Hole (pit) in my 9422 barrel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hammerman
Levergunner 1.0

Hole (pit) in my 9422 barrel

Post by hammerman »

I just cleaned my 9422 xtr 22LR made in the 70's, and I found a hole in the raised part of the rifling about 6" from the muzzle end. The hole is kind of like a cherry shape, with a circle and a small tail coming off of it.

Does anyone think this could hurt the accuracy? I haven't been able to shoot it and see because the wind has been blowing hard.

Has anyone seen this before? The gun has been well taken care of, and I live in NM where there isn't any humidity.

Thanks.
Only Winchester levers, one custom 356 top eject bigbore
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Hole (pit) in my 9422 barrel

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Does a brush hesitate a bit as you pass it slowly over the spot?.

With pitting you do not know what effect it will have until you shoot the gun. Whenever pitted guns are shot at the range, some guns and loads seem profoundly effected and others seem only mildly so, and others are as accurate as ever.

As the pitting is not near the muzzle, and it is a lower velocity firearm you may be OK.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: Hole (pit) in my 9422 barrel

Post by iceman »

Strange indeed to have a pit like that in your climate. Maybe a bug of some sort died in there and body fluids ate the steel (acidic). I guess only shooting will tell.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.