How do you hang your rifle on the wall for display?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Moonlitin
Levergunner

How do you hang your rifle on the wall for display?

Post by Moonlitin »

How do you guys hang a rifle on the wall for display? Have any of you tried the Hoppes solid brass hangers, or do you just make a single rifle rack from a few small pieces of oak, pine, or whatever matches your room?

My son picked up this fake Winchester 1873 and wants to display it with the factory letter for the real one in the safe.

Thanks

Moonlitin
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

For his room I'd find some wood brackets that match his furniture.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

I won't display a firearm, real or not, in my home. Word gets around, and somebody wants in when you're not home. I don't even want gun related items in view of an exterior window.
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

That is an interesting thought. I've got two BB rifles displayed on my bedroom wall. I use the Hoppes brass wall hooks, and man are they a pain in the butt to get mounted properly. Anyway, one of the BB rifles is my Dad's Red Ryder rifle from when he was a little boy. The other one is my BB rifle from when I was a kid. Only person who goes in that room besides immediate family is the housekeeper, and she knows already that there are guns and rifles in this house, and she was a reference for me on my CCW permit application! Having said that, I think it is one thing to have a rifle on the wall of a bedroom, but it is quite another thing to hang up a factory letter that implies that there's a valuable rifle sitting right there, hanging on the wall. Then again, it's probably no big deal since anyone coming to do work at the house would probably see the darn safe, anyway.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

homefront wrote:I won't display a firearm, real or not, in my home. Word gets around, and somebody wants in when you're not home. I don't even want gun related items in view of an exterior window.
+1 Only "guns" I have displayed are the Red Ryders in my son's room, and a reproduction Charleville over my office door - which can't be seen except from my the inside of my office.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

homefront wrote:I won't display a firearm, real or not, in my home. Word gets around, and somebody wants in when you're not home. I don't even want gun related items in view of an exterior window.
+2

Unless I trust someone implicitly, they don't know I have a firearm at all.

That said, the brass brackets or wood should do the trick nicely. You could also check the local taxidermist to see if they do the "hoof brackets".
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Ysabel Kid wrote: and a reproduction Charleville over my office door - which can't be seen except from my the inside of my office.

Back when, an old girlfriend hung up one of her "people targets" (I forget what those targets are really called) on the inside of her office (family business) door. :wink: She wasn't a bad shot.

Otherwise, I take it out of the safe when I want to look at something.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

Image This is my Henry .22.My wife had to take a welding class in college an she built a towel rack and a toilet paper holder.I confiscated the towel rack. :lol:
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I have an 1860 Colt Replica (Pietta) that I keep out in my basement. Its been there for years and seldom draws any attention. Both of my kids are pretty much gun broke and know that if they want to see any rifle or pistol that I will take them out and let them see it at any time they ask. I will also let them go and shoot it when we get the time available, so with my kids, guns are no curiousity. If I were you I would be sure to frame that certificate nice and pretty and then find a set of old buffalo horns and mount them to a couple of pieces of oak and mount them on the wall. Your son is proud of his new aquisition and I seriously doubt that anything bad will come from it.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Antlers!

I found a bunch of shed antlers and I'm going to make a gun rack out of them.

However, it will be a vertical rack, for cleaning guns. I will keep them in the safe otherwise, not displayed.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I make mine out of some oak board, and install metal slot hangers on the back for hanging. Here's a photo of the pieces (the cut-out if for a cable lock ...

and here's a photo of some finished ones ....
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Me too.

No one should know 'til they see the muzzle flash.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

All my guns are on a need to see basis. Not very many people need to see them, therefor I keep them in my safe.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

I feel the same way most of you do about leaving Weapons out. I do however think that I would like to display some of my leverguns when we have a gathering at the house. In this instance I would need something to hang them on or a display cabinet. I definately would not leave them there but would have them out when certain people come over. Is this dumb? I do know that I like to show off my guns to friends who come over and even take them shooting. Like the bedroom gun. At this time it is a handgun. I was considering getting one of those small Wally world gun cabinets for my room. This way my grandson has no access but if we go out I can put it in the safe. Oh well who knows.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I've always had my rifles on display for the past 40 years. I like to be able to appreciate them all the time and I like the atmosphere they create by hanging on the wall. That being said, I'm more conservative in my elder years and display them only in my office, which is locked most time and certainly whenever there are guests. My children know not to mention that Dad has guns. Actually, there is an ancient 22 rimfire Hopkins and Allen hanging in the pool room on the wall, but that's the only 'public' gun on display outside my office. I do live in a rural area where guns are pretty common. If I lived in a high crime area they'd be locked in a safe most times.
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

I leave one replica blackpowder rifle displayed on brass hangers. After losing a house to a fire years ago, I do not leave my firearms outside the fire-resistant gun safe. The exceptions are those few that are kept very handy for quick access. You might want to check the fine print on your insurance policy to make sure your firearms are not specifically excluded.
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Win94 »

I like Kirk D's idea but have plans to change it up a bit. I have some antlers from a few spiker bucks from years gone by and will use those as the hanger brackets treated with a bit of tung oil. thinking of using some nice cherry wood for the board.
"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne -
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Win94, antlers will be very nice, but put some thick felt on the bearing surface. I've found from experience that hard antler can dent the wood stock.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Here in The Demokratic Peoples Republik of Hawaii it is law that all firearms be locked up at all times when not in use. I also don't want anyone knowing I own firearms except on a need to know basis. They stay very well secured and out of sight.