OT: Don't put it off - get a colonoscopy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Don't put it off - get a colonoscopy

Post by olyinaz »

So let's just say it: who the heck wants to talk about or even consider a doggone colonoscopy? NO ONE. OK, we've got that out of the way now and if you'll give me several seconds I'd like to regale you with a true tale.

I have a family history of GI problems mostly having to do with GERD (fancy way of saying that I've had heartburn as a constant companion since I was a kid). As such, my doc suggested that I get on the colonoscopy wagon early as opposed to waiting until age 50 to start (I'm 45). You can guess how thrilled I was. Long story short: I had my first one this past week and the doc discovered two large pre-cancerous polyps in my colon that he says would have almost certainly been full fledged colon cancer by the time I was 50. A colonoscopy is lacking in fun but CANCER is a thrill ride you don't want to take and might not ever get off of.

So a few words to the wise: get it done earlier than later. It's not terribly expensive, it's not terribly inconvenient (you'll need to miss one, maybe 1.5 days of work), it's not terribly scary, it IS, however, a LIFE SAVER if you catch something early! So git 'er done!!

Nuff said.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Don't put it off - get a colonoscopy

Post by O.S.O.K. »

May I suggest taking fish oil suppliments if you aren't already?

The only reason that I say this is that I had everything checked on the wet side a couple years ago - urinary tract, full blood work, etc. and it all came out exceptional (brag brag). The reason I had it done is that I found a little blood in the tighty whitey's. Scared the stuff out of me.

As it turns out, the fish oil can cause that :oops:

But, it also helps all of the epidural cells in your body - I bet this includes the GI tract...

It certainly doesn't hurt and has all kinds of other beneficial aspects to it including lowering your bad cholesterol.

Just saying - since you brought it up.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That is good advice. A buddy at work got colon cancer and survived but it was hell. He is still not 50. His experience put the fear of God into everyone and I think all of us have had one now. Two more of us had polyps that the docs said would likely have gotten them if they had waited until they were 50. I woke up swinging on my anesthesiologist but he wasn't mad. He said a lot guys do and he was ready. :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

[...rant deleted... :oops: ...but serious part kept...]

Basically, don't just act "passive", and wait for your doctor to 'suggest' what you need. We've become so used to consumers who value 'cheap' vs. 'the best', that we don't push hard or sometimes even bother advising most patients on what they actually should do for the BEST preventative care - there's lots of stuff out there that saves lives but is unpleasant or seems (or is) too expensive. Colonoscopy is definitely on the list, many times even before age 50. Get into your primary care doctor, and schedule a SERIOUS sit-down with them to map out a reasonable preventative health-care plan for yourself and your family. They can only help give you the best care if that's what they realize you want.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon May 10, 2010 5:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Dang it. I'm going to be 49 in a few days... I guess I should get this done.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Well, I finally got 'er done two weeks ago.. I'm 63 & never had one.. Good news, no polyps! ..The bad news.. All woman team... :o :roll: Doc said cause I’m overweight & have sleep apnea, .... Wait for it... Whoopeeee No anesthesia!.. :shock: Nothing .. Zip .. Nada!...Got to watch it on TV tho.. :lol: No pain until the sharp turns in the colon came along... Made me yelp at the first turn ...I figured all of these women had prolly all bore a child...so I didn’t want to look like too much of a wuss with something as minor (comparatively) as a colonoscopy and hung in there ..The whole thing was done in less fifteen minutes... No pain on removal of the orthoscope.. So any of yall that's overweight, my example may help you lose some if you're due for a colonoscopy..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I had my first one last year. They found a polyp and removed same. The report I got from the hospital folks said no cancer, but it could have developed into it.
Same report from the DR I'm going to. They want me to do another one in 3 years.

This one cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $4200.00 or more. Like AJMD says I owe around $1500 I can't pay.

So it's doubtful I'll have another one in 3 years unless something really major on the positive side changes in my life.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Well I'm really glad to hear that some of you "get it" (the whole prevention thing) and I'm also glad that a few of you are "saves" (to use a term in my biz) like I am now. Honestly, not much more one can say about it than IT'S A WIN.

>>FYI - when screening colonoscopies were NOT a 'covered' service, you had to write a check for $225 of your OWN money, every TEN years, and could go when and where your doctor advised. NOW they're "covered", you often have to write a check for a $1,000 "deductible" or "co-pay" or whatever, and the OTHER $2,500 is graciously "covered" by your insurance (which likely pays a token $200 or so, which combined with your payment, is accepted by the provider as payment-in-full); and of course, you can ONLY go to a 'covered' provider, and it is only allowed when the bureaucrats say so. You can thank all your 'union' buddies for pushing for more 'coverage' for creating the present state of affairs...<<<

Look, I don't work in your field but I DO work in a union job, I'm the local rep for my class & kraft, and all I'm going to THANK MY UNION for is the fact that I've got good Blue Cross/Blue Shield heath insurance and my part of the 80/20 was something like $325 for the whole kit + kaboodle because I haven't hit my yearly $1500 limit yet. I realize that's not chump change but the cost of a cheap gun to save my life? I'll take that trade. If the doc got stiffed out of the deal some how that's not great but his office and his $90,000 Mercedes doesn't make me think he's doing all that poorly (not that I begrudge him that fancy car one bit). If the system is broke it's dang sure not my union's fault - we're just trying to live within it like everyone else so please spread the Blame Game around instead of pointing fingers at the working stiffs of this country who are just trying to maintain as they slip farther and farther backwards. You want to get into a "poor me" contest don't even get me started on what I make today vs. ten years ago!!

