Big Horn Armory

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Advanced Levergunner

Big Horn Armory

Post by 1886 »

Hi All, I have not posted in a while. I hope everyone is great. I have had my eye captured by Big Horn's offerings. Any feedback would be much appreciated. I have heard this is Frank E's company. If so, I know him quite well and will drop him a line. Thanks in advance for your thoughts. God Bless, 1886.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Big Horn Armory

Post by C. Cash »

Welcome back 1886. There was some discussion on this a while back:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... t=Big+Horn

Not sure how available it is at this point. I would sure love to have one.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Thanks for the welcome back. I was wondering if anyone has any "real world" experience with this product. I understand they may not be available at this time? The carbine has my eye! Thanks all, 1886.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I wish. I'd like to get one, too.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Your Welcome 1886! Also see:
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... y&start=20

Jeff Quinn is holding the carbine on page 2, and there is a link somewhere with him shooting it briefly. I'm with you on the carbine. That girl has all the right curves. :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Tom Richardson
Shootist

Post by Tom Richardson »

Frank had his new guns at Raton last week.
We all, who wanted, got to try them.
The rifles shoot well, recoil is not bad, accuracy is good.
Frank is still tweaking, mostly cosmetics. He will have a nice product.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I may get flamed here, but it looks "clunky" to me. I guess the combination of the pistol grip stock and the fat forearm makes it look that way in my eye.
Maybe the difference to me is like the difference between the slender young women of my day and the somewhat less slender modern young women of today.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FLAME ON ! ! ;) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think that's one reason I'd prefer a straight grip. However, in comparing Boge Quinn's photos and those used at the Bighorn Armory website, the gun looks much better in Boge's photos. Different prototype? I don't know. Looks better for certain.

Then again, to my mind, the Winchester 64s and 71s look a lot like that and I wouldn't turn down one of them either!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am still interested in the rifle. The price is making me hesitate, but for what it is, I probably will go ahead and save up enough for it. The .50 S&W seems to have enough power in the specification lists to take any game I would ever consider hunting, including water buffalo. In a reliable levergun it would be a great trouble stopper, or at least I think it would.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I had a chance to visit with Frank today. He expects to start shipping in August. He said he has about 5000 rounds through his gun. His load consists of a healthy but not max. charge of H-110 under a Mt.Baldy 450gr KT bullet for about 1750fps out of the carbine. Sounds like a nice product that is fairly priced. Very tempting. God Bless, 1886.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

*My Flame Suit Is On* :wink:

Is there any real advantage over a Guide Gun shooting Garrett-level loads?

I totally recognize the advantage of having a long gun of the same caliber of your .500 shooter... :!:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Blaine,

Does it really matter if there is an advantage?
Sincerely,

Hobie

kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I'm for a straight grip too. If their product is successful and enough of us hound them to make this an offering as well, maybe they'll do it. Might only take one gun writer (like our good friend Mr Quinn) to run it by them and they will oblige.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It's a nice looking rifle to me, but personally if I wanted a big thumper I'd go for an '86 in .45-70.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

The straight grip was my initial thought as well, and prefer it on my levers. However, after having stared at it for while, that pistol grip shape really makes the rifle stand out...it gives a is very classy looking shape that balances with the rest of the rifle. A straight grip would look like any other short 92 or 86 at first glance. Not a bad thing, but the rifle is unique enough that it begs for something a little different. I think they nailed it. At least on that little short carbine. I like Buck's straight grip on his long oct. barreled 86/92, though....that looks more right with the longer barrel.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hobie wrote:Blaine,

:P Sorry, I lost my head.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Hobie wrote:Blaine,

True --- rifle development could have stopped with the .30-06 also because that will do 99% of the things most people need to do for the most part, but what a boring world that would be. (off topic, but the old '06 still rivals and bests more than a few of the new Super Short Mags out there)

I'd love to have a .500 lever , but rumored $2k prices keep me from caring too much. If somebody says it is equivalent in quality to a Freedom Arms product or something, i may pay more attention
----- Doug
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I saw the gun at the Cody show today. It looks pretty darn good. One reason the action may look different to us is the lever/trigger guard are a little oversize, for large hands/gloves. The gun feels shorter and lighter than the 86's. Not just barrel length, but that "handy", good in the hand feeling.

Frank feels the pistol grip helps in reducing felt recoil.

Will try to catch up with Frank and go shoot it some time soon.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

For some the pistol grip helps a lot with recoil.
Sincerely,

Hobie