Marlins to be built in Kentucky?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Marlins to be built in Kentucky?

Post by ceb »

Heard a news story today, Remington officials, the Gov of Ky and local officials announced an expansion of Remingtons firearm plant in Mayfield Ky. Story mentioned the closing of the Marlin plant but did not specifically say they was moving production to Kentucky, its an assumption (and you know all about assumptions) of mine. They did say they would add about 100 jobs. I still need a job, but thats about 80-90mi south of me, a little far to commute.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Marlins to be built in Kentucky?

Post by Bigahh »

If that is the case, I would hope they would give some of the employees from the Closed Marlin Plant an option to move there with a new job!
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

They might be moving PART OF the closed plant to KY. I'm guessing the H&R part.
Certified gun nut
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

H&R's in Illion, doubt it's going anywhere.
Denis
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

My info maybe old, but heard they were moving to the Carolinas. Still hope they would give the old employees a chance to move and retain their jobs. Even better if they can create work for locals in their new location as well as.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I thought they had announced Ilion as the location. Apparently I was wrong, from Marlin's site:
Madison, NC –The Freedom Group, Inc., announced the closure of its Marlin manufacturing facility, located in North Haven, Connecticut. The transition of Marlin firearms production in North Haven to a future site will not affect customers’ shipments or the range of Marlin product offerings. At the time of last Thursday’s announcement, the Freedom Group was still evaluating several relocation options and will announce the future production site of Marlin firearms when the final decision is made.

“As competition in today’s global marketplace remains intense, consolidation of our manufacturing processes and operating systems allow us to provide Marlin customers with the highest quality products at competitive prices,” said Ted Torbeck, Freedom Group’s Chief Executive Officer. “We are committed to the Marlin brand, its core product offerings and bringing innovative new Marlin firearms to our customers.”
I know my boss, in spite of the above statement, expects production of certain models to be out of the question for a while. He's bought up several of the 1894CS.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

>My info maybe old, but heard they were moving to the Carolinas.

If this is true, it is a well-kept secret, indeed. Remington has no production facilities in NC or SC, just a headquarters in Madison, NC. I think this rumor may have gotten started as a distorted offshoot of the rumor that FN may make the Winchester 94 at their Columbia, SC plant where they are making the Model 70.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

At the time sources, including one highly placed gun blog, wrote that Ilion was going to get Marlin, the NYS budget was "due any day", and big green was saying "within two weeks" they would have an announcement. Well, the NYS leadership is (for the Nth time) behind in their work, the budget overdue since 4/1, so any deal that was contingent upon economic development lulus, tax breaks, etc may still be pending that budget. Remington isn't gonna publicly commit until they get whatever they were promised on paper is my guess.....
Certified gun nut
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I do not know guys?? Read this article??

http://www.uticaod.com/highlight/x19204 ... ngton-Arms

This article imples that they are moving the Marlin mfg. to New York?? So who knows?? So far I have heard SC, and NY. Now you guys think KY is in the running?? We will see. Tom.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

As first reported by Wolf Bane, Big green will bring Marlin to their Ilion NY plant. Here's the caption from the photo taken at a press conference yesterday.

"Freedom Group COO Joseph Gross, left, and State Assemblyman Marc Butler, R-Newport, right, listen as Ilion Mayor Mark Cushman speaks during the announcement of a 100 job expansion to the Ilion Remington Arms plant, Tuesday, May 11, 2010, in Ilion"

I guess it is a done deal. Now they say the JOBS will take 9 to 12 mos, so I expect big green will be taking time to get machinery in place, etc. Lets hope they got plenty of stock and parts to tide us over......
Certified gun nut
TwoCup
Levergunner

Post by TwoCup »

From a Remington employee at the NRA Convention:

Marlin centerfires will be moving to Ilion.

Marlin rimfires will be moving to Kentucky.

TwoCup
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

TwoCup wrote:From a Remington employee at the NRA Convention:

Marlin centerfires will be moving to Ilion.

Marlin rimfires will be moving to Kentucky.

TwoCup

Havent heard anything about the rimfires going to a seperate place, but according to a couple friends who work there they are mostly moving to Ilion. I wish them all the best but its hard to be optimistic when a company that cant turn a profit gets ahold of one that does and instead of learning from them immediately goes about changing everything.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

I have two separate PR releases from Remington.

Leverguns going to Ilion, "certain other" Marlin lines will be going to Mayfield in Kentucky after the plant there is expanded.

Denis