Marlin tang sight differences?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin tang sight differences?

Post by Rebel1972 »

What is the difference in the Marlin 94 and the 336/95 reciever that would make it use different tang sights?I have a 45-70 cowboy that I'd like to put a tang sight on but I dont like the lyman because it doesn't have windage .Marbles has different tang sights for the different recievers but I think the big blocky base looks funny for the 95.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Not sure, Post what you find out, Please! :D
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Marlin tang vs tang...

Post by Old No7 »

Please trust me on this...

If you get the Marble's tang sight meant for the Marlin 1894 and mount it on a Marlin 336/95, it will mount OK with just the rear screw and look and feel great! UNTIL that is, until you try to cycle the bolt! &%$#@!!!

The longer bolt of the 336/95 action will NOT clear the 1894 tang sight.

(Don't ask me how I know... But thank goodness I checked the cycling of the bolt before I attempted to drill the front hole...)

Like you, I think the Marble's base for the Marlin 1894 tang is sleeker and it leaves more room for the thumb -- but as noted, not for the bolt!

See this post by me on this forum, which shows the "big blocky base" as you called it -- that was my concern too -- but I've gotten use to it on my 336 Cowboy.

viewtopic.php?t=1535&highlight=marlin

Good luck. (And don't drill any holes until you're sure what you've selected will fit...)

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Thanks no7! :shock:
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

Thats exactly what I needed to know.Thanks.I would like to see a picture of a Marlin cowboy with the leatherwood malcolm long scope attached.I wonder if it would make it unhandy to carry?