WHat finish to use on Remington Stock?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

WHat finish to use on Remington Stock?

Post by Joel »

I have stripped and lightly sanded a stock for a Rem 700. The wood has very nice grain, and strangely enough the color goes from red to light blonde. I don't want a glossy lacquer finish, would prefer a clear oil that added a little red maybe. Not trying to appear original at all. Any suggestions? Something I can get from the local hardware store would be preferred.

Thanks

Joel
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: WHat finish to use on Remington Stock?

Post by iceman »

I always like boiled linseed oil. Rub it in vigourously let it sit for a day or two and repeat. I have also applied a healthy coat of oil and rubbed with super fine emery paper to make a slurry of wood dust and oil. This really fills in the pores of the wood. Wipe it down, reapply the oil and rub in with your hand until it feels warm. Let it dry well and repeat until you are happy with the appearance. You can't be in a hurry but makes a great finish in my opinion.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Boiled linseed is a traditional finish and used by many. I don`t care to wait the 30 years it takes for it to dry and the fact it gives almost no protection against water. I use Permalin oil finish available almost everywhere fine gun products are sold. Brownells and Midway sell it.
Here is an example of how it looks on a Hawken.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Beautiful rifle, Chuck.
Old Law Dawg
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joel »

:shock: Wow Chuck, very nice.

Is that color from the wood?
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Birchwood Casey TruOil is my favorite. Inexpensive, readily available (Wal Mart), easy to apply, fast-drying, and you can get any sort of finish you like, from a classic handrubbed oil look to a high-gloss finish that some like. Very tough finish, too, and easy to touch up when it gets the inevitable scuffs and dings.
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joel »

Pisgah wrote:Birchwood Casey TruOil is my favorite. Inexpensive, readily available (Wal Mart), easy to apply, fast-drying, and you can get any sort of finish you like, from a classic handrubbed oil look to a high-gloss finish that some like. Very tough finish, too, and easy to touch up when it gets the inevitable scuffs and dings.

Is that a clear finish? Ive seen it for sale, says it fills grain too.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Joel , That stock is maple. Maple needs a stain to bring out the figure. I mixed Cherry colored Anolin (sp?) die with some dark Walnut die to give it the red tint and then about 10-12 coats of the Permalyn. Only 3-4 drops are need to give this stock a complete coat once the stock is filled.

True oil is also a very good finish. and the Permalyn is based with Linseed as is the True oil. They have driers and thinners added to get them to dry and ( I understand) polymers to make it water proof or as close as you can get with a hand rubbed type of finish.

Good stuff!! :D
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7785 ... H___SEALER
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Waaterlox.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com