And with that said LET IT GO and please don't hi-jack this thread! It's supposed to be about the wisdom and just flat out GOOD SENSE involved in getting colon screening EARLY. That's my point and that's where I'd like this to stay.

Thanks,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Doc said cause I’m overweight & have sleep apnea, .... Wait for it... Whoopeeee No anesthesia!
Egads!! Well, they told me that they've switched to some new fangled thing over the last two years and I would be blissfully out cold and sure enough I was. I'm not sure what part the lipstick on my face and hand marks on my shoulders played in the whole proceedure, I'm sure it was technical, but the doc told me not to worry about it. :mrgreen:

Hardy har,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I had my first one about three months ago. I was out like a lamb. No polyps, nothing. The second one isn't suggested until I turn 60. The only pain I had was the stuff I took to clean myself out. What a pain. The rest of it was a piece of cake. Get'er done guys and gals. You really don't want to deal with the aftermath of not finding out sooner.
Old Law Dawg
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

olyinaz wrote:
Doc said cause I’m overweight & have sleep apnea, .... Wait for it... Whoopeeee No anesthesia!
Egads!! Well, they told me that they've switched to some new fangled thing over the last two years and I would be blissfully out cold and sure enough I was. I'm not sure what part the lipstick on my face and hand marks on my shoulders played in the whole proceedure, I'm sure it was technical, but the doc told me not to worry about it. :mrgreen:

Hardy har,
Oly
When they did mine they also checked out my stomach from the top as well. I told them either they put me out totally or I wouldn't do it.
I'm not overweight ... I'm just FAT. They got me all hooked up with an IV thing and we were chatting a bit when they injected the anesthesia. I came to in the recovery room continuing on with the same conversation. I didn't realize I'd been out until I saw I was in a different location. To say the least that was a bit disorienting, but not bad really.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

My brother died of colon cancer at 53. The doc said that if he had had the colonoscopy at 50, he'd have had a different path.

Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

My younger brother died in 2003 from colon cancer. He was 62. Way too young. He fought it for 7 years before it got him. I have had Colitus for many years. After his death I was put on a short lease (once a year) for colonoscopies. Twice they have found pre-cancerous polyps. In short, don't put that lifesaving proceedure off if you are 50 or older. I've been polyp free for 6 years so now at 75, they have lengthened out my next test to two years.
Yes, getting ready is has a bit of discomfort. But the proceedure is a snap. They sedate you, that's the easiest way. Someone does have to drive you home. But I'm fine as soon as I get something to eat. Is your life worth 12-15 hours of fasting every 5 years, I think so!
Colon cancer does not have to kill you now days. Don't put it off!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

20cows, cool picture! That holster you are wearing, is that an El Paso Saddlery 1880? My most used holster, and it is WELL used, is an 1880.

I have a family history of colon cancer. My Grandfather died of it, my brother had 2 pre-cancerous polyps removed at 40, so at 48 figured it was past time. Luckily I was slicker'n a whistle. But the wife was just mentioning tonight that I need to get back in and get checked out again. Kind of 'stem to stern' type of lookin' over :wink:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

That's a great lookin' getup there 20cows. I'm very sorry to hear about your brother.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

When they did mine they also checked out my stomach from the top as well.
Yep, they did that to me as well. Thank God I was good to go up top. Esophageal cancer is a bad ride I don't want to experience.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ben_Rumson wrote:The bad news.. All woman team... :o :roll: ..
Same here - plus one of 'em was one of my patients... :?

olyinaz wrote:And with that said LET IT GO and please don't hi-jack this thread! It's supposed to be about the wisdom and just flat out GOOD SENSE involved in getting colon screening EARLY. That's my point and that's where I'd like this to stay.
Sorry, didn't intend to 'hijack'.
I get emotional about the topic because I've lost several friends, a fellow physician, and several patients, who waited until after 50, hoping to 'stretch' the age recommendation, and much of it they rationalized due to the cost of the procedure, so I'm not real thrilled with any of the forces (including greedy MD's) which have raised the costs so much beyond reason. Even at $3,000 it is still a 'bargain' for an every-ten-year life-saver.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I should probably get one. I turn 46 this Sunday, and was diagnosed with irritable bowell when I was in my mid 20's. I don't think I've had a week in my life since my late teens without at least one episode of severe "digestion problems", if you know what I mean. I've had more weeks than I care to remember where I couldn't eat anything without becoming ill on the other end for days at a time.

Yep, need to do this...
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

been there and done that....and the stuff they make you drink...
OMG....with all the great advances in medical science...
Cant they make that stuff taste like BEER!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

kimwcook wrote:I had my first one about three months ago. I was out like a lamb. No polyps, nothing. The second one isn't suggested until I turn 60. The only pain I had was the stuff I took to clean myself out. What a pain. The rest of it was a piece of cake. Get'er done guys and gals. You really don't want to deal with the aftermath of not finding out sooner.
I've been through this four times already. Three times they found (benign) polyps, which they removed on the spot. So I'm on the three-year plan, and I'm going on 66 now. I had a great-uncle several years ago, and they caught his colon cancer, but not before they had to practically gut him like a fish. He wore a bag for the rest of his life. You're right about the stuff you take the day before to clean yourself out. Not painful, really--but nothing to look forward to, either. The upside of that day-before prep is that nobody will be truthfully able to say to you that you're full of s**t. You'll never feel a polyp forming. You'll probably feel it after it becomes cancerous, though. By then it's too late. After-effects of having a colonoscopy? When somebody brings you back from the hospital (same day, polyp removal or not) you'll be so groggy that you'll most likely take a nap for a couple of hours. That's it. No pain, and no more running to the crapper like the day before, either.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I got it from both ends about 2 years ago. I'd had an upper before (10 years) as I've had stomach troubles for a long time. A couple pollips removed in mine, otherwise, good to go. Doc said see you in another 10 years as there is no history in my family.

The wife (45) had one last Thursday, the doctor had an accident victim come in, so we didn't get to talk after, but should get the results today.

If you are over 40 it really needs done.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have had two of them and, as a cancer survivor, I may have them every couple of years, but what is the alternative? No problem, aside from the abominable gunk you must drink to cleanse the bowel, it's a walk in the park. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

My Mother died of colon cancer at 62, so when I turned 45 my good friend who was my DR also got me to get one done, two polyps - snip they are gone. So it was three years till I got my next one, had the second one done also showed two poyps - snip gone. I had the third done three years after that one, clean this time! I am still on the every three year list. It IS EASY! AND can save your life, WHY NOT GET IT DONE? Now I am almost 56 and due again in one year for my forth one. You will pay more if you get cancer than the test will cost.
Last edited by dkmlever on Mon May 10, 2010 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

dkmlever wrote:My Mother died of colon cancer at 62, so when I turned 45 my good friend and DR got me to get one done, two polyps, so I was on the three year list, had the secon one two poyps, had the third one clean this time still on the three year list, it IS EASY! AND can save your life, WHY NOT GET IT DONE? Now I am almost 56 and due again in one year for my forth one. You will pay more if you get cancer than the test will cost.
I agree with you, DKM. It's nothing to look forward to but the alternative could be heaven or hell--the latter probably on earth for some years. Those that worry about the cost, just consider whether the procedure is going to cost you more or less than what a funeral would cost your family. One famous individual who passed up on a colonoscopy was the famous football coach Vince Lombardi. Once diagnosed with colon cancer, he lasted a year or so--probably an unpleasant year or so to say the least. Needless death IMO.
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

Last April 2nd I had surgery for colon cancer. This was 4 days after a colonoscopy and a biopsy revealed 2 malignant polyps. I was lucky....I did not have to have chemotherapy or radiation treatments. I have another colonoscopy scheduled for June 21 of this year. I was 72 before the colonoscopy last year. I was extemely lucky. Don't hesitate about having one. I'm alive because of the procedure.

Happy trails.
Happy Trails!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

The guy in the pic was my brother.

I inherited the horse and saddle.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Doc,

Read your "rant" before you deleted it, and totally agree with you. While not a doc, I'm in health care myself and know that it's all about the MONEY. Sounds like you'd be a great guy to work for.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I've been through it all boys. I suspect I've had just about every test run that they know to run. I've got colitis (hereditary) and take medication daily for that. I had the acid reflux so bad that it nearly killed me, literally. I had stomach valve surgery in 2001 (I was 41) to fix that. Between those two ailments I've been through some of the damnedest tests you've ever heard of, from both ends.

I also have sleep apnea and have had throat surgery for that, but it only worked for a couple of years, now I have the apnea again, but probably not as severe as before. Can't wear a CPAP as I ingest the air, that leads to whole nuther set of troubles.

Thank goodness my heart is in good shape, so far, and no cancer, so far. Luckily cancer doesn't run in my family at all.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I had my first two years ago at 55, luckily got a clean bill. Actually the surgeon who performed the procedure told me I had colon of a 7 year old. So I told my family doc what he said and since he wanted a base line at 50, the way I had it figured, I didn't need another for 43 years. No I won't wait that long, but he did get a laugh out of it.