Most consistent velocity .357 loads in a rifle.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Most consistent velocity .357 loads in a rifle.

Post by Old Savage »

Has any one tested this??
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Wouldn't it just be the most accurate load? Aren't the differences in poi due to velocity differences? What else is there, once it leaves the muzzle?

If so, it's going to vary from gun to gun. I just finished some tests with 2400, and 10.0 gr is very accurate in my .357 Marlin and 10.5 grains is the best in my .357 Win Legacy. I don't have a chrony, I'm just going by group size. But the best groups were 10 rounds all touching at 25 yards.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

sobenk wrote:Wouldn't it just be the most accurate load? Aren't the differences in poi due to velocity differences? What else is there, once it leaves the muzzle?
You would think so, but that is not always the case. I have had loads that had very large extreme spreads in velocity that were very accurate. Just the opposite can be true as well.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I find that accurate loads are ultimately the most useful even if the average deviation of velocity is higher than with some other load. Every gun is different.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

I've tested a number of loads in my .357 Marlin Cowboy Ltd.

The most consistant was: 165 gr. Lyman 358665 (cowboy bullet) /16.5 RL-7 (capacity load) / WSPM primer. Bullet alloy: w.w.+2& tin.

Velocities were: 1400/1390/1395/1398/1399

It was very accurate too! :D 5 shot .6" group @ 50 yards. :D

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Sobenk, what else is there? - Rick Jamison published some research showing that the most consitent pressure at bullet exit is generally the most accurate. This is not always the most consistent in velocity.

He used an Oehler 43 with a strain gauge to develop the data.
Last edited by Old Savage on Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

My most consistent with both velocity and accuracy is a Remington 158gr JSP over 17gr Lil'gun w/ Winchester SP and Remington Cases

In both my 357mag Trappers they are dead on giving 2" and less at 100yds at around 1790fps. Last I checked SD was about 12fps

One does shoot about 15fps but still gives the same accuracy.