do I just need to dump the stock sight?
What cal Rossi?
My new 45Colt 16'' Barrell shoots high for others that have tried it but I am a tip of the sight in the bottom of the grove shooter and it works great on gophers fo me out to 50 yds.
P.S I have been too busy shooting gophers to do much paper work with the new toy :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

1886 wrote:One could raise the rear sight by utilizing the ladder or replace the front sight with a taller unit. Regards, 1886.
I think ya mean replace the front with a shorter unit... :wink:

I'd either put a Williams "Foolproof" 94-36 on it (requires drilling and tapping - $25 parts and access to a drill press) if you want a really rugged but repeatable and adjustable peep sight on it,

- - OR - -

I'd put a Marble's "Bullseye" on it, in the regular rear sight dovetail, if I wanted a FAST sight that was no easier to adjust, but offered way more VIEW of the target. It is just a bit higher than the factory (not much) and would probably raise your impact just enough anyway.

The Williams:

The Marbles:

Note that with the same front sight, your 'traditional' rear sight blocks quite a bit more view than most people realize - here is what it would look like vs. the 'Bullseye' one...
ImageImage
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

AJMD429 wrote:
1886 wrote:One could raise the rear sight by utilizing the ladder or replace the front sight with a taller unit. Regards, 1886.
I think ya mean replace the front with a shorter unit... :wink:

I'd either put a Williams "Foolproof" 94-36 on it (requires drilling and tapping - $25 parts and access to a drill press) if you want a really rugged but repeatable and adjustable peep sight on it,

- - OR - -

I'd put a Marble's "Bullseye" on it, in the regular rear sight dovetail, if I wanted a FAST sight that was no easier to adjust, but offered way more VIEW of the target. It is just a bit higher than the factory (not much) and would probably raise your impact just enough anyway.

The Williams:

The Marbles:

Note that with the same front sight, your 'traditional' rear sight blocks quite a bit more view than most people realize - here is what it would look like vs. the 'Bullseye' one...
ImageImage
Brain fanny burp missed that time to break out the file! :D I happen to like the sights as they are square, I shoot bad with a U notch, or a big Buckhorn type if the game is running. The big wings on a Buckhorn cover to much for my liking.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Thanks for catching my faux pas. Too many nectars! 1886.
grahng
Levergunner 2.0

Post by grahng »

As the Marbles bullseye has a 3/8" base, will that fit the Rossi Octagon barrel?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

grahng wrote:As the Marbles bullseye has a 3/8" base, will that fit the Rossi Octagon barrel?
I've put several in the Rossi's (octagon and round) and some fit snug enough with just a 'divet' or two punched in the dovetail flat and a gentle peen of the dovetail edge; more often I used a thin piece of metal to 'shim' underneath the sight - cut it small enough, and it won't be visible from the side or even from underneath. Probably some others on here have even better ways of dealing with 'US' vs. 'foreign' dovetails, but the shimming works well enough for my needs. You usually have to do it on the front sights, too, if you replace them.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

grahng wrote:As the Marbles bullseye has a 3/8" base, will that fit the Rossi Octagon barrel?
I don't think it will, mine measures .388 I already I checked must be a metric size.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

The newer Braztech Rossi rifles have the more traditional 3/8 dovetail. Older rifles with the larger dovetails can be shimmed. 1886.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Here's another thread of discussion of sights for Rossi (or Puma), with part numbers. You will see in that thread that I had to use a slightly taller sight than COSteve. I used Brownells 579-104-131 which is .410 tall. COSteve used 579-104-731 which is .375.
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... hilit=Puma
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

I'd like to know why all the rossi carbines, and winchesters too (except a few old ones) have the front sight behind the barrel band? Wouldn't it be better infront of the barrel band?
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

grahng,

Before you go to the expense of exchanging sights, you want to decide what load you're going to use most often in your rifle. Different bullet weights will strike at different points on the target face, and different bullet speeds will strike at different points. Develope your most accurate load, one that will satisfy your needs with this rifle most of the time, and then adjust/replace the sights as needed.
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Lobo wrote:grahng,

Before you go to the expense of exchanging sights, you want to decide what load you're going to use most often in your rifle. Different bullet weights will strike at different points on the target face, and different bullet speeds will strike at different points. Develope your most accurate load, one that will satisfy your needs with this rifle most of the time, and then adjust/replace the sights as needed.
Good advice. I shoot heavy for caliber projectiles out of my Braztech Rossi .357 Trapper. Mt.Baldy 200 KT bullets to be specific. I use a Marbles front sight .500" tall. I also replaced the rear sight with a unit that came from Uberti. I could not say what model or chambering. I found it at a gun show. Marbles does offer rear sights of assorted heights. Use your stock rear sight as a guide. Best Wishes, 1886.
Last edited by 1886 on Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Roland wrote:I'd like to know why all the rossi carbines, and winchesters too (except a few old ones) have the front sight behind the barrel band? Wouldn't it be better infront of the barrel band?
Nope, that way you can remove the bbl band and the mag without having to remove the front sight.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I personally like a receiver peep sight like the williams (which is what I have on my rossi .357)
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have never used a receiver peep sight, so I don't know anything about them. That Marble's bullseye looks like what I would want. I love my Skinner peep sight on my Guide Gun, and if Mr. Skinner makes one for a model '92 I'll get it, but the Marble's bullseye looks really good to me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

COSteve wrote:
Roland wrote:I'd like to know why all the rossi carbines, and winchesters too (except a few old ones) have the front sight behind the barrel band? Wouldn't it be better infront of the barrel band?
Nope, that way you can remove the bbl band and the mag without having to remove the front sight.
You still can remove the front band on a Winchester if you follow the directions in the shop manual. you just need to take the front band screw out, loosen the magazine plug screw so it doesnt touch the barrel itself, then take out the magazine. Then you'll be able to take that front band off and you won't have to touch the front sight or ramp at all.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

I've seen the ad for those new Marble's bullseye sights, and am thinking of one for my Rossi 92 trapper, instead of the usual Marbles semibuckhorn to replace that cheap Rossi rear sight. Has anyone yet had any actual shooting experience with the Marble's bullseye rear sight as placed on a levergun? I'd like to know some real-life pros and cons based upon shooting experience before I plunk my money down on one. I already know what the standard semibuckhorn works like, and ditto for receiver sights.
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

COSteve wrote:
Ah, didn't think of that, I only own a 9422 in the levergun categor so far, and on that you dont need to remove the front barrel band when taking it apart, as the magtube comes loose easily and then it's pretty easy to get the band over the ramp and sight if you want it off.

Also if anyone knows this, because it's been bugging me for a while, whats up with this 1892 carbine?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTrfFudFfyI

It has a barrel band forestock but no front barrel band, at the front it has a rifle style method of fastening the magtube instead. Why is this? Did winchester make them like that from factory for a reason, for a while before going to barrel bands (or vice versa), or is this an aftermarket modification mayhaps?
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Roland, in response to your question about that 92 with no front barrel band, that's something I noticed as well, on a pristine saddle ring 25-20 that my brother acquired a couple of years ago. No front band, but the tube is supported by a band dovetailed into the lower part of the barrel--the same arrangement you see on rifles with octagon barrels. That got me curious, and so I referred to a book I have: The History of Winchester Firearms, by Dean K. Boorman. The last chapter deals with collectible Winnies, and on page 116, lo and behold is a color photo of a 25-20 carbine exactly like my brothers, with that same dovetailed front band. I can only conclude that this was the way the factory supported the front band on certain 92 carbines at some point. I don't have any further references right here at home, but maybe somebody more into collecting old Winchesters than I am can chime in.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jlchucker wrote:I've seen the ad for those new Marble's bullseye sights, and am thinking of one for my Rossi 92 trapper, instead of the usual Marbles semibuckhorn to replace that cheap Rossi rear sight. Has anyone yet had any actual shooting experience with the Marble's bullseye rear sight as placed on a levergun? I'd like to know some real-life pros and cons based upon shooting experience before I plunk my money down on one. I already know what the standard semibuckhorn works like, and ditto for receiver sights.
Here's a brief 'range report' from a post of mine on reloading .44 Mag - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=21695
Today we shot my daughter's Puma - a 16" 44 Mag, with the Marble's Bullseye sight. The sight was the right height without installing the elevator, which is fine with me; no new front needed that way, and less to 'go wrong' - we'll tune it for the one load anyway, and just use that.

The gun:

The sight picture (vs. what you lose with normal 'open' rear sights):

Image Image

(above photos taken with gold bead front vs. current fiberoptic)

The 50 yd. groups - check "B" out...!

Looks like it also likes the mid-range ("B") loads best ("B" = 20.3 grains Alliant 2400 + 240 grain Rem JSP + Rem 2-1/2 LP Standard primer in Winchester Brass COL 1.580" with Lee Factory Crimp after RCBS seater).
A few additional comments of experience since then...

1. The Marbles Bullseye sight is spring-steel that is extremely tough. I think you would have a very hard time damaging the sight with any rough handling.

2. I figured that out because in order to make it easier to set the sight in place once sighted in for windage, I had to use a carbide bit to drill out the two holes in front of and behind the dovetail, so I could put a center punch to the dovetail lips in the barrel, and really secure the sight in place. (Another option on the short Rossis is they are D&T'd for a 'scout' scope mount, and you could drill the Marbles over one or two of those holes and actually have it adjust by sliding laterally - maybe drill slightly oversized hole - and then the screw/washer you put in could tighten down and lock in windage that way; washers/shims under the sight and the rearmost screw could make for a very snug, reproducible, and reliable elevation adjustment too... 8) .)

3. Range experience since that time on several other guns has been similar - the sight enables typically 2" groups at 50 yards, which is as good as I can shoot with any non-scoped gun that has a sight suitable for hunting (super-fancy - and fragile - small-aperture, large disk, tang sights are more accurate, but to get the group down to 3/4" or 1" off the bench vs. 2"-3" standing doesn't help when hunting or doing pest control. If I want to go varmint-shooting or whatever I'll probably use my .22 Hornet bolt gun anyway.

4. It got my daughter a nice deer... :mrgreen:

jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Thanks, AJMD. That's a decent group. Excellent photos, too. Congratulations to your daughter on the deer. This is just the info I was looking for. I'll end up putting one of those on one of my Rossi's, both of which I group at 50 yards. You're right--these are woods/bumming around guns, and not really something to use at long ranges. There are other guns that are designed for the latter.
grahng
Levergunner 2.0

Post by grahng »

I can see!!!!!!!!!!
Put a tang sight on my Rossi and darned if I can't see the front sight again. Can't wait to get to the range. Thank you all for the recommendation.
I have to say it was an easy install for the Rossi. I have a 73 model ordered and for sure will be putting one on it as well. Can some one confirm though, I think the front screw for the 73 will have to be D&T???? Right